Yooka-Laylee - A 3D Platformer Rare-vival!

General and high profile video game topics.
ESauce

Yooka-Laylee - A 3D Platformer Rare-vival!

Postby ESauce » May 1st, 2015, 2:26 pm

I know that not everyone is a fan of kickstarters but there's one now for a 3d platformed in the spirit of Banjo-Kazooie which is being made by a bunch of former Rare employees. It looks fantastic. Its £15 to back for a console edition (about $24), or £10 for a steam copy.

If you have fond memories of the 64 era then you owe it to yourself to back this. Lots of stretch goals so the more backers the better the game.

jon

Re: Yooka-Laylee - A 3D Platformer Rare-vival!

Postby jon » May 1st, 2015, 8:29 pm

Banjo Kazooie was right on the edge of, how should I say this, cheesiness for me, but I let myself go and it was fun. This is the most ridiculous, wimpy crap I've ever seen. So skilled programmers can go rogue and put this much effort into 3d platforming type game that's been pounded into the ground for years, and ask for our hard earned money nonetheless, but no one can do anything advanced with 2d since it basically got shelved in the mid 90s? Way to go guys.

jon

Postby jon » May 1st, 2015, 8:44 pm

And I only liked Banjo Kazooie when I was a lot younger. And that was probably only because the N64 put out like 10 games a year back then. Is there some law against putting out advanced 2d games I don't know about?

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 1st, 2015, 9:50 pm

But 3D platformers have been pretty much dead for years. 2D platformers have been flourishing and outnumber 3d platformers nowadays. We could use a new IP. And it's influenced by Rare's N64 games, particularly Banjo-Kazooie. Plus, it's made by former Rare devs who worked for the company during its golden age. Add in an OST by Grant Kirkhope and David Wise, and I don't see how it's possible not to be excited.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 1st, 2015, 10:38 pm

jon wrote:Banjo Kazooie was right on the edge of, how should I say this, cheesiness for me, but I let myself go and it was fun. This is the most ridiculous, wimpy crap I've ever seen. So skilled programmers can go rogue and put this much effort into 3d platforming type game that's been pounded into the ground for years, and ask for our hard earned money nonetheless, but no one can do anything advanced with 2d since it basically got shelved in the mid 90s? Way to go guys.

I feel like this is the equivalent of me cheerfully saying "I enjoy chocolate ice cream." and you responding by spitting in my face and screaming "Vanilla is king!."

Do you have to bring so much negativity here? There are dozens of recent 2d platformers for you to play. Can't you go enjoy them and leave the people who want to enjoy other things alone?

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 1st, 2015, 11:16 pm

jon wrote:Banjo Kazooie was right on the edge of, how should I say this, cheesiness for me, but I let myself go and it was fun. This is the most ridiculous, wimpy crap I've ever seen.

Hint: You're not an interesting person.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 2nd, 2015, 11:14 am

An update, this had passed all the original stretch goals, raking in over £1,000,000 in pledges!. So it will now have a 2-player co-op mode and a 2-4 player mode as well, plus it will release simultaneously on PC, Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One. Woohoo. They've added a couple more stretch goals. One is to add a 64 bit style shader and a DK rap to the end credits.

I'm very excited for this game.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 3rd, 2015, 4:45 pm

I like the idea of kickstarters a lot, but the main problem I have with them is that if it is a game, they never seem to release a physical copy of the game. Now we are at a place where games that were once available for download are no longer available in any form. I hate the idea that if I downloaded the game on my Wii U (or eventually a PS4, Xbox One), if that console ever dies I lose everything. I know this is a common complaint but I just don't see the appeal. We've already seen several games be removed from the download store that are no longer available. The sad part is that I wanted to play the games but now the only way to get it is to buy someone's used console that has the game on it.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 7th, 2015, 11:17 am

This is on its way to hit its stretch goal of £1.5 million, which will add orchestrated music by some of the best composers in gaming. If you enjoy the music of the Donkey Kong Country series (including Donkey Kong Country 2), Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie or the fantastic Castle of Illusion remake soundtrack, then you know that this is something to be excited about. I'm crossing my fingers that it hits the goal. It has plenty of time left and an orchestrated score would be the cherry on top of what is one of my most anticipated games in years.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 7th, 2015, 11:43 am

ESauce wrote:It has plenty of time left and an orchestrated score would be the cherry on top of what is one of my most anticipated games in years.

"BUT BUT BUT IT'S NOT 2D, I CAN'T EXACTLY PINPOINT WHAT TECHNICAL CEILINGS AND 2D GRAPHICS HAVE TO DO WITH ONE ANOTHER."

I can't wait for this game to release and shut Jon up for good lol... :roll:

Return to “Video Games General”