The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
velcrozombie

Re: The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Postby velcrozombie » July 11th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Yesterday they released the trailer for the Evil Dead TV series that's going to be airing on Starz. I was skeptical when I first heard about it (despite the involvement of Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi), but it looks like a lot of fun. If nothing else, I think they've nailed the right tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=185&v=unnLg1TPCYM

Rev

Postby Rev » July 11th, 2015, 11:47 pm

It definitely seems like the tone is right. Hopefully it turns out pretty good (it looks like it from the preview). My fingers are crossed.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 14th, 2015, 11:56 am

That Evil Dead series is going to be awesome. The trailer looks like it's a mixture of mostly Evil Dead/Evil Dead II with a sprinkling of Army of Darkness. I can't wait. I'll be ordering Starz just to watch it!

I personally hated the Evil Dead remake and thought for sure that the series was doomed after that. The fact that the stars have aligned for a TV show on a premium cable network is more than a fan could hope for. Even if it only goes for a single 10 episode season I'll be more than pleased. Hopefully, it makes old fans happy as well as suck in a ton of new fans.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 14th, 2015, 1:26 pm

I thought the Evil Dead remake was pretty damn good myself, it's certainly stayed true to the spirit of the original by sticking with practical effects and not using CGI, which I appreciated.

I'm not really big on horror TV series though, so i'll probably pass on that.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 14th, 2015, 2:33 pm

I thought the Evil Dead remake was alright, but nothing more. I think the most enjoyable part of the film for me was watching the girl get set on fire in the first 3 minutes of the movie.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 1st, 2015, 12:11 am

I watched The Fly (1958) today on TCM and I thought it was absolutely awesome. I can't believe I hadn't seen it before. I guess I've been living under a rock because I honestly never knew The Fly (1986) was a remake/re-imagining. I have to say I like this film a lot more than I like the remake. The whole thing felt a little like Leave it to Beaver but the ending was definitely a bit nerving. I'm not a huge horror movie fan from pre-1960s but this was a really good one. Highly recommended.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 1st, 2015, 7:33 am

Glad you enjoyed the original Fly. Obviously the budget was B movie, filmed in black and white, but its a wonderfully tight script. The use of Vincent Price in a gentle role, the calm serene setting, the little boys innocence...then mixed with flashbacks and making it very personal. While people view the remake as some allegory to illness, here we get a more striaghtforward danger of playing with forces you dont understand and the very personal costs. They say 1 death is a tragedy, a million a statistic. Like an NPR story, the Fly is a very emotional horror story in ways Godzilla films usually are not. Its not hundreds of extras getting killed, its all about one family.

That very personal horror is rather unusual for 50s horror. Its a bit like the Final Girl trope of slasher films, except these are not horny teenagers but mature reasonable people. This is also not about crazy mad scientists trying to play God, like Victor Frankenstein.

A 50s film with the same stakes is Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Kevin McCarthy. The 70s remake is just as good (it stars Donald Sutherland)

The endings of both The Fly and Invasion of the Body Snatchers are spoilers and really stay with you, so nuf said there.

There were two sequels of the Fly I believe. One stars Vincent Price, the other is more like Son of the Fly where the boy, all grown up, picks up the gauntlet of the research. The 80s movie also has a remake that is essentially that Son of The Fly plot (with Daphne Zuniga if I recall).

Rev

Postby Rev » August 1st, 2015, 9:44 am

scotland wrote:The endings of both The Fly and Invasion of the Body Snatchers are spoilers and really stay with you, so nuf said there.

I agree 100%. The movie has stuck with me since I watched it last night. Several times since the movie ended the thought of the ending has regurgitated and left me uneasy. I think that's a sign of an excellent horror film as it isn't something that leaves you once the credits roll. There aren't a huge list of movies that make me feel that uneasy but I tend to enjoy them the most.

I heard there were two sequels to The Fly (1958)- Return of the Fly (1959) and Curse of the Fly (1965), with Return of the Fly being a direct sequel. I read that they changed how the movie was done (black/white, horror genre) but I might be interested in watching at least the second one. I also want to revist the remake (it's been a while) since it has been done in a completely different fashion.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 22nd, 2015, 8:03 pm

God... I just watched Sinister 2.... It was absolutely terrible. I heard it was bad but I was hoping like funny bad... How they screwed it up is beyond me. It felt like a bad drama and barely had any scares. There was one cool scene with the rats and that's about it.

Not recommended... Don't waste your money.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 23rd, 2015, 11:59 am

Rev wrote:God... I just watched Sinister 2.... It was absolutely terrible. I heard it was bad but I was hoping like funny bad... How they screwed it up is beyond me. It felt like a bad drama and barely had any scares. There was one cool scene with the rats and that's about it.

Not recommended... Don't waste your money.

That's too bad! My roommate and I saw Sinister recently and really liked it. I'll let her know not to have high hopes for the sequel!

Return to “Other Media”