Favorite Star Wars Game

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Favorite Star Wars Game

Postby ActRaiser » May 4th, 2015, 9:44 am

It is May the Forth Be With You day after all.

As a result, what's everyone's favorite Star Wars game?

For me there are 3 that easily come to mind.

Knights of the Old Republic
TIE Fighter
Rogue Squadron 2

But out the three I'd go with Knights of the Old Republic. Because really who can resist a game with one liners involving Meat Bags?

:D

scotland

Re: Favorite Star Wars Game

Postby scotland » May 4th, 2015, 11:43 am

That's no moon.

Star Wars Arcade. Yes, a movie tie in game that is awesome. You are Red Five, going in with your sentient droid and a 'The Force is my Co-Pilot" bumper sticker.

There is an inexpensive Jakks Pacific plug n play that is just a yoke with motion controls that is not a bad call back to the original game. Most of the Star Wars themed plug n plays are disappointing, but this one is fun enough.

The Empire Strikes Back game for the Atari 2600 was actually fun. Incredibly repetitive, but at least fun. The Commodore 64 had a version, but without a license, they just made the walkers giant mutant camels. Hey, it was the 80s, mutant anything was the rule of the day. Surprisingly, that game's art has been featured in the Smithsonian...maybe the Smithsonian didn't want to pay George Lucas either.

The Star Wars Battlefront series of shooters totally sucked me in, and the Star Wars Jedi Knight series with Kyle Katarn became part of my permanent Star Wars portion of my brain, even if that too, is no longer canon. I think the Lego Series really grew its beard with Lego Star Wars too.

How about the worst Star Wars games? From strictly a story point of view, the Force Unleashed. I read the book one summer day, and it was...a video game in book form about Darth's secret apprentice ...and at the time, EU canon! Made me Sith to my stomach.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 4th, 2015, 12:39 pm

I think super star wars empire strikes back is my favorite. Hard as balls but it was a really fun title. It seems like a lot of the star wars games nowadays are a lot of space ship games, shooters, and stuff. Nothing wrong with that but I really like platformers which are on a lot of the older systems. I remember the star wars arcade game which was also really cool..

scotland

Postby scotland » March 1st, 2016, 7:25 pm

Humble Bundle has an interesting offer for Star Wars video game fans:
https://www.humblebundle.com/star-wars

About $10 will get you KOTOR, Lego Star Wars, Tie Fighter, X-wing, some other games and stuff.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 1st, 2016, 7:36 pm

I'd go with Super Empire Strikes Back (SNES), which I just re-reviewed (stay tuned). Plenty of variety, SNOW, fantastic audio, and an AT-AT stage that really pushes the limits of 16 bits. Plus it was the first Super Star Wars game with a password feature.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » March 9th, 2016, 10:08 am

scotland wrote:Humble Bundle has an interesting offer for Star Wars video game fans:
https://www.humblebundle.com/star-wars

About $10 will get you KOTOR, Lego Star Wars, Tie Fighter, X-wing, some other games and stuff.

Holy crap, thank you! I'm buying this today :)

Okay, topic-time...

I was a huge Star Wars fan growing up. I didn't like much else, any toys I had, it was them VERSUS THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE. That said, I loved Star wars games, and still do.

1. Super Star Wars Trilogy (SNES) - I still remember seeing a copy of EGM at the local pharmacy with Super Star Wars on the cover. I was so friggin excited. I must have read and reread the magazine a hundred times. When it finally came out, it didn't disappoint: fantastic graphics, great mode 7 stages, tight controls, and crushing difficulty - my kind of game! The sequels kept it coming with some of the best the SNES has to offer.

2. Knights of the Old Republic (XBox) - It took some convincing by an old friend for me to play this game. I wasn't into RPG's and it just didn't look like my thing. I couldn't have been more wrong. Great graphics, a story that changed as you played, a myriad of choices no matter the situation, and the biggest of them all: to be Jedi or Sith was your choice. I burned out three XBoxes playing this title. No regrets. NOTE: The sequel is good but development was cut at the end, nerfing hours of content. This was eventually completed by modders for the PC version...which I will now play, thanks to the link above.

3. Star Wars: Jedi Outcast (Gamecube/Xbox) - This game. THIS game. I wasn't into the Star Wars PC games whatsoever past Dark Forces. This game (effectively Dark Forces III) changed that, but it didn't bring me back to PC. I saw it advertised and I had to have it. Finding it was a giant pain in the ass (literally nowhere had it), so I ended up buying a disc only copy from some guy on ebay. What a great game. The story was fantastic, the game was HARD, and just beating a level was an accomplishment. Besides the story mode, there was an exceptional multiplayer mode where you and a friend could face up to 10 bots on the Gamecube or 14 on the XBox. You could also play in arenas specific to player vs. player combat, and each player could tailor their character's force powers. I eventually bought all versions of this game.

4. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Wii) - I initially played this on the XBox 360 and found it to be utterly boring. Last year I picked up a big lot of Wii games and decided to give the game another shot. Woo what a difference those Wii controls make! Picking up and slamming stormtroopers, flinging objects around, lightsaber battles, everything was far more fun. The story was lame, some of the graphics were bad, and camera angles during boss fights could be a real pain in the ass. That said, I'd play it again. NOTE: The sequel changes the controls for the worse and is overall a shoddy piece of work. Don't buy it on any system.

5. Star Wars: The Arcade Game (Arcade) - "Use the force, Luke!" I still remember hearing that in all its' garbled glory. There was a sit-down version of this game at the arcade I frequented with my Dad. What a great time. Great vector graphics, music, Obi-Wan's voice, and a slick controller made this more of an experience than a game. It still stands up.

6. Star Wars (GameBoy) - I never had an NES growing up, but I did have a GameBoy. When this port was released I was all over it. As of late this game gets lambasted by just about everybody, but I loved it and still do. Exploring Tatooine, flying the falcon, rescuing Leia, and flying down the trench were all there. Above all, there was a real challenge to the game, which made me love it more. NOTE: Don't play the sequel. It's outright garbage.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 11th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Shadows of the Empire (N64) - This game is pretty rough to play now, having released shortly after the N64 launched, but back in the day it was mind-blowing. Being part of the battle of Hoth to start the game was incredible, and later getting to fight Boba Fett and blow up the death star were just as amazing. It certainly isn't the best Star Wars game, but I think I'm not alone in remembering it the most fondly.

SilveryFire

Postby SilveryFire » March 11th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Can't say there's been a Star Wars game that really grabbed me. The Snes games were pretty and sounded nice but that's where the good things end. The controls were loose and level design/enemy placement was nonexistent. They just nailed you with cheap hits from stupid respawning enemies.

Those Rogue games feel like flight simulators, not my cup of tea. The only solid one I've played through was the Game Gear Star Wars. And I actually kinda liked that PS1 FPS game. Probably doesn't hold up well now, was a good Doom-a-like for the time

JudyMcCoy

Postby JudyMcCoy » May 4th, 2016, 4:37 am

One of my favorites are
Star wars: The Old republic
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Kinect Star Wars
Star Wars: Empire at War

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » May 4th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Good choices Judy! Welcome to the site, it's a fun place.

Return to “Video Games General”