What game system's lack of sucess shocked you?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Re: What game system's lack of sucess shocked you?

Postby jon » December 3rd, 2015, 10:58 pm

You're talking about some of the least regarded games for the system. How about other games like Iron Soldier or I-War. Those look great. And by the way, I'll take the 3d graphics in Club Drive over any PS1 game. The PS1's graphics look like crap. And the N64's graphics were blurry which marred a lot of games. Now maybe the N64's problems weren't that bad, because I love a lot of games and the blurriness wasn't a total dealbreaker like the PS1's cardboard excuse for graphics, check out Die Hard Trilogy, I'll take even the weakest polygon based Jaguar games over tripe like that. It wasn't exactly a clean looking generation, but I found the Jag's graphics looked the prettiest.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 3rd, 2015, 11:39 pm

jon wrote:You're talking about some of the least regarded games for the system. How about other games like Iron Soldier or I-War. Those look great. And by the way, I'll take the 3d graphics in Club Drive over any PS1 game. The PS1's graphics look like crap. And the N64's graphics were blurry which marred a lot of games. Now maybe the N64's problems weren't that bad, because I love a lot of games and the blurriness wasn't a total dealbreaker like the PS1's cardboard excuse for graphics, check out Die Hard Trilogy, I'll take even the weakest polygon based Jaguar games over tripe like that. It wasn't exactly a clean looking generation, but I found the Jag's graphics looked the prettiest.

Oooooooooooookay. Yes, "Club Drive" has better 3D than any Playstation game. Looks way better than "Spyro The Dragon" , "Crash Bandicoot" series, "Einhander", "Tony Hawk Pro Skater" and "Ridge Racer Type 4". You're trying way too hard to seem different.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 4th, 2015, 8:36 am

At least with the Jaguar, you know how many polygons you're getting per second, because you can count them yourself, one frame at a time. There's no need to rely on Sony marketing.

Besides, when a PSOne game has bad camera control, it's like sandpaper for the eyes, and bricks to the face. With the Atari Jaguar, you can actually enjoy bad camera control - your screen is flooded with a solid earth tone, encouraging purity of thought, and a zen focus.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » December 4th, 2015, 12:45 pm

mbd36 wrote:You're trying way too hard to seem different.

Even Atari's project leads said the Jaguar had a seriously crippled architecture, chip sets with incompatible volume.

Of course Jon is too ironic for cold hard facts.

jon

Postby jon » December 4th, 2015, 2:42 pm

You're making it seem like the Jaguar couldn't do 3d. It still had 3d games, and some of them were good. If it had gotten a lot of 2nd and 3rd generation games they could have kept getting better and better. And I think in the coming years, people will look at the Jag as being more interesting than the PS1. I think it's already started to happen. No one plays PS1 games anymore besides "RPG lovers". I honestly don't think any 3d PS1 games look good.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » December 4th, 2015, 8:08 pm

RPG Lovers

I'll remember that. Nobody plays the Jaguar anymore, except for those who actually enjoyed White Men Can't Jump.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » December 5th, 2015, 1:23 am

I remember my buddy Rob playing Metal Gear Solid on his Dreamcast though. I could have sworn it came out on Dreamcast.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 5th, 2015, 9:54 am

SigSauerLover wrote:I remember my buddy Rob playing Metal Gear Solid on his Dreamcast though. I could have sworn it came out on Dreamcast.

He must have been using Bleemcast.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » December 5th, 2015, 4:13 pm

After searching it up, you're entirely right. He was using an emulator on his Dreamcast.

I remember Bleem! on the PC in the late 90's. I thought it was really cool at the time, even though it ran like garbage.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 5th, 2015, 5:02 pm

The Neo Geo.

Sure the price killed it, but why didn't they ever do a price drop? Isn't it better to sell for less than for nothing? Maybe they only made a few thousand machines without much left over, but maybe they had a warehouse full of them they couldn't sell because the price was too high.

How come companies like Capcom & Konami had no games developed for it?

When the Neo Geo came out it was breathtaking. It was beyond anything any other system could do, yet it quickly faded into obscurity. How come Baseball Stars on the Neo Geo couldn't have the same awesome features that the NES version had? What a shame.

Return to “Classic Gaming”