Music Biz - Streaming, Piracy, itunes

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
scotland

Music Biz - Streaming, Piracy, itunes

Postby scotland » July 15th, 2015, 10:01 am

Here is an image about the music industry over 40 years
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/08/26/music-industry-1973-2013

How do you get your music?
Has it changed in your lifetime?
How do you see the health of the music industry?
Are musicians doing better or worse?
Do you think itunes or streaming helps or hurts artists and/labels? How about piracy?
Did the internet open doors or shut them?
Whats next?

Lets talk the music biz.

Tina

Re: Music Biz - Streaming, Piracy, itunes

Postby Tina » July 15th, 2015, 10:15 am

Music industry has changed hasn't it, I was just yesterday reading about Janet Jackson having a hard time getting any airplay.
I haven't bought music in a very long time, I still have my cassettes, cds and records.
Every once in awhile, I will think of a great tune from my youth and I will go to youtube and watch.
I have no idea about modern music, I am stuck in the past and the oldies.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 15th, 2015, 11:59 am

I'm a pretty big music fan, but I only buy a handful of CDs a year. It's usually me going back and checking out a band or artist that I'm interested in. For instance, right now I'm in the mood to get something from Peter Gabriel and/or Van Morrison.

I still buy CDs. Like videogames I very much like to have something physical to own. I do however always copy the CD to iTunes so that I can put it on different devices. I keep lots of music on my iPhone and I will listen to that when I'm driving around. I also have blue tooth speakers which I can use to stream music directly from my phone for when I'm cooking/grilling or doing stuff around the house.

I will use Spotify to listen to music, but typically of something I already own. Heh...I have this weird thing with music. I like to buy a CD and just sit and listen an entire album with headphones. That is usually how I first experience an album. That first listen is very important and I just don't like doing it on spotify where I'll get commercials or interruptions. That first spin I try to savor and really listen to what the band/artist was trying to create. It's very relaxing and I love taking the time to do this. It's almost like a ritual.

The music industry is more about beautiful people and dishing out more of whatever is popular. Good music can still be found, but it's typically not popular or on radio. You have to go out of your way to find it. I'll listen to pop music...I'll listen to anything really. But I don't ever go out of my way to buy CDs of it. Except for Britney Spears...you all leave Brit alone!

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 15th, 2015, 12:15 pm

I rarely buy CDs anymore(though I do occasionally get music on Amazon or iTunes), nowadays I generally listen to music on Youtube.

Illegal downloads are the only way to acquire some music, like Pantera's first four albums before Cowboys From Hell, the band does not want to acknowledge the existence of those albums, so they will never get official CD releases, bootlegs are the only way you're ever going to hear them(Damn shame, considering those are pretty good albums, I actually like them better then anything else Pantera has done). Also some CDs/Vinyl are outrageously expensive to buy due to going out of print or being released in limited quantities, and those who don't feel like breaking the bank have pretty much no other choice other then "illegal" downloads.

I don't do Spotify or Pandora much either, mainly because they don't give you a choice in what songs you're listening to, it's all random.

I mostly like 80s rock music like Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Poison, Great White, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Bonfire, Danger Danger, etc I like some modern bands like Nickelback, Halestorm, In This Moment, Saliva, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D., but for the most part I don't think modern music is nearly as good as most stuff from the 80s.

I used to listen to entire albums in one sitting, but nowadays I just don't have the patience to do that anymore, I prefer listening to a few tracks at a time.

The RIAA only has themselves to blame for piracy, they didn't innovate nearly enough, and they paid the price for it.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 15th, 2015, 1:31 pm

I gotta disagree. Pantera was way better when they stopped being a generic hair band (I actually like glam metal, for the record) and became a true metal band. Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display Of Power, Far Beyond Driven, etc. were a lot better, in my opinion, than their early days.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 15th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Vexer6 wrote:I rarely buy CDs anymore(though I do occasionally get music on Amazon or iTunes), nowadays I generally listen to music on Youtube.

I don't do Spotify or Pandora much either, mainly because they don't give you a choice in what songs you're listening to, it's all random.

Good call on youtube. I watch alot of concert footage and music videos on my iPad when I'm bored.

As for Spotify, if you're on a computer or iPad you don't have to listen to a song at random. You can listen to anything you want. There is just commercials every now and then. I think if you use the smart phone app it's always random though. On my iPad I had to google how to turn off the random selection though, because it is set to that as a default. You can turn it off though.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 15th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Ah, I didn't know that. Youtube is still preferable though.

If I couldn't find something on Youtube and the CD was rare and/or expensive, then I would get it on the website MP3VA.com

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 15th, 2015, 4:48 pm

I don't think Pantera was a "generic" hair-band at all in their early days, they were actually much more inspired by Judas Priest and other heavy-metal bands(I mean heck, they recorded a song called "Heavy Metal Rules", so I would say calling them a hair-band in that period is rather inaccurate)

I think they became boring once Phil started screaming from Vulgar Display onwards(rather then actual singing like he did on Power Metal and Cowboys), his terrible monotonous vocals just made it difficult for me to get into anything after Cowboys.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 15th, 2015, 11:35 pm

I respect your opinion, but I personally prefer Pantera in their heavier, more brutal incarnation. They were a metal band that proudly waved the metal flag in an era when everyone said that metal was dead (which I find ridiculous) and artists associated with the genre such as Faith No More and Soundgarden publicly tried to distance themselves from it (although those are two amazing bands, no matter what genre they were or weren't). Pantera kept heavy metal pride alive during the '90s, and thankfully, millions loved them for it.

And yeah, it was unfair of me to call their earlier stuff generic hair metal, as they were more Priest influenced than Motley Crue. Still, I don't like it as much.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 16th, 2015, 1:05 am

I bought a ton of music (both new and used) from the time I was about 11 (when I got a subscription to Columbia House - 12 cassettes for a penny!) up until about 5-6 years ago. I also torrented a lot of music starting in about 2003 and continuing up until around 2012 or so; I probably have somewhere around 500 gigs of downloaded music, plus all the CDs I own in 320kb MP3 form. Anymore I just use Youtube to hear new music; I have a cousin and a few friends that like music and we just pass Youtube links between each other. I don't have a smart phone, so things like Spotify and Pandora aren't really options right now, although I might start using Pandora more when I'm messing around on the computer to get some new bands in front of my ears. As a kid I used at least 50 percent of any money I got on mostly new cassettes and (starting around 1995) CDs; last year I bought one new album, and I don't see myself buying more than 2 or 3 this year - this really bugs me, and once I get a better income I plan on supporting the artists I like more, whether through CDs or going to concerts (which I used to do all the time) and buying T-shirts. I got a used copy of The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD recently and I do plan on using the recommendations to try to get a better understanding of the genre.

@Vexer
The only pre-Cowboys from Hell album I've heard by Pantera was Power Metal and it was OK. I really do prefer the later material (although I think Reinventing the Steel is clearly a notch below the other albums); my favorite at the moment (not the best, which is probably Cowboys or Vulgar) is The Great Southern Trendkill, precisely because it's so abrasive and strange. I think it's a bit of a disservice to say that Phil's vocals became monotonous - maybe he did leave the Rob Halford-style singing behind after Cowboys, but up until Reinventing (where everyone sounded pretty tired) he was still using a pretty wide range of vocal styles. Admittedly I like plenty of bands where the vocals could be mistaken for dying farm animals or malfunctioning machinery, so maybe that's just me.

Return to “Other Media”