who agrees with dustin Hoffman..

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Tina

who agrees with dustin Hoffman..

Postby Tina » July 11th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Recently he was quoted as saying film is in a sorry state but tv is great. I agree with him, there hasn't been a movie I felt the urge to go see at a theater for years. Nothing to original, how many comic book movies must we see, oh and throw in a pixar movie for good measure. Just blah really.
I am excited about some fall dramas coming on pbs of all places.

ptdebate

Re: who agrees with dustin Hoffman..

Postby ptdebate » July 11th, 2015, 7:16 pm

I agree about TV--American television is quite possibly the best it's ever been. A lot of major films, on the other hand, don't seem to be breaking any new ground but rather recycle the same old tropes (Interstellar, Prometheus) or remake old content in a markedly inferior way (Total Recall, The Thing).

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 11th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Personally I don't agree with him at all, I think movies are pretty damn good nowadays. I'm honestly not into those critically acclaimed TV dramas like Breaking Bad and Mad Men like most people are(and I was especially not into LOST, never got what the big deal about that show was) i'm more into sitcoms like Big Bang Theory, Two Broke Girls, Whitney, etc.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 11th, 2015, 8:26 pm

I can see what he's talking about... Movies tend to recycle the same things over and over again and seems to be stuck in a habit of remaking older movies or releasing sequels; however, there are still plenty of original movies to watch if you look hard enough. For example, three of the horror movies I loved from last year- It Follows, The Babadook, and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, were all highly original films. 2 of the 3 I mentioned were foreign films, which could have something to do with it. I think it is really the big companies that are having a hard time making something original, but if you look elsewhere there are still quite a few original things being released.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 11th, 2015, 11:21 pm

For me a film doesn't have to be original to be good, I don't care if a film uses familiar tropes as long it's entertaining and/or compelling.

jon

Postby jon » July 11th, 2015, 11:25 pm

I agree, although the new Jurassic Park was fantastic, way better than I thought it would, movies have gotten so bad it almost seems like reviewers have to lower their standards to keep on giving movies good reviews. It used to be, at least up until about 10 years ago, that if a movie got good reviews, you knew you could go see it and it would be good. Now, it's like you can't take anyone's word. I've seen so many movies the last few years that got 4 star reviews across the board that absolutely sucked *****. I'm talking ridiculous plot holes, unbelievable twists, just horrible. There have been some horrible ones, but I'd say the one that takes the cake is No Country For Old Men. It got such good reviews and then the ridiculous plot holes and garbage developments made me want to puke. Like, the main character stealing millions from a drug deal gone bad and then going back to give some dying drug dealer a jug of water. There are so many movies these days with just ridiculous plot developments that they want to pass as art. And a lot of movies I feel lead you up to a good ending but the whole first hour and a half sucked. Maybe they are trying to find new things to do because it's all been done before.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 12th, 2015, 2:38 am

Personally I never rely on movie critics to determine whether or not i'll see a film, as i've found that I often end up disliking several films that got a lot of critical praise(I.E. Birdman) and liking a lot of films that are critically slammed(I.E. The Gunman, Jupiter Ascending). I see whatever films look interesting to me, regardless of how many good/bad reviews they get.

Tina

Postby Tina » July 12th, 2015, 8:10 am

I didn't mind No country for Old men but I did not go to a theater to see it. We went to see Indiana Jones-Kingdom of the crystal Skull at the drive in, never have I been so disgusted and disappointed with a movie EVER !!!!! We were practically speechless while watching it, I kept thinking where am I in a Twilight Zone?? HORRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!

Sut

Postby Sut » July 12th, 2015, 5:34 pm

I'm somewhat in the middle.
Like Vexer I enjoy the big blockbuster movies very much. I've just watched Terminator Genisys and I think that film is modern cinema in a microcosm.
Yes it's entertaining and fun, yes there is some great fan service and memorable action sequences. But it lacks the pacing and story telling of the first two films which are imo masterpieces.
So it's enjoyable enough but not 'great' either and plays it very safe. Like with the Transformers franchise I wish they would go darker and target a more mature audience.

Regarding American TV it has definitely upped it's game. I very much enjoy Falling Skies, Walking Dead, Good Wife and Blacklist in particular. British TV drama's are embarrassing in comparison. The writing at times is top notch and movie quality actors are now featuring along with the improved budgets.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 13th, 2015, 10:01 pm

I agree. Here's why:

1. Movie minimum is at least 90 minutes. Usually they are 2+ hours. Tv is 45 minutes. Who wants to sit that long?

2. Movies are one story unless you count sequels. Tv can do so much more character building, plot building and etc.

3. Skip commercials. Now with DVR & cheap DVDs you can watch tv commercial free. Every once in awhile someone asks me if I've watched such & such commercial. I answer, "I don't watch commercials".

4. Budgets for tv have skyrocketed. Tv & the dreaded TV movies were always considered 2nd rate. Now studios are investing big in tv & it shows.

5. Main characters die. When they die in a movie you've had a brief time period to get to know them anyway. When you see someone die that's been on the show for a whole season or two it's incredible.

6. Guest stars rule. How cool is it to see a new character that you like the actor from something else.

As I wrote this I was thinking of Walking Dead.

Return to “Other Media”