Favorite enemy?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
TheLastNightmare1

Favorite enemy?

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » December 10th, 2014, 1:19 pm

It can be for any reason. Hated arch nemesis, simple old graphics nostalgia, or the weird kind of friend you can get from hanging out in worlds where death is just a temporary setback. 

Ozzybear1

Favorite enemy?

Postby Ozzybear1 » December 10th, 2014, 7:05 pm

there are many but the one that stands out for me is Slavus ( sorry if i spelled that wrong )
from baldurs gate dark alliance, i remember when he turned on my friend and i the first time,
after that every time that happened in another gamewe reffered to them ( still do to this day )
as a slavus lmao.

Herschie1

Favorite enemy?

Postby Herschie1 » December 11th, 2014, 8:19 am

I thought the miniblins from Zelda Wind Waker were hilarious. Also, the clickers in The Last of Us were well-designed. You really felt a sense of accomplishment sneaking around them to get to where you had to go. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Favorite enemy?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 11th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Hmmm tough question.  Here are some off the top of my head.

Don Medusa from Lolo - I think this is first videogame enemy to actually frighten me.  As the mostly defenseless Lolo these things were a nightmare.  They looked creepy as the moved back and forth.  The sound the made if you came into their line of sight still makes me jump if I'm not expecting it lol.  

Metroid - This is another enemy that really would strike fear into me whenever I would encounter one.  Just seeing those fanged jellyfish like creatures was enough to make you freak out.  Great creature design...very iconic.  The fact that they rapidly sucked you of life made them even more horrific to deal with.  

Hunters from Resident Evil - In the first game all you had encountered in the mansion was zombies.  After you go outside and eventually return to the mansion...you're alerted to this new threat.  These giant mutant frog-ish creatures could be heard with their signature clicking walk before you saw them.  Once they spotted you they would leap and slash causing you to spaz out.  The tank controls coupled with their fast mobility really made it hard to deal with them.  Plus if you got low on life they could end it quickly with a head decapitation.  

Boss Bass from Super Mario 3 - Up until this point in the series you had dealt with mostly small enemies.  Boss Bass would first appear in a few of the Level 3 Water World stages if I'm remembering correctly.  This beast of a fish is relentless. That giant bucktooth lets you know he means business! You feel like Chief Brody and Hooper trying to not get eating by Jaws!  This enemy adds such great tension to the level.  Go play 2 player SMB 3 right now.  When you get to that level both of you will be screaming, hooting and hollering.  You will also be laughing at the other players misfortune.  Great times!

Sut1

Favorite enemy?

Postby Sut1 » December 11th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Evil Otto (Berzerk) - Despite the nice smiley face look, as soon as that electronic voice booms out and the game screen freezes for a second my heart rate and pulse increase as I run from the indestructible stalker.

Dobkeratops (R-Type) - One of my favourite enemies ever, Ok he's a walk over once you have him sussed but this guy is iconic.

Luigi & Peach

Re: Favorite enemy?

Postby Luigi & Peach » September 5th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Besides many of the obvious, I have two memorable ones for myself that come to mind.

The first "boss" in Wolfenstein 3d. First of all, you don't expect to see him when you open a random door and find yourself staring at a giant-mini- gun-for-arms Nazi. Then he shouts "I'm coming for you!" ( it might have also been something in German, but I swear that's what I heard). The only sane reaction is to run and hide in a corner and ponder what poor life choices have brought you to this point.

The second villain was the Butcher from Diablo 1. In all honesty I remember less about the actual villain ( aside from the glitch that allowed you to easily beat him) than the crazy gypsy/eastern European/ Chloris Leachman sound-a- like saying "The Butcher is a saaadistic creature." That line still pops into my head from time to time.

Honorable mention goes to the grim reaper from Castlevania 3 which took my friend and I COUNTLESS attempts to beat, and of course just about every enemy from the first Toejam & Earl ( suburbanite lawnmower man, crazy dentist, chickens with mortars, and boogey men? Genius!)

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 5th, 2015, 5:27 pm

I think every one of the villains I hate the most are all from the first Ninja Gaiden.

Level one has those bouncing guys that punch you. If you get hit, he just bounces back and forth hitting you until you die. Level two has those running guys that commit suicide (or thats what it looks like). They make platform jumping almost impossible in that level. Then, ever single bird, cat, dog, sheep looking thing in that game was enough to cause my controllers to fly across the room more that a few times.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 6th, 2015, 11:38 am

Pyramid Head. He was frightening, he was ruthless, and you couldn't kill him. I can't think of any video game enemy I've feared more. Knowing he was out there waiting, seeing him emerge to mutilate and rape other monsters, Silent Hill 2 as a whole was one of the most disturbing games I've ever played through. Definitely one of the scariest video game villains ever conceived, if not the scariest. He made the game.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 6th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Scissorman in the Clock Tower series is an interesting enemy. You never actually fight him and he randomly pops out of no where to scare the bejesus out of you. All you can do is run from him and his giant scissors.

Return to “Classic Gaming”