The Animation Lovers Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
LoganRuckman

The Animation Lovers Thread

Postby LoganRuckman » December 30th, 2015, 8:23 am

Animation is my favorite medium of TV and film, so I decided to start a thread for it. Rather than focusing on one topic, this thread is meant for literally any and all discussions about animation.

I saw Inside Out recently, and I fell in love. The movie is appropriately enough an emotional rollercoaster and easily Pixar's best film since Toy Story 3.

Studio Ghibli is my favorite film studio of all time, with Spirited Away being my favorite movie ever, but unfortunately the last Ghibli movie I've seen was The Secret World Of Arrietty, which was great. Do the movies since then still have that Ghibli magic?

I really want to watch Dragon Ball Super due to my love of DB, but since the first season is going through Battle Of Gods and Revival Of F, I want to watch those movies first.

I got a Wal-Mart gift card, so sometime this week, I'm going to buy the complete series of Cowboy Bebop. One of the all time greats, and I think it's sad that this legendary series only got 26 episodes.

I have to say, though Toy Story is my favorite Pixar series as well as my favorite film trilogy, I'm not so sure I'm all that excited for Toy Story 4 (The Incredibles 2 is actually higher on my feverishly anticipated sequels list). The progression through the first three movies was perfect, and I also feel that TS3 ended perfectly. I'm hoping that the fourth movie isn't just an excuse to milk the series and turn it into a cash cow.

Sorry my comments are all over the place, but like I said, I love animation and I have a lot to say. Anyways, any fellow animation lovers on this forum?

Rev

Re: The Animation Lovers Thread

Postby Rev » December 30th, 2015, 10:53 am

I have periods where I really watch a lot of anime and others where I watch nearly nothing at all. I have always liked cartoons and anime however, my partner isn't too fond of it, thus I've watched it less over the years. Recently I've been watching One Piece from start to finish... A very long project indeed, as I'm at episode 386 but thankfully most episodes at about 15 minutes, and I've been skipping all the filler episodes so it's taken a couple of months. I'm excited because I'm finally getting to episodes I've never seen as I took a very long break from the series and have finally come back to it. I used to collect Anime and mangas however, I decided I only really wanted to collect one kind of thing, thus I focused more heavily on gaming since I love that just a little bit more. Unlike gaming, I'm not too concerned with actually owning the series I watch/read, it is more about having something to watch when I'm free. I do a lot of streaming for series that I like, when I want to watch them.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » December 30th, 2015, 11:10 am

It sounds like you don't have a lot of free time to watch anime, so I would recommend Cowboy Bebop if you haven't already watched I. At 26 episodes, it's really easy to marathon. I seriously can't recommend it enough. Thwre's a reason it's held in such high regard.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » December 30th, 2015, 8:07 pm

I was really excited to hear that a Blu Ray release of the original Evangelion TV show is in the works! It's my favorite anime of all time. I recently sold my DVD set for $250 because it was out of print. What timing!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 6th, 2016, 12:10 am

I only have two must-see movies this year, and they're both cartoons about anthropomorphic animals. Huh...

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 6th, 2016, 11:24 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I only have two must-see movies this year, and they're both cartoons about anthropomorphic animals. Huh...

Zootopia looks hilarious!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 10th, 2016, 12:09 pm

ptdebate wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:I only have two must-see movies this year, and they're both cartoons about anthropomorphic animals. Huh...

Zootopia looks hilarious!

And I'm a big fan of the Kung Fu Panda movies.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » February 12th, 2016, 1:25 pm

I wouldn't call myself an afficionado, but I did always enjoy the show from what I've seen. I've never been able to catch much past the episode where the other Uncle showed up though. Show had a x-files/ twilight zone vibe to it. I thought the pilot with the gnomes was absolutely hilarious.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 21st, 2016, 4:50 pm

I recently got to a point where I could take a break from One Piece. I stopped right before the Dressrosa Arc, since it isn't complete yet. I started watching Hunter X Hunter (2011) and I'm really enjoying that one as well. The series is incomplete because the manga is still going (it's on a hiatus) but at least I can watch the series fairly quickly. The next series I watch will definitely be shorter as these long shonen series take forever to get through.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 21st, 2016, 6:34 pm

I like animated movies a lot. My top 3 would be:

1. Prince of Egypt
2. The Croods
3. Rango

I don't watch anime.

Return to “Other Media”