Factual error thread

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
eneuman96

Factual error thread

Postby eneuman96 » June 30th, 2015, 9:47 pm

With all the reviews the Critic has written over the years, it's only natural that not all of them are 100% accurate regarding the games they cover. The idea is to make this a sister thread to the typo thread, where we point out things the Critic writes about certain games that are factually incorrect and that you'd appreciate if he corrected. This has nothing to do with your opinions versus his. This is only for objectively untrue statements in the reviews. To start off:

-Mega Man 3 (NES): "The fat cat in Top Man's stage is impossible to beat without a special weapon..."

It can definitely be beaten with the arm cannon. It takes a few more shots than most non-boss enemies, but it's not at all impossible.

-Punch-Out (NES): "From what I've heard, Mr. Dream is easier to defeat than Mike Tyson originally was."

Mr. Dream fights exactly the same as Mike Tyson does.

-King of Fighters '99 (Neo Geo): "Another source of confusion is the intro which refers to this as "episode 5". It's six by my count!"

KoF '99 is indeed the sixth game released, but since KoF '98 didn't have a storyline like most of the others do, it's not considered to be an "episode" of the series.

-Mega Man Powered Up (PSP): "Defeating a boss not only awards you his weapon, but also allows you to replay the game using that boss...You can't "kill" a boss in this politically correct age, so Mega Man always has to ask his defeated foe, "Are you okay?""

Both of these only happen if you defeat the Robot Master with the arm cannon. If you defeat it with another Robot Master's weapon, not only does it die like in any other Mega Man game, but Mega Man jumps up victoriously. Not very politically correct if you ask me.

-Todd's Adventures in Slime World (Lynx): "It's not obvious when you're taking damage, and you often drop dead for no apparent reason."

Your character changes color as he takes damage. The darker he is, the closer he is to dying.

-Yoshi's Island DS (Nintendo DS): "Instead you use the pressure-sensitive buttons to perform jumps of varying heights. I didn't even know those buttons were pressure-sensitive!"

This particular line of the review acts like it isn't already the norm for sidescrolling platformers to have you jump higher the longer you hold the button and it's just plain confusing in the context of the review.

Go ahead and feel free to add any other errors you've found regarding information about the games being reviewed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Factual error thread

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 3rd, 2015, 10:28 am

You make some good points and I think a lot of them are legitimate. I don't mind you guys calling me out on them.
However keep in mind a lot of times my writing contains exaggerations, personal observations, and lines used for comic effect.
Not everything should be taken literally.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 3rd, 2015, 10:56 am

I think this thread should be reserved for things that are obviously wrong like for example:

"GTA takes place in China"

Obviously this information is wrong (I just made it up) and he listed it as fact. There isn't any humor/exaggeration tied to the writing. A lot of the items posted on here would take out the (IMO) obvious humor of his writing. It's good to get your facts straight but a lot of these are exaggerations he uses in his reviews for comedic effect.

GamingTheSystems

Postby GamingTheSystems » July 3rd, 2015, 3:34 pm

This thread is a good idea. The Colony Wars review has some issues. It says James Earl Jones narrates the game, but he does not. Also, it says it takes 20 hits to destroy an enemy. Not if you know how to use the two types of weapons. One destroys the enemy's shield, and the other destroys the ships. It says he stuck to one type of laser. That will work, but will take a long time.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 3rd, 2015, 3:46 pm

If omissions count as errors, then the Destination Earthstar review has a massive error: it doesn't mention anything at all about the shmup half of the game!

A person reading that review would think it's just another clone of Star Voyager, Star Raiders, etc. But the whole gimmick of Destination Earthstar is that each space sim level is followed by a horizontally-scrolling shmup level where you fly into the planet and take on enemies.

I'm afraid the whole review really needs a rewrite.

RudeGravity

Postby RudeGravity » July 6th, 2015, 3:32 pm

"Your spaceman (in a jet-pack) can absorb several hits, but remarkably, your health isn't displayed anywhere on the screen!"

Yes it is and it's clearly visible in the screen shot ("E = 20/20").
It's right to the section number. E stands for Energy. First number is the amount of hit points you have and the second number is the maximum account of hit points you can have. After every (mini)-boss fight your maximum amount of hit points will increase.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 10th, 2015, 12:11 pm

^Might help to specify the game you mean (Section Z for NES). BTW I loved that game -- I don't understand why it gets panned.

Maks

Postby Maks » July 31st, 2015, 6:33 pm

I remember a more appropriate thread for what I'm about to write, but can't find it and it's Friday so I'm done putting forth an effort in anything :)

In the Neo Geo console review it states that games were programmed inefficiently to consume maximize space, this is not true. The actual game code is rather small compared to graphics and sound. The later games focus mainly on ADPCM music instead of FM, which takes of large amounts of storage.

Not a factual error, but an update: There is a UniBIOS setup now available for the Neo CD, but not the CDZ due to space issues.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 31st, 2015, 7:07 pm

Critic, there is a Mistake you made where you say the Lego Pirates of the Caribbean 3DS version is better then the Xbox 360 edition, but you gave the 3DS version a B grade, while the Xbox 360 edition gets a A- grade?

Also the line where you say the vector graphics can be hard to make out in the Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1 is outdated information as it is easier to see if you have the New Nintendo 3DS XL system.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 3rd, 2015, 8:44 pm

I've noticed a couple of odd release dates.
Dark Seed for Sega Saturn is listed as 1993. The Saturn wasn't even released until 94 in Japan. Wikipedia lists the release as 1995 for the Saturn version, if we trust them as a source. There was a version released for the Amiga in 1993.

Return to “Review Feedback”