Idea for a Theme Week

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Idea for a Theme Week

Postby scotland » May 2nd, 2015, 6:52 am

I was just thinking the boards have been less active then in the past, and looking for ways to encourage more participation. What about a theme week?

Dave does have seasonal sort of themes, but I was thinking something for just a week or so, and more focused than 'scary' or 'summer time' games. This week, with May the Fourth, lends itself to playing Star Wars games. There is Shark Week in August. Or maybe an NES or Atari week, since many gamers have access to games on those systems. Or a week about shooters, or platformers, or arcade ports? We could have a pirate theme for Talk like a Pirate Day, or games with monkeys in late January (bonus points for figuring out why). E3 is coming up, and maybe that could celebrated in some way. Pac Man's 35th anniversary in North America is coming up, so a Pac Man week would be great.

During a theme week we could post about our favorite games of the theme, have high score contests, talk about their impact on gaming, encourage Dave to do some themed reviews.

What do you think?

Hardcore Sadism

Re: Idea for a Theme Week

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 2nd, 2015, 5:15 pm

How about Skate Week, all Tony Hawk games plus other oldies involving a board with trucks and four wheels. :P

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » May 2nd, 2015, 6:08 pm

Hardcore Sadism wrote:How about Skate Week, all Tony Hawk games plus other oldies involving a board with trucks and four wheels. :P

I don't have any skating games, but have been meaning to put a lot of time into 1080 snowboarding if that counts.

80s and 90s weeks are a must (or early-mid and mid-late 80s and 90s to divide it better).

I really like this idea. It'd be great for the "Now Playing" section, as that board seems pretty slow most of the time.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 3rd, 2015, 9:04 am

Like the idea and it's something that we could mix up. A particular system, series, genre, generation, time period.

Might be an idea to make it longer than a week so more people get chance to join (fortnightly ?).

Perhaps a vote system for the next 'now playing' theme would be good too ? Also some management would be needed to mix things up and avoid repetition as you wouldn't want constant beat em ups, shooters or RPG's. Keep it varied.

I like the fact it might open me up to games, time periods or even genres I've not had much experience with. Like PT's current Uncharted thread it's good to read other viewpoints that don't always match your own.

Jon I presume would love a Jaguar or Neo Geo week ?

Rev

Postby Rev » May 3rd, 2015, 4:46 pm

This is a great idea and I like a lot of the ideas that people have shared. Having a beat'em up week or 80's week, or anything would be a cool idea. Great idea Scotland.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 3rd, 2015, 7:10 pm

Just got my girls a trampoline so for me it's {Trampoline Week}. Only game that come to mind are Super Mario Bros. & Mappy.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » May 3rd, 2015, 7:19 pm

Tron wrote:Just got my girls a trampoline so for me it's {Trampoline Week}. Only game that come to mind are Super Mario Bros. & Mappy.

Mappy! I LOVE Mappy. We should do Mappy month. Or Mappy year.

I had the Famicom one as a kid (we had one of those pirate carts), and I also had this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6pekrnxGs

I need (NEED) to rebuy this. I have no idea where it went. I can't believe I would have sold it.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 4th, 2015, 10:54 pm

I think a Zelda or Mario Week would be awesome. It would also be cool to have system specific weeks, like SNES Week, Genesis Week, PS1 Week, etc. Licensed Game Week could be fun as well.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 5th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Good ideas. Let's keep them coming.

I think themes should be not too large (instead of Mario, something like Mario in the 80s), and we should put a couple forward at once so gamers will be likely to like at least one of the upcoming themes. That way, if the next theme is a system that someone doesn't have or a genre they don't appreciate, they don't feel left out as they can see some upcoming themes.

How about something like this for a start to theme week/fortnight:

In June (for E3), something modern - like "Xbox360" or 'Best of the 8th Generation so far' or "Modern Gaming - Pros and Cons' or something forward looking.

In August Vietnam in Video Games (50th anniversary)

In September, (maybe for Back to School) Beat'em ups

In November, (to celebrate 35th anniversary of Pac Man in North America) - All things Pac Man, plus other Maze Cat&Mouse games.

What do you think?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » May 5th, 2015, 7:04 pm

JRPG WEEK!!! :twisted:

Also, stealth week, extreme violence and gore week, classic adventure game week...the possibilities are endless!

Return to “Video Games General”