Fall Gaming?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Fall Gaming?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 19th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Good feedback so far, but are there any Fall games from the 16-bit era or before that I should investigate? Most of these games are fairly new.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 20th, 2015, 11:49 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Good feedback so far, but are there any Fall games from the 16-bit era or before that I should investigate? Most of these games are fairly new.

I highly recommend playing Twinkle Tale for the Genesis. It's game play is in the same vein as MERCS except you are a Witch that has to battle a Horde of Demons. This is one of my favorite games on the console. It was released only in Japan but thankfully it has been fan translated for English speaking gamers. It has fantastic music, gameplay and charming graphics.

Here is a link to some game play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f397Df5BD-E

Here is a link to buy it off etsy for just $20.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/205714363/ ... _gallery_3

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 20th, 2015, 7:18 pm

You could fast track your Colecovision review of Bump 'n Jump. Been in your review queue for an awful long time now.

Of course, it's obviously a game for all seasons. But since 1/4th of the time you're racing in a Fall setting, now is as good a time as any.

Especially since for the life of me, I can't think of many classic games that fit this theme well once you've eliminated Halloween and classics like Haunted House from the equation.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 20th, 2015, 10:03 pm

jon wrote:It's interesting that NCAA Gamebreaker is being mentioned because I thought the first one on the PS1 was good. It was one of the first college football games (if not the first) to have top 25 rankings.

I think I'm going to have to disagree on this, as I believe College Football USA 97 (and possibly College Football USA 96) have top 25 rankings.

As a suggestion, neither have been reviewed for the Genesis, and that's a shame. Both are quite fun.

jon

Postby jon » September 21st, 2015, 10:03 pm

I'd never even heard of College Football USA '96 and '97, apparently it was EA's bridge between the Bill Walsh games and NCAA series. I loved the first Bill Walsh. They'd definitely be a lot more interesting to see reviewed than the NCAA football games for the PS1, although it does seem a little archaic as they came out late in the Genesis's lifespan, especially '97. At the end of the day, I don't know if there are any more diamond in the rough football games the VGC hasn't reviewed. It would have been nice if those College Football USA games could have been on a more advanced console though. If the 3do didn't get cancelled I bet it would've been on that console, and probably could have been beefed up a little to have a next gen look. The Saturn was really nowhere to be found when it came to porting interesting sports games. I guess its complex architecture put off a lot of developers, what a joke.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » September 21st, 2015, 11:34 pm

There's more to the Saturn than its hardware complications, Sega tried to front-run the Saturn with three previous systems, the Genesis and its three Add-On's (one of which killed SEGA's future), as well as figuring out how to fix the mess with the Saturn itself.

It's not because of some conspiracy with 2D/3D games development. If Sega treated their 32 bit monster as a proper games console rather than an untamed beast... You know the rest.

That said. I hardly have incentive to play newer Sports Games these days. For fall I go back to games that released during the Fall or Winter.

jon

Postby jon » September 22nd, 2015, 3:07 pm

The Genesis had 3 add-ons? I was aware of just the 32x and Sega CD. I'm just saying that it's ridiculous that College Football USA '96 and '97 were only on the Genesis, especially '97, and not the Saturn. It just seemed like it was so hard to make games for the system, sort of like the N64. Whereas the PS1 had every type of game and got them out fast. The problem is that none of the PS1's sports games stand the test of time and they're all irrelevant and would just be depressing to play nowadays. Save for a nice game of home run derby on Triple Play '98, it's got nothing to offer. Maybe ESPN Extreme Games, if you classify that as a sports game. After the heyday of the Genesis, it took until after the PS1 until there were quality sports games again, when the Dreamcast and rest of the 6th generation came out. But despite the fact they came out very late in the Genesis's lifespan, and should have found a home on the 3do and the Saturn, where they would have been presumably beefed up, I'm sure games like Bill Walsh '95 and the College Football USA games are probably worth getting.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 22nd, 2015, 4:10 pm

I'll absolutely vouch for the College Football USA games for the Genesis. They are essentially the Madden engine but with every Division I football program. They have all the conferences, top 25 rankings, fully customizable schedules, and the "create-a-player" function. They also offer the choice of bowl games or a playoff at the end of the regular season. The playoff option is critical when you choose your non-powerhouse alma mater and go undefeated, but because they are a non-powerhouse they still aren't ranked #1. You can still win the national title through the playoffs.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 23rd, 2015, 6:36 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Good feedback so far, but are there any Fall games from the 16-bit era or before that I should investigate? Most of these games are fairly new.

For this Fall I bought a Wii mini with Project Zero 2, Silent Hill Shattered Memories and The Conduit... Still have to play all those games though.

Some random Fall suggestions for the VGC:

THE GOOD
- Shovel Knight (will be available as physical release!)
- Donald in Maui Mallard (SNES/Genesis)
- Pac-In-Time (SNES)
- Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)

THE BAD
- Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (SNES/Genesis)
- Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel (SNES/Genesis)
- Flicky (Genesis, fun for short play times)
- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (if you're in the mood for another horrible platformer)
- Zero Tolerance (Genesis)

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 23rd, 2015, 12:17 pm

Speaking of sports games on the Saturn, seek out a copy of SEGA Worldwide Soccer '97. Fun gameplay, great options, good commentary. It doesn't feature MLS teams but is more geared towards international competition and the World Cup. It costs between $10-$20 for a complete copy online, and seeing how its soccer season (MLS anyway) I think it fits the bill for fall gaming. It's one of the best sports games for the Saturn in my opinion, up there with WSB '98 as one of my two favorites for the system, and the 5th generation in general.

Return to “Video Games General”