9/21/2006: Nintendo DS: Brain Age, Break 'Em All, Point Blank DS

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
a1

Postby a1 » September 22nd, 2006, 7:45 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Brain age isn't "educational" by any stretch of the imagination.  It is rudimentary even for infants school kids (the under 7s bracket).

[/QUOTE]

The game isn't designed to teach you, only to keep your mind sharp (I am not arguing that it does or does not acheive this mind you). We all know that even little kids can read and do basic arithmetic. What matters in the game is how quickly you can perform these tasks.

a1

Postby a1 » September 22nd, 2006, 7:46 pm

[QUOTE=Linkdude]

Yep. I do every single training exercise and my brain age check. It's pretty cool, since my alarm clock on my DS helps me get up.
[/QUOTE]

I must say I am impressed.

a1

Postby a1 » September 22nd, 2006, 7:47 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]And yes, not only do you look somewhat foolish when you sit there talking to your DS, you have to practically yell the word for the thing to pick it up, and often multiple times, because it has somewhat of a problem understanding what I'm saying. Yeah.[/QUOTE]

That game could not understand when I tried to say "blue". Maybe if I tried saying "brue" it might understand me.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » September 23rd, 2006, 12:34 am

..Yay!, at last a brick-bashing game on the DS! Since the DS won't take GB or GBC games I've been needing this-oh and I've PLAYED this too, perhaps under a different name but the whole "power up" thing is familiar.... I am confused on Point Blank now! First I wanted it, then Zen, Shawn and everyone said it was junk...now critic says it is FUN!? Wish I could RENT or borrow these things....Brain Age I have no interest as I don't like puzzles, period. Good reviews, if confoosing! (:

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » September 23rd, 2006, 1:15 am

I consider my purchase of Point Blank DS to be a complete waste of money. You see everything this game has to offer in the first 30 minutes you play it. This game has no lasting value or appeal whatsoever.

Maybe Dave liked it more because he didn't continue, there's no penality for contuning, and if you keep continuing, you'll see the "point" I made above.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 24th, 2006, 11:19 am

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]I consider my purchase of Point Blank DS to be a complete waste of money. You see everything this game has to offer in the first 30 minutes you play it. This game has no lasting value or appeal whatsoever.

Maybe Dave liked it more because he didn't continue, there's no penality for contuning, and if you keep continuing, you'll see the "point" I made above.
[/QUOTE]

This is an important point - do NOT use the continue function!  I have no idea why it's even in there.  It's like using the infinite continues on a vertical shooter and then complaining about how you finished it in a half hour. 

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » September 26th, 2006, 1:01 am

Eh, sorry Dave, that analogy doesn't fit with this game. I own tons and tons of shooters with unlimited continues, and I love to play them over and over after beating them quickly.

Point Blank DS is simply "not enough game" to justify spending 30 bucks on. There's really no incentive to keep replaying this game to get better at it. This game is just plain boring, overly simplistic, and lacks variety.

I wouldn't use the harsh words of Shawn, but this game should only retail for 14.99, not full price.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » September 26th, 2006, 9:33 am

I guess I was harsh but the point I was trying to make is that even though I respect the VGC a great deal I just think his review of Point Blank is just...well...terrible. I don't want people to make the same mistake I did... throwing down $30 for this game just to realize it is a piece of crap. I think when I traded it in a few days later I got a whopping $5 for it! Argh!

Dennis

Postby Dennis » January 1st, 2007, 8:55 pm

Well, I FINALLY got Point Blank DS.  I'm a HUGE PB fan (it's my favorite light gun game of all time), and I like the DS version too, but the big problem is that EVERY SINGLE MINI-GAME IS A REPEAT from previous games.  That was really disappointing to me.

I also hate how there are no options.  I'd like to be able to play 16 rounds per game like in the arcade, but you're stuck with 8.  And also, the game where you protect Don as he plays the violin has a very pretty piano concerto in the background on the PS1 version, but here it's the same generic music.

Still, I like it.

Return to “Review Feedback”