2015/9/17: Xbox One: Rare Replay

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
BlasteroidAli

Re: 2015/9/17: Xbox One: Rare Replay

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 14th, 2015, 4:30 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:ptdebate,

I was struck by this comment "you're simply not going to have a great time if you try to leave your consoles disconnected".

At first I thought you were saying that the online element was somehow making these games fun.
Then I read it again and interpreted it as "if you don't want to be miserable, you need to put your consoles online".
If that's the case, it further illustrates how the game companies are forcing us to go in this direction for their own purposes and not for our benefit.

I'm not giving an inch to these companies. I'll put my console online if and when I feel like it. (If a game expressly requires online, that's different). If the experience is poor, either online or off, I'm calling them out on it. I'm not making any assumptions or giving them a free pass about anything.

Heck, you could make the argument that today's games are shipped buggy because "that's just the way it is". But I refuse to use modern technology as an excuse.

Earlier this month I would have been at odds with that statement. Now I think it is right on the money. I hear the 360 and ps3 versions of COD will be internet only. Also Star wars is as well. Lets not forget Elite, Rainbow 6 siege and some ubisoft car game. For me this is only putting a third of the game in.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 14th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Shapur - thanks for the show of support!

I am absolutely incredulous that of all the issues people have with day-to-day console gaming, you never hear anything about any of them in the mainstream press. They completely overlook modern-day headaches like:

- hours waiting for a game to install
- huge amounts of disc space consumed by most games
- unnecessary and time-consuming updates
- mandatory EULAs that no one reads or understands
- shameless DLC and microtransactions
- trouble trying to connect with friends
- bugs, lock ups, connection drops
- attempts to collect your personal information and social media information

This is just a sample of the issues I see all the time that none of the other sites even mention.
To me it's all a part of the game experience.
Maybe it just shows that the media is in the game industry's back pocket.

Fortunately for you guys, I'm not getting any checks in the mail, so I guess I'll have to continue just calling it like it is.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 3rd, 2015, 4:49 am

I know here that the theory of buying an online game is that you are only renting it. That way you never own it. So it is discs for me as much as possible. Okay I get the free stuff with xbox live gold each month. That is normally stuff I already own. I have been downloading and deleting it as I go. For the most part it is really terrible stuff on the bone. Though the 360 generally gets good stuff.

Just now I have completely stopped playing the rare replay but I am sure I will start again soon.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 3rd, 2015, 1:44 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:For the most part it is really terrible stuff on the bone.

That's not true at all. I've gotten ACIV, Rayman legends, MGSV: Ground Zeroes, Child of Light, Guacamelee, Tomb Raider, iDarb...All kinds of good XB1 games through this service.

That's a point that bears mentioning as well. Beleaguered as they have been by PS4's runaway popularity, Microsoft has introduced a lot of pro-consumer features to fight back. Starting this month, you can download and play both XB1 and X360 Games with Gold titles and play them through backwards compatibility. These games do not expire with your Gold membership, but remain in your games library permanently. That kind of thing is awesome and needs to continue.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 4th, 2015, 10:10 pm

They may not expire, but unless a recent policy change has occurred, your XB1 downloads won't work without being a gold subscriber (Just like how Playstation Plus is setup).

Only on the Xbox 360 do they actually operate as if you had spent money to purchase them, granting you offline access and the ability to still play them if you let your Xbox Live subscription lapse. Hopefully that won't be changing just because future additions will be backwards compatible on the Xbox One.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » November 21st, 2015, 11:55 pm

taffer wrote:Game installation times seem subjective though, Europe has way higher internet speeds, so games their download a lot quicker.

I've seen a couple people say this but I'm confused by it. Aren't the games installing from the disc to the hard drive? In that case internet connections shouldn't make any difference whatsoever. That would only be true if you're downloading a digital game. Am I missing something?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 24th, 2015, 12:08 pm

Shapur wrote:
taffer wrote:Game installation times seem subjective though, Europe has way higher internet speeds, so games their download a lot quicker.

I've seen a couple people say this but I'm confused by it. Aren't the games installing from the disc to the hard drive? In that case internet connections shouldn't make any difference whatsoever. That would only be true if you're downloading a digital game. Am I missing something?

It is the 15 gig patches that most games need that slow things down. Also ESO downloads from the internet so you have to go offline to get it to load from the disc.

Return to “Review Feedback”