Favorite/Least Favorite Super Mario 64 Course?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retrology

Favorite/Least Favorite Super Mario 64 Course?

Postby Retrology » July 17th, 2015, 2:56 am

I've been playing Super Mario 64 a lot recently (still an amazing game, have 116 stars currently) and thought a lot about this question in particular. Out of all 15 courses, which one was your favorite and least favorite?

Favorite: Big Boo's Haunt: Loved everything about this level. The creepy skyline of dead trees, the fact that this was the only course to not share its theme with another course, and it was just pure fun. Each of the missions (even the Balcony star) were satisfying as hell. The 100-coin star is easily my favorite, especially since there's so many coins.
Runner Up: Shifting Sand Land

Least Favorite: Dire Dire Docks: The only reason people remember this level is because of the incredible music (which first appeared in Jolly Roger Bay btw). Originally, I went with Tick Tock Clock, but I've come to appreciate its emphasis on skilled platforming.

Dire Dire Docks on the other hand seemed hastily made. The smallest level in the game, the only star I really enjoyed getting was the red coin star. Other than that, hated the whirlpool, the "Collect the Caps..." star was kind of lame, and doing the 100-coin challenge here was very tedious (only 106 coins in this level). It wasn't badly designed, but it was boring compared to the rest of the game IMO.

Thoughts?

jon

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Super Mario 64 Course?

Postby jon » July 17th, 2015, 10:59 am

Favorite: Bob-omb Battlefield: Being the first level, it really represented the change to 3d that the series took and the new era of video games, although the PS1 came out earlier, it still felt new.

Runner Up: Shifting Sand Land: I love the part inside the pyramid, really cool graphics.

Least Favorite: I'd probably go with Dire Dire Docks, it got tedious really fast.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 19th, 2015, 9:19 am

I always enjoyed Lethal Lava Land. Never cared much for Hazy Maze Cave.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » July 19th, 2015, 10:54 am

Least favorite is Rainbow Ride. I loved it when I was a kid and I love the concept but it is a nightmare to play. You constantly have to fight the camera in a desperate attempt to stay on the moving carpets and one bad step is the end of you.

Favorite is so hard to pick since I love them all, even my least favorite. I think I'd have to go with Tall Tall Mountain. Love the aesthetic and it has a sliding level in it

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 19th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Agreed on Rainbow Ride, all of the stars were a complete pain in the ass to get, I know it's the last level and you expect it to be challenging, but that level just went way too far in my opinion, one star in particular felt like it depended more on luck then actual skill.

Favorite would be Jolly Roger Bay.

jon

Postby jon » July 19th, 2015, 7:28 pm

I agree about Rainbow Ride, the first time I played it it had a wow factor. But it quickly got very annoying. I agree that Jolly Roger Bay is awesome, it's got a great design. That and with Bob-omb Battlefield were the two ones that really ushered me into the new generation. I remember thinking, there's going to be an underwater level I hope it's great. And it was, the music is incredible. Back then, I had this desire to go underwater in video games, it seems so strange now but it felt like a huge leap technologically.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 23rd, 2015, 1:49 am

Rainbow Ride is an easy level I feel. You just have to be willing to play it at a speed below a full run. With a bit of patience, most of the challenge disappears. Never found one of the stars dependent on luck more so than skill.

Tiny-Huge Island has to be mine. Too many times over the years, I've been close to 100 coins only to fall to my doom. Usually ends up being the final star that I bother to earn when I replay this game once or twice a year.

The most difficult part of the game for me though, is successfully hitting Bowser three times at the final boss fight. Because the island is so small by the 3rd bomb, you're forced to throw him at full power just in order to reach the remaining bombs. And because you're throwing him at full power, all precision fly's out the door.

Since you're not aiming, it's mostly just a tedious game of luck at that point. So oftentimes, I don't even bother to see the end credits after earning 120 coins (Or 150 in the case of SM64DS).

ESauce

Postby ESauce » July 23rd, 2015, 7:37 pm

Atariboy wrote:The most difficult part of the game for me though, is successfully hitting Bowser three times at the final boss fight. Because the island is so small by the 3rd bomb, you're forced to throw him at full power just in order to reach the remaining bombs. And because you're throwing him at full power, all precision fly's out the door.

I just have to brag. I once immediately grabbed and threw bowser 3 times in a row and hit the bombs each time. I beat him in like 30 seconds.

Return to “Classic Gaming”