Modern Gaming Headaches

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Modern Gaming Headaches

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 17th, 2015, 7:32 pm

This generation kind of sucks!

Got two new games: Rory McIlroy Golf (Xbox One) and Batman Arkham Knight (PS4).
I've been "babysitting" both systems for the last half hour trying to get the games installed simultaneously.

With Rory McIlroy Golf the Xbox One forced me to go online to download system updates.
Why can't it just read these off the game disc like every other system does?
Once that was finally done it asked me if I wanted to install the update for the game.
It said I would need it to play online, but could install it later, so I said later.
Now the game itself is installing. Who knows how long that will take.

With the PS4 the system update was loaded off the disc (good) but guess what?
My hard disk, which only has about a dozen games on it, is full.
So I had to sift through the files and delete NBA 2K15 (51 GB!) to give myself enough good.
Hopefully I won't have the urge to play basketball until 2K16.
Fortunately the Batman install process was short - just a minute or two.

I have high hopes for these games but I hate how console gaming has adopted the worst characteristics of PC gaming.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Modern Gaming Headaches

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 17th, 2015, 8:30 pm

I was wrong about the Batman install times.
I selected new story and it has 10 minutes worth of installing left.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 17th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Well as games get larger and larger, they're going to make more time to install, that's just how technology goes. I'll admit i'm not a fan of having to wait for games to install, but it's not a dealbreaker for me, while i'm waiting I usually kill time by playing other games on my handheld systems(or play on my PC)

I don't blame Sony or Microsoft for long install times, I blame the USA's lousy internet speed compared to other countries like the U.K., apparently over there it takes only a few minutes for these things to install.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 17th, 2015, 10:46 pm

This generation totally sucks!

I'll get a PS4 at some point just to play Fallout 4, but other than That I'll keep my distance from gaming this gen. Hopefully they don't do anything stupid like requiring Internet or patches for Fallout 4, but considering how retarded this whole generation of gaming is Im not getting my hopes up.

I've read 4 or 5 reviews in Rory Mcilroy. This is a game I've been excited about. I've formed an educated opinion just from the reviews, but I'll hold my opinion until the Critic reviews it himself. I don't want to influence his opinion of it in anyway. Speaking of that I do believe the Critic has stated before that he doesn't read other reviews until he actually plays the game himself, but am unsure if that. I hope that's what he does.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 17th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Yeah not a fan of the whole install thing but I can see why they happen... The games are huge nowadays...

Tron

Postby Tron » July 17th, 2015, 11:29 pm

Rev wrote:Yeah not a fan of the whole install thing but I can see why they happen... The games are huge nowadays...

Lame excuse. Make the systems huger then....er bigger.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 18th, 2015, 12:09 am

I don't believe this generation "sucks" or is "retarded"(BTW you really shouldn't be using that term incorrectly like that) at all, we've gotten some pretty damn good games so far with more to come.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 18th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Responses like "games are big" and "that's just how the technology is" is how we got into this mess in the first place. The reason we have to deal with stuff like long installs and intrusive online features is because we're always making excuses for these companies.

That's the wrong attitude.

The companies have no problem wasting our time and hard disc space. It benefits them a lot!
They could improve the process, but why should they go through the trouble?
Unless we're vocal about things that annoy us, things will only get worse.
If nobody complaints about an 1/2 hr install time, the next game will have an hour install time.

These issues may not be the end of the world, but if something annoys you, don't be afraid to speak up.
The Internet is really the only want to convey our likes and dislikes to these companies.
Ever try to find their direct contact information? Good luck with that.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 18th, 2015, 1:16 pm

No, that's just the way of the world, you can't have massive games just load instantly, technology does not work that way, it's really that simply, so no that is not the "wrong attitude" at all, it's just how things are, if you don't like it, then oh well.

The companies are not "wasting disc space", games are just that big, we wouldn't have to go through the trouble if the USA's internet wasn't so lousy.

Game installs aren't going to go away just cause a minority of people are vocal, because the days of games loading instantly are no more. Game installs aren't going to get longer just cause people don't complain, developers aren't just deliberately trying to piss people off, that's just how game development is, most people overseas don't care about this stuff, cause their internet is way faster, so the stuff downloads for them a lot quicker.

This doesn't really bother me that much, it's far from a deal breaker, I really don't care.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 18th, 2015, 4:59 pm

It gets better. Had to select an profile to play Rory McIlroy Golf and it prompts me to enter my email password! WTF?
I immediately took the console offline to avoid that garbage.

Return to “Video Games General”