Mario Kart DLC Pack 2 details

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atariboy

Mario Kart DLC Pack 2 details

Postby Atariboy » April 14th, 2015, 11:18 pm

Hopefully this thread goes better than the last...

Anyways, Nintendo has announced what the track list is going to be.

Baby Park (GCN)
Ribbon Road (GBA)
Neo Bowser City (3DS)
Cheese Land (GBA)
Nature Road
Big Blue (F-Zero)
Lingling Metro
Animal Crossing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2O6mYqmUXU

Not crazy about Baby Park (I wish we were getting a Metroid themed course instead), but I can't wait to check them all out.

Hopefully we get some multiplayer going later this month (The release date has been pushed up to April 23rd). Never got around to joining in last year.

Rev

Re: Mario Kart DLC Pack 2 details

Postby Rev » April 15th, 2015, 10:28 am

Yeah this is good news. I wish the dlc packs would have more new stages but this is still a nice new set of stages. I got to get back in to Mario kart.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 15th, 2015, 6:53 pm

At least the two GBA tracks are so changed up, that they're almost unrecognizable outside of their theme. So it's really more like 6 of the 8 tracks are original.

Looking forward to Sunset Wilds, another Super Circuit track, getting similar treatment in some future Mario Kart release. As far as I can recall, this is the only circuit in this series that starts off in the daylight and transitions to nighttime by the last lap of the race. No other track had transitional lighting like that.

I'm sure that would've been impressive looking in Mario Kart 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oo_agDEI4w

And I guess it's worth mentioning the new 200 cc mode. I guess you even have to use your brakes in that mode, something that's completely unfamiliar to the world of Mario Kart.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 16th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Atariboy wrote:And I guess it's worth mentioning the new 200 cc mode. I guess you even have to use your brakes in that mode, something that's completely unfamiliar to the world of Mario Kart.

Does your kart go that much faster? Wouldn't drifting pretty much solve the problem? Is anyone playing this online? Might pick up the DLC soon so it'd be cool to play some people from the forum. I'd have to get back in the groove though. It's been a while.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 16th, 2015, 7:47 pm

The patch that adds this is not out until the DLC itself, but the impressions I've read (And seen, such as with the video linked to above), it's definitely a big increase in speed. Just look how far you can jump on the F-Zero track for an easy comparison. There's no way as far as I can see it, that you'd ever land anywhere close to the start/finish line like you see in that 200 cc demonstration video when running at 150 cc.

From what I've read, I think those of us that go with the lightweight characters with superior handling and acceleration can still primarily rely on drifting in all but perhaps the toughest of corners. But if one prefers the higher top speed classes like Wario, I guess braking suddenly becomes very important with this boost in speed.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 7th, 2015, 4:54 am

More DLC?

From Nintendo's recent financial report for the fiscal year that just concluded...

"For "Nintendo 3DS" and "Wii U," in addition to maintaining the performance of already-released titles with strong sales potential, new titles will continue to be introduced in order to further expand the installed bases. Specifically, by sequentially introducing additional download content for blockbuster titles such as "Mario Kart 8" and "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U," we aim to keep these titles played more actively."

That's from the section outlining their plans for the next 12 months. Sure sounds like more DLC packs, to me. :)

Sut

Postby Sut » May 8th, 2015, 8:26 am

Sounds like Nintendo haven't got any new IP's or anything of interest apart from Zelda coming up. So they are going to flog (ie keep alive/relevant) their older games to tide customers over until their new system is ready.

But are gamers seriously going to play DLC for another year or two and not move on to the PS4 or Xbone ?

Return to “Modern Gaming”