10/3/2006: PSP: Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, Pursuit Force, Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

10/3/2006: PSP: Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee, Pursuit Force, Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 3rd, 2006, 7:23 pm

Is the critic right, or does he need his head examined??  You be the judge!

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 3rd, 2006, 8:09 pm

Wow! Three games that you reviewed and I have actually played. Nice reviews but the scoring is all off. Hot Shots is an A for sure so I'll leave that alone. I think your Pursuit Force review is pretty close, I would give it a B/B+ b/c I thought it was a great game. I would disagree that it isn't addictive; I at least couldn't put it down and the fight/chase scenes were incredible. I would also disagree with your other review. I played G&G through several times and NEVER found the control to be a problem. I simply loved the game and was highly addicted to it. In fact, the more I played through it the more I thought that this is easily game of the year material; it's that good. I would say it is an easy A if not an A+, an amazing action/adventure game. Like I said, nice reviews but I happen to disagree with you. Keep up the hard work, I really do enjoy your site. Thanks.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 3rd, 2006, 10:43 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Is the critic right, or does he need his head examined??  You be the judge![/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree that there is a significant problem with the controls in UGnG.  Using the D-Pad often would result in Arthur not wanting to climb.  To get rid of that problem I would end up using the analog nub, but that is not the best controller to do other types of standard moves.  There just is no one comfortable way to get through the game.  Then there were problems that weren't really related to controls.  As wide as the PSP screen is, I found myself being forced into doing blind jumps.  I hate that.

I don't think the game is a failure, but I think they should have probably fixed the controls before releasing the game.

a1

Postby a1 » October 4th, 2006, 12:17 am

Aside from the outdated jumping in UG&G are there other control problems? My co-worker over the summer had NES roms on his PSP, and I found that even games I had mastered were hard for me with the PSP's buttons and d-pad. Are they a problem for this game?

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » October 4th, 2006, 12:24 am

ive noticed similar control problems with most 3D makeovers of 2D games. though not as pronounced, i didnt like the loose controls on new super mario bros on DS.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 4th, 2006, 5:45 am

You guys are on drugs and very nit-picky like little old ladies. There are like two blind jumps in the whole game and once you know the levels it isn't even an issue. Climbing? I never had a serious problem with it. I think the problem is that this is an "old school" game and people aren't used to it and can't handle the "old school". I respect your guys opinion but I think you are both in the minority. Most people love this game and have no problems with the controls. I am not saying they are perfect but they are not worth complaining about.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 4th, 2006, 12:28 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

You guys are on drugs and very nit-picky like little old ladies. There are like two blind jumps in the whole game and once you know the levels it isn't even an issue. Climbing? I never had a serious problem with it. I think the problem is that this is an "old school" game and people aren't used to it and can't handle the "old school". I respect your guys opinion but I think you are both in the minority. Most people love this game and have no problems with the controls. I am not saying they are perfect but they are not worth complaining about.

[/QUOTE]

I am an "old school" gamer.  I have seen my fair share of horrid controls.  But as the critic himself pointed out, you couldn't blame your frustrations on the controls in most of the previous games in the series.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 4th, 2006, 1:55 pm

You guys are right, the NES or Genesis NEVER had poor controls! C'mon!

a1

Postby a1 » October 4th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Shawn, I love Castlevania, and the original Ghouls and Ghosts, but I think it is stupid to use the jumping styles in those games today. I admit I haven't played UG&G, but I have tried NES games on PSP and they are very hard to control. I don't think the PSP's d-pad is very well-suited to 2d, and that may be part of the problem people have with the controls.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 4th, 2006, 3:30 pm

It's pointless to discuss since nobody on this site owns a PSP other then a few people. The control is fine, the d-pad is fine, hell it is the same one on the PS2 and nobody complains about that. People hate the PSP and Sony so they'll say or believe anything to bring the system down. I haven't played any NES games on the PSP so I don't know but there has only been one game (Darkstalkers) that I have played on the PSP where the control has been an issue. To be honest, I really enjoy this site but I don't put too much reliance on the scoring system as this is just further proof that the critic is all over the place with his grading. I am still amazed at a B+ for Point Blank. I basically enjoy the retro reviews for the nostalgia factor but that is about it. I think ign is closer to the mark for my tastes. No disrespect intended.

Return to “Review Feedback”