Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 14th, 2016, 5:21 pm

I've been corresponding with a coworker as we've been playing the game in parallel. One thing we noticed was there are a surprising number of bugs in this game. I would have expected better quality from a mature franchise. You always wonder for Fall releases if they were rushed for the holidays.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 15th, 2016, 12:08 am

First of all, Sonic9x, that post was too freakin' long both times. Not sure why you needed to post the same thing twice.

Second, just knowing that Tomb Raider has enough language to spur a response from people tells me all I need to know to wait and buy this game used and cheap. Recently on this forum someone talked about when dads find time to play games, and excessive harsh language, while already sounding simple-minded and white-trashy to me, is fairly offensive to my wife, and I have five kids under 9 years old. I would prefer they not hear me playing a game with f-bombs in it, so I probably would only play this when I'm home alone, which is almost never, which means I will forget where I am in the story, which will cause me to lose interest, and I will end up not getting my money's worth.... Unless I buy it used for ten bucks in the future. :)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 15th, 2016, 3:18 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've been corresponding with a coworker as we've been playing the game in parallel. One thing we noticed was there are a surprising number of bugs in this game. I would have expected better quality from a mature franchise. You always wonder for Fall releases if they were rushed for the holidays.

It is not just the fact that they rushed the game for holiday 2015 for the bugs/glitches problems, but also the games was ported to the Xbox 360, and because they wanted to make the Xbox 360 and Xbox One close to each other, it was no easy task, so bugs/problems are going to happen for sure.

See folks, the lowest common denominator can mess up the quality of the game if you want the weakest link/strongest link to be consistent with each other, you are going to get more broken games with cross-gen/8th Gen Handheld spread, even Rich of ReviewTechUSA said it better with this part in the YouTube video:.https://youtu.be/2I8BaM1yNSc?t=6m22s

Steve

Postby Steve » January 15th, 2016, 11:54 am

surprising number of bugs in this game
Similar to the excessive profanity and specific instances of violence, I don't remember any bugs at all. Either I am getting desensitized to the issues that make current/last generation unappealing to so many people or I'm losing my mind. I'd be foolish to think there are not bugs in games, including this one, but they don't seem to have a lasting impression that takes away from the overall satisfaction. Can you be specific about the bugs being encountered? If not specific, then perhaps at least the types of bugs?

I guess I should be happy that I am so easily pleased with most of the games I play and that I don't encounter a lot of these issues that bug other people.

David

Postby David » January 15th, 2016, 1:38 pm

I've played a a handful of hours and haven't noticed the language at all. The deaths are violent, so I could see the argument there, but comparative to other games that are widely praised here (such as GTA, or Until Dawn) and elsewhere it doesn't move the meter at all.

The one thing that is souring me on the game is the input lag. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to aim, and I think it's making me a little motion sick. I know it's not my TV, because it doesn't happen on other games, and Digital Foundry wrote a piece detailing the graphical performance and noted the same thing. Curiously, the Xbox 360 version doesn't suffer from it though. I'm thinking of just buying the PC version later this month because of it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Not talking about minor glitches, talking about:
- Game reset to title screen during action
- Once after respawned, all enemies in level were dead even though I didn't kill them
- Game froze, had to reboot (my friend ran into this one)

Steve

Postby Steve » January 15th, 2016, 6:34 pm

- Game reset to title screen during action
- Once after respawned, all enemies in level were dead even though I didn't kill them
- Game froze, had to reboot (my friend ran into this one)

I guess I was lucky. I didn't have any of these happen to me. I certainly died plenty of times and there were always enemies leftover. I'm pretty sure there was an update when I first installed it but don't remember if it is was required. Anyway, I hope these don't have a major influence on your review. I'm hoping to see a good review.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 15th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:First of all, Sonic9x, that post was too freakin' long both times. Not sure why you needed to post the same thing twice.

Second, just knowing that Tomb Raider has enough language to spur a response from people tells me all I need to know to wait and buy this game used and cheap. Recently on this forum someone talked about when dads find time to play games, and excessive harsh language, while already sounding simple-minded and white-trashy to me, is fairly offensive to my wife, and I have five kids under 9 years old. I would prefer they not hear me playing a game with f-bombs in it, so I probably would only play this when I'm home alone, which is almost never, which means I will forget where I am in the story, which will cause me to lose interest, and I will end up not getting my money's worth.... Unless I buy it used for ten bucks in the future. :)

Paul Campbell I am sorry about doing the post twice, so I will delete the second one.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 24th, 2018, 12:01 am

This game falls flat for me. What worked for "Definitive Edition" just doesn't cut it anymore. It feels played-out and fails to hold my interest. It feels like the same game with a different storyline.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 7th, 2019, 3:31 pm

My daughter and I just watched and enjoyed the movie (more than I expected). Anyway, I considered picking up a modern console to play these games on, since I heard they were really well done. Well, the violence and profanity shut that down pretty quick. Oh well

Return to “Now Playing”