Favorite sitcoms

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Vexer6

Favorite sitcoms

Postby Vexer6 » July 22nd, 2015, 1:20 am

So what are some of your favorite sitcoms?

Some of mine are Malcolm in the Middle, Everybody Hates Chris, The War At Home, The Bernie Mac Show, King of Queens, Grounded For Life, Still Standing, Jamie Foxx Show, Steve Harvey Show, Moesha, The Parkers, One on One, Half and Half, Will and Grace, Drew Carey Show, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, All of Us, Girlfriends and The Game.

LoganRuckman

Re: Favorite sitcoms

Postby LoganRuckman » July 22nd, 2015, 8:21 am

I love sitcoms. My favorite of all time, live action, is Married... With Children. Animated, South Park.

WARNING: CHEAP PLUG INCOMING: About two and a half years ago, I wrote a list of my 10 favorite sitcoms (or rather, my top 5 for both animated and live action): https://happykatana.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -all-time/

Unfortunately, while I am still very proud of this article as it was one of the first I wrote when I started taking my website seriously, it hasn't aged all that well. I have improved as a writer since then, and I would kind of like to revisit it, but instead of the format of that one, I'll make two separate top 10 articles for live action and animated.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 22nd, 2015, 5:44 pm

For animated sitcoms, my favorites are Brickleberry, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama Cleveland Show, Simpsons and BoJack Horseman.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 22nd, 2015, 10:42 pm

Arrested Development hands down. I've seen a lot of TV and that's the one show that keeps me laughing almost constantly.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 23rd, 2015, 2:20 am

Never seen any of those. Here are some of my favorites from through the years for what's easily my favorite tv genre.

My Three Sons
Petticoat Junction
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Make Room for Daddy
Leave it to Beaver
McHale's Navy
Mister Ed
F Troop
Newhart
I Love Lucy
WKRP in Cincinnati
Dennis the Menace
Get Smart
The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
The Doris Day Show
The Phil Silvers Show
Car 54: Where Are You
Good Neighbors
Laverne & Shirley
The Andy Griffith Show
The Flintstones
The Facts of Life
Cheers
Wings
The Patty Duke Show
The Donna Reed Show
The Honeymooners
Coach

Not sure if M*A*S*H counts (I like the term "dramedy" to describe this one), but if it does, add it to this list since it's another favorite that stands above the many I didn't list that I merely like but wouldn't consider a favorite.
Last edited by Atariboy on November 20th, 2015, 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 23rd, 2015, 6:17 am

Atariboy wrote:Newhart I Love Lucy The Andy Griffith Show The Flintstones M*A*S*H

Great list. I Love Lucy is foundational (although inspired by the radio sitcoms) and shows an urban America of the pre white flight fifties, and nicely amplified with guest stars.. Newhart has a tremendous supporting cast and a soft touch wih its humor. The Andy Griffith Show is a great simple rural wish fulfillment, although it should have wrapped up when Don Knotts left the main cast. The Flintstones, a stoneage Honeymooners, is a childish delight. MASH, at least the first few seasons, stands tall for its character, emotions and quotes. Rule number 2 is that doctors can't change rule number 1.

I will add in Mary Tyler Moore, Sanford and Son and Barney Miller as classic sit coms of the day. All in the Family and Maude and others like it did not age well. Jeffersons and Good Times may be in that category too. The Lucy Show, a sorta reboot of I Love Lucy with a small tight cast, was also enjoyable being in color and with the Mr Mooney character.

There are similar but mostly abandoned genres for the most part, sketch comedy and variety shows, might interest sit com lovers. Try The Muppet Show and Carol Burnett Show.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » July 23rd, 2015, 10:47 pm

Although I was not the target audience, I will say that 2 Nickelodeon sitcoms won me over in a huge way. Those would be Kenan and Kel, and Drake and Josh. They were quite funny shows that kept me coming back, and the only 2 nickelodeon shows I really watched.

Greisha

Postby Greisha » July 24th, 2015, 10:28 pm

ptdebate wrote:Arrested Development hands down. I've seen a lot of TV and that's the one show that keeps me laughing almost constantly.

Word. We bought the series on DVD, and STILL watch the series once or twice a year. "Bringing up Buster" was one of my faves.

However, not too keen on the Netflix season. Would have preferred a "narrower" narrative, I guess.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 25th, 2015, 12:31 am

Greisha wrote:
ptdebate wrote:Arrested Development hands down. I've seen a lot of TV and that's the one show that keeps me laughing almost constantly.

Word. We bought the series on DVD, and STILL watch the series once or twice a year. "Bringing up Buster" was one of my faves.

However, not too keen on the Netflix season. Would have preferred a "narrower" narrative, I guess.

Season 4 definitely wasn't the series' best but I still couldn't get enough of G.O.B and Buster. The "roofie cycle" plot was hilarious!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 25th, 2015, 12:32 am

SigSauerLover wrote:Although I was not the target audience, I will say that 2 Nickelodeon sitcoms won me over in a huge way. Those would be Kenan and Kel, and Drake and Josh. They were quite funny shows that kept me coming back, and the only 2 nickelodeon shows I really watched.

Loved Keenan and Kel back in the day. Also Good Burger. Even the Good Burger movie is such a great representation of 90s Nickelodeon humor.

Return to “Other Media”