ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

The readers post their own reviews.
a1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby a1 » September 27th, 2006, 5:51 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

a it doesn't seem like you're using ANY sort of logic here other than your love for nintendo.  The jump from what blue posted and what you responded are almost herculine in scale.  The game cube had lots of movie "games" just look at any of its rpgs.  And I highly doubt that would change for any reason.  All systems have those kind of games if you don't like them don't play them.  It's mostly a japanese developer thing anyway.  Stick to good western and europe made games and you should be set.

[/QUOTE]

Can all you do is call me a fanboy? First of all, the Cube had far less cutscenes in its games than the PS2 did. I don't play rpgs, but even platformers on PS2 had fairly long cutscenes compared to Gamecube games. Second, I don't mind cutscenes; I loved MGS2 and I have no problem watching sometimes intsead of playing.

All I'm saying is something that will probably be true SSX. So far all of the Wii games I have heard about have more of a focus on gameplay than graphics, and Nintendo hasn't touted their amazing cutscenes. If you recall correctly Sony said that all of the extra space on their discs could be used for cutscenes. I was merely kidding around about getting a Wii for lack of cutscenes (although it almost certainly will have less than 360 and PS3), and I'm not even taking a side on whether cutscenes are good or bad. Stop blowing things out of proportion SSX.

sega saturn x

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby sega saturn x » September 27th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Think what you like a but the reason cube games had less videos (which is debatable anyway) is because it didn't have any of the rpgs or other jap based games that are filled with them.  And the ones it did have DO have tons of them. 

You bring up nintendos consoles amazing prowess for making games sans videos.  But that just isn't true, so love minus logic does equal bias.  If the cube or wii do have less videos it's because it has less games not because game play is more important to the developers.

a1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby a1 » September 27th, 2006, 10:01 pm

SSX, I don't think first-party Nintendo games are made without videos because Nintendo values gameplay more; I don't really think the people at Nintendo know how to make them. Think what you want SSX, but all of the Cube games I have played have been nearly video free, while most of my PS2 games have plenty of cutscenes. None of my games for either system are RPGs.

I wasn't even serious when I told Alienblue to get a Wii because it is not a "PASSIVE system". Did you notice this sentence? "(under federal law "a" must plug the Wii on every page of these forums)". I was just joking about how you guys keep getting on my case for liking Wii. I have no bias for Nintendo, and I don't consider a lack of cutscenes to be a legitimate reason to buy a system or games. If a game has good gameplay than I don't care whether or not cutscenes are there or not, and in many cases it adds to the game, like with RE4's cheesy dialogue. A lack of cutscenes just happened to be a trend I noticed with Nintendo games.

sega saturn x

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby sega saturn x » September 27th, 2006, 11:03 pm

That "passive" thing was the only thing you were joking about.  The rest of what you said seemed quite straight to me.  And I simply corrected you, there are plenty of cube games that have tons of videos.  Great you haven't played them, they still exsist.  The same genres that have to many of them on the ps2 are on the cube in the same form. 

a1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby a1 » September 28th, 2006, 12:25 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

That "passive" thing was the only thing you were joking about.  The rest of what you said seemed quite straight to me.  And I simply corrected you, there are plenty of cube games that have tons of videos.  Great you haven't played them, they still exsist.  The same genres that have too many of them on the ps2 are on the cube in the same form. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the passive thing is all I was joking about, but what surprises me is how that ended up getting me into this argument with you. I don't think cutscenes will be as common on Wii as on PS3 mostly because, as I said, Sony has said the extra space on their discs can be used for cutscenes. Maybe lack of cutscenes will be a reason for Alienblue to buy a system, but it won't be for me, and I never said it was. I never even said it was a good thing SSX.

There are plenty of cube games that have tons of videos, but there aren't plenty of first-party Nintendo games that have tons of videos. Even Zelda was pretty light on that. I have no problem with cutscenes anyway SSX, so stop calling me a fanboy for something I have merely observed. I have also noticed that the c-stick on the Gamecube controller is retarded, and the d-pad is awful. Does that balance out my Nintendo observations enough for you to get off my back, and stop calling me a fanboy?

Alienblue

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby Alienblue » September 28th, 2006, 6:26 am

Guys..GUYS! Settle down here! Can't we all just get along?

No? Oh, okay.

Really, I need to clarify Alienblues remarks (omg I'm refering to myself in the third person, I have ZEN-itus! (: ) ; anyway I love nintendo AND sony AND sega, I am not and I don't think anyone here IS a fanboy. And I was just saying -certainly not all, but a LOT of mordern console games just have too much non-interactive action. It actually started innocently many years ago, like when Mario or sonic would win the "endgame" would play by itself, no interaction-fine-but then in the 16 bit era games started to BEGIN like that-ok also fine as long as I can bypass it. But it just seems to me that more and more, console games will suddenly "take the helm" and either control stuff FOR you -like "hand holding" -or switch to a lonnnng video. In some games there is more video than game! And nintendo may have less but they have SOME games with a lot of non-interactivity. I just hope people don't start getting BORED with games again! (Handhelds up till now have been free of this thanks to memory constraints but as memory gets cheaper, they will be "in danger" too!) Press RESTART! Lets go back to PONG and get it RIGHT this time! (:

sega saturn x

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby sega saturn x » September 28th, 2006, 2:39 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=sega saturn x]

That "passive" thing was the only thing you were joking about.  The rest of what you said seemed quite straight to me.  And I simply corrected you, there are plenty of cube games that have tons of videos.  Great you haven't played them, they still exsist.  The same genres that have too many of them on the ps2 are on the cube in the same form. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the passive thing is all I was joking about, but what surprises me is how that ended up getting me into this argument with you. I don't think cutscenes will be as common on Wii as on PS3 mostly because, as I said, Sony has said the extra space on their discs can be used for cutscenes. Maybe lack of cutscenes will be a reason for Alienblue to buy a system, but it won't be for me, and I never said it was. I never even said it was a good thing SSX.

There are plenty of cube games that have tons of videos, but there aren't plenty of first-party Nintendo games that have tons of videos. Even Zelda was pretty light on that. I have no problem with cutscenes anyway SSX, so stop calling me a fanboy for something I have merely observed. I have also noticed that the c-stick on the Gamecube controller is retarded, and the d-pad is awful. Does that balance out my Nintendo observations enough for you to get off my back, and stop calling me a fanboy?

[/QUOTE]

I never called you a fan boy, I called you biased which you are.  You have bias toward nintendo, that doesn't make you a fan boy automatically since you retained your sense of reason.  However it does mean you will take every chance you get to press on of the products on someone and defend them.  And you have done both here.

a1

ToCa Race Driver 3/PS2

Postby a1 » September 28th, 2006, 6:00 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

I never called you a fan boy, I called you biased which you are.  You have bias toward nintendo, that doesn't make you a fan boy automatically since you retained your sense of reason.  However it does mean you will take every chance you get to press on of the products on someone and defend them.  And you have done both here.[/QUOTE]

It all means the same thing to me SSX. I do not have a bias towards Nintendo, but maybe I have a bias towards Wii. I don't really think a lack of cutscenes is a plus or a minus, it is just something I think I've seen in Nintendo games. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I've just played the games that don't have many cutscenes. I am not defending or pressing Gamecube products on anyone; in fact I think it is better that Alienblue got a PS2. I tell people I like Wii, and I have defended it, but if you recall correctly when you were complaining about it I said you may be better off buying a 360 and giving the Wii a while before you buy it.

Return to “Reader Reviews”