PS2 via HD component cable 480i

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut

PS2 via HD component cable 480i

Postby Sut » June 18th, 2015, 5:43 pm

I've mentioned on another thread I've taken interest in Sega's post Dreamcast offerings and picked myself up a copy of Out Run Coast 2 Coast. Whilst loading the game I noticed an option for 480i progressive. My then set up didn't support this. So a quick jump onto eBay and a measly £2.92 later I now have my PS2 hooked up via HD component - Wow !

It looks brilliant, I'm staggered how a console from 2 generations ago looks so good. So if you've still got a PS2 and your not using it on a HD TV, buy a cable and hook it up, you won't be disappointed.

Rev

Re: PS2 via HD component cable 480i

Postby Rev » June 18th, 2015, 6:35 pm

I was actually quite interested in doing this but I'm confused on how it works (I'm not very educated in what cables do what). What are some of the cables I would need to make this work? Consoles I own that I would like to put on my HD tv include the following:
Sega Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and NGC. I own the Red, White, and yellow cables for them. Would there be something (that someone currently uses in their own setup) that would work for these? Am I using the right cables?

I watched a recent video from MetalJesusRocks and he showed his setup but honestly I was confused on what he was doing and the items he used.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 18th, 2015, 6:43 pm

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB

This is what I got for the PS2. Make sure your HDTV has the required sockets. It's similar to the AV cables but this is 5 rather than 3 leads so you would have green (or yellow), blue, 2 red and a white.
Atari Anthology Asteroids looks great on it.

Also a lot of PS2 games don't broadcast the fact they can run in 480 you need to hold down the triangle button - see here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... HD_support

Rev

Postby Rev » June 18th, 2015, 11:06 pm

Thanks Sut, I checked my tv and it doesn't have spots for those types of cables so I don't think that will work for me. Are their boxes you can get that route to an HDMI cable? Anyone try those? Are they worth the investment (not sure on costs or what to look for really)?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 18th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Rev wrote:Thanks Sut, I checked my tv and it doesn't have spots for those types of cables so I don't think that will work for me. Are their boxes you can get that route to an HDMI cable? Anyone try those? Are they worth the investment (not sure on costs or what to look for really)?

Yes, there is a box that will suit your needs. It may be more than you're willing to spend but I can assure you that it's worth it. You can pay $40 for one that was made in Hong Kong and will work fine (just make sure there's a return policy) or you can get a Lumagen or Framemeester for $200-$500 depending on the model.

What you would need is a SCART to HDMI converter box. The cable you need is a PS2 SCART RGB cable. Connect SCART cable to PS2, connect cable to converter box, turn converter box on, and connect it to the TV via an HDMI cable from the HDMI out port on the box. In games which support it, use progressive scan and/or 16:9 ratio. What you're getting is RGB video, the purest, most accurate colors and crispest image quality possible from a PS2.

I do not own one of these boxes but a similar one which converts the RGB signal (from SCART) to YUV component. That allows me to use it for anything from the Genesis to the Dreamcast. It also doesn't take up a precious HDMI port on my fairly old HDTV which only has 2.

Rev

Postby Rev » June 19th, 2015, 10:41 am

Thanks a lot ptedebate! I will look into it.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 30th, 2015, 8:55 am

By the way, after doing some research, this seems to be the box to get:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D86UYB ... ref=plSrch

I'm planning on getting one myself because my component box seems to have stopped working. Also it will allow me to take my n64 to my friends' houses and plug it into TVs that only have digital inputs.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 1st, 2015, 1:55 am

ptdebate wrote:By the way, after doing some research, this seems to be the box to get:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D86UYB ... ref=plSrch

I've been researching these devices for use with a PAL PS2, but the hold up is proper 4:3 support.

My Euro PS2 collection is mostly 4:3 and these adapters that all look the same, often receive complaints that everything is stretched to 16:9 proportions. Not such a problem if one has an HDTV that allows for an incorrect 16:9 HD signal to be narrowed down to 4:3 proportions via the tv's display options, but that's not such a common feature (And is one that my set doesn't have).

That one that you've linked to and this one below both seem to have that complaint about being unable to output pillarboxed 4:3. They also appear to be the same product beyond some superficial changes.

http://www.amazon.com/CKITZE-BG-460-Sys ... B00988GMLG

This one also appears to be the same product, but a review states that everything is output at pillarboxed 4:3, with no option to stretch to anamorphic widescreen titles to 16:9 (i.e., the ideal choice for classic consoles since even widescreen PS2 titles and such can be set to display in 4:3, where as 4:3 only titles can't go the other way without distortion).

http://www.amazon.com/Scart-Video-Conve ... op?ie=UTF8

For the purists that want their games displayed at their original aspect ratio, this is something to keep in mind...

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 1st, 2015, 10:53 am

Ah, good point Atariboy.

My TV thankfully does have the option to shrink a 16:9 signal into 4:3 space. With the N64 it's not as big of a deal as with the PS2, though. The graphics are already so abstract that you start to not notice the difference between stretched and true ratio.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 11th, 2018, 3:57 am

This was actually next on my list to buy, since I've finally accepted the fact that the Framemeister can't magically take composite and make it look like a crystal clear 1080p signal (Though it really does a remarkable job trying). I actually need to buy a component switchbox, since I use it for my XBox, and get this, my Gamecube. I bought the Gamecube component cables like ten, fifteen years ago for 50 bucks, now I'm seeing them go for almost $300!

I'm quite pleased that I see the PS2 components for six bucks.

Return to “Classic Gaming”