What if, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS was canceled and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU was a exclusive instead?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

What if, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS was canceled and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU was a exclusive instead?

Postby Sonicx9 » January 1st, 2016, 11:30 pm

What if, Nintendo canceled Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS similar to what Techland did for the PS3/Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light as they did not want to water down the game to the lowest common denominator, and instead, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was an exclusive instead of being a Multiplatform game?

In my opinion, it would have been a far better game for the following reasons?

1. It would have been bigger/better/more complete with more stages/modes/features, etc.

2. It would have allowed more characters to be in the game such as the Ice Climbers to be playable along with other characters to be included/more item types, etc.

3. The Graphics would have looked better and pushed the Wii U to it proper limits.

4. The Game would have sold better on the Wii U and could have saved the Wii U from being a complete failure like it is as of now.

Agree/Disagree, anything you people on the forums would like to add, please post here and let me know?

Shapur

Re: What if, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS was canceled and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU was a exclusive instead?

Postby Shapur » January 2nd, 2016, 2:15 am

Considering the 3DS version outsold the Wii U version 2-1, Nintendo would've lost out on about $240 million in revenue.

Sonicx9

Re: What if, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS was canceled and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU was a exclusive instead?

Postby Sonicx9 » January 2nd, 2016, 10:26 am

Shapur wrote:Considering the 3DS version outsold the Wii U version 2-1, Nintendo would've lost out on about $240 million in revenue.

To me, the artistic vision is more important then money, here is a quote from Techland on why the lowest common denominator can ruin your artistic vision of the game.

"Dear Gamers,"

"As you probably know, we’re wrapping up the development of Dying Light, our biggest and most ambitious project to date. We spent the last three years making sure that all the features of our game add up to create a truly next-gen experience."

"Much of this “next-gen feel” is tightly connected to the technological side of Dying Light. For instance, up to 200,000 objects can be displayed in the game at once. Add to this our use of realistic, physics-based lighting technology and you really start to push the next-gen systems to the limits. Features like these along with our core gameplay pillars – such as the player-empowering Natural Movement, threefold character development system, and vast open world – are all an inherent part of how Dying Light plays. However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms."

"Therefore, after thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC. Put simply, older consoles just couldn’t run the game and stay true to the core vision of Dying Light at the same time."

"To ensure you enjoy Dying Light as much as we would like you to, we chose to release it without any compromises on the three strongest systems available. Thanks to this, you’ll get the full and best experience regardless of the platform you play on."

"We hope you understand the hard choice we’ve had to make. With the launch just around the corner, we can’t wait to show you Dying Light in the state it was meant to be. We’re looking forward to your reactions and impressions as we release the game in January 2015."

Not only did Techland had common sense on what they did was a right decision, but it makes me wish other companies, cough cough Activision on game like Destiny and recent Call of Duty games, cough cough Japanese Publishers/Developers on games like Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain and Persona 5, cough cough Rise of the Tomb Raider, cough cough Nintendo on Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, cough cough Watch Dogs, etc. did the same thing at the last second to prove that in order for the PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U to be pushed to their 100% Proper limits in both Graphics/Gameplay scope of the project/less bugs/glitchs/higher freamrate, etc, they need to stop doing version of games on the PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS and put 100% focus on the PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U, I rellly do hope that Mighty No. 9 for PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS gets canceled at last second as well, and if this did happen, people such as me, The Video Game Critic, Rich of ReviewTechUSA would all be far less negative on the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U respectivly agree/disagree comments?

zetax

Postby zetax » January 2nd, 2016, 1:49 pm

I don't really see how making a portable version compromised the console version. One is not a port of the other, they are separately developed games. Art style is different, lots of things are different between them.

I don't think releasing it only for the Wii U would have helped the slow selling console. I also don't think the 3DS version really ate-into Wii U sales. What are there? Eight-times the number of 3DSs out there? It was bound to sell more copies...

Rev

Postby Rev » January 2nd, 2016, 2:04 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:1. It would have been bigger/better/more complete with more stages/modes/features, etc.

2. It would have allowed more characters to be in the game such as the Ice Climbers to be playable along with other characters to be included/more item types, etc.

3. The Graphics would have looked better and pushed the Wii U to it proper limits.

4. The Game would have sold better on the Wii U and could have saved the Wii U from being a complete failure like it is as of now.

I really don't agree with most of your post..
1. It already has quite a few stages and the # of stages are pretty much the same as Melee/Brawl. It's unlikely there would have been more without DLC.
2. Ice Climbers definitely would have been in there if the 3DS version didn't exist (there's articles somewhere showing they were in the code), however, the roster is the largest in the series. Other than the iC's there probably wouldn't have been any other additional characters as they weren't found in the coding of the game.
3. This is really hard to prove one way or another. The game looks great for a last generation game, which is the most that can be expected of the Wii U.
4. I think there is some truth to this, as I know a lot of people who would have bought a Wii U for the sole reason of owning Smash 4, however the # of people who bought the Wii U for this would have likely been minimal compared to the # of copies the 3DS sold. The game may have very well sold quite a few 3DS systems as well so I'd think Nintendo made more money this way. I don't think it would have saved the Wii U as Nintendo had pretty much given up on the Wii U by the time Smash 4 came out anyway...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 2nd, 2016, 3:29 pm

Rev wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:1. It would have been bigger/better/more complete with more stages/modes/features, etc.

2. Ice Climbers definitely would have been in there if the 3DS version didn't exist (there's articles somewhere showing they were in the code), however, the roster is the largest in the series. Other than the iC's there probably wouldn't have been any other additional characters as they weren't found in the coding of the game.

About the Ice Climbers being removed from the game, that is a great example of how your artistic vision can be hampered by the lowest common denominator in the fact that you do have to compromised the game in a certain way just so it could run well on both system types.

And two of the worst victims of games being ruined by the lowest common denominator is the infamous Destiny and Watch Dogs games, as both games were water downed to the weakest links so it could be more consistent to each other, with Destiny being only 30FPS do to the last gen versions: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Destin ... 64733.html and http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -downgrade

Voor

Postby Voor » January 3rd, 2016, 1:46 am

I have a side question:

The last smash I've played was Melee on the GC. I've heard that the ones to come after that (Brawl, Wii U, 3DS) were a pretty big step down....why is that?

Rev

Postby Rev » January 3rd, 2016, 12:15 pm

Voor wrote:I have a side question:

The last smash I've played was Melee on the GC. I've heard that the ones to come after that (Brawl, Wii U, 3DS) were a pretty big step down....why is that?

From a competitive standpoint, Melee is the last really good smash brothers game as it has a very in depth learning curve and due to game exploits, the game has become something that is 1.) very fast paced, 2.) has a lot of advanced techniques such as Wave Dancing (which make the game a lot more in depth than Nintendo even wanted), and 3.) a decent group of viable tournament characters to learn inside and out. Compared to that Brawl has things like tripping, is much more defensive as a game, and relies more on prediction than combos to play well. Smash 4 had quite a few advanced techniques but Nintendo decided to remove them from the game every time one was found, this has drastically limited the potential the game had to balance itself out and for the metagame to develop. Also Smash 4 is more of a mix of Brawl and Melee with a faster pace overall, however advanced techniques rely on being frame perfect which is very hard to do compared to Melee, and has removed a lot of competitive staples such as edge hogging, etc.

Return to “Video Games General”