New System: Sega SG-1000

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: New System: Sega SG-1000

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2016, 5:17 pm

I fixed the link - sorry for the confusion. It's a Sega Mark III system.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Well I got the system today - less than two weeks after ordering it from Japan! And shipping was FREE. It was very well-packed - maybe too well - too me a while to unwrap everything.

The console is refurbished but it works! Like Terry said, I had to turn it to channel 95, but the picture looks good. From what I can tell the graphics are Sega Master System quality. It came with Afterburner and Space Harrier. I don't know if they are any different from the SMS games, but I will have to compare side-by-side.

The system itself has definitely seen better days. It was pretty scratched up and the power light doesn't work. It seems like it needs a controller in both ports to function. But it will suffice for my purposes.

It came with a power adapter that was a lot smaller and lighter than what I'm used to. It also came with an RF cable and a controller. The controller is exactly like the SMS. One difference is that all these wires are a lot shorter than I'm used to. Maybe because they were refurbished? Or maybe they're just shorter in Japan.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeking out some original games. There's one called Dragons Wang which sounds promising. LOL
VGC

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 15th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Isn't it the mark III you have? Then those games are the exact same as the Master System I believe.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 15th, 2016, 11:57 pm

Wires are shorter in Japan. Your TurboGrafx-16 has the same problem.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 16th, 2016, 7:07 am

I'm surprised they didn't replace the power LED.

I actually get a feeling more reminiscent of the Colecovision with the SG-1000 games that I've loaded up via an Everdrive. Compare the Hang-On ports for instance and it really makes the SMS feel like a significantly more powerful system from a later generation.

Not sure if that was just a result of Sega getting better at console development or if they actually souped up the internals when they revamped their home hardware and brought it westward as the Sega Master System.

Are the controller cables hardwired? If not and it's something standard like the DB-9 style plug that so many systems used into the 1990's, it should be easy enough to extend their reach if you find that it's a problem.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 16th, 2016, 10:39 am

Atariboy wrote:I'm surprised they didn't replace the power LED.

I actually get a feeling more reminiscent of the Colecovision with the SG-1000 games that I've loaded up via an Everdrive. Compare the Hang-On ports for instance and it really makes the SMS feel like a significantly more powerful system from a later generation.

Not sure if that was just a result of Sega getting better at console development or if they actually souped up the internals when they revamped their home hardware and brought it westward as the Sega Master System.

SG-1000 (Mark I) was Sega's first system, meant to compete with Famicom, and it was closer to Colecovision in ability.

What Dave bought is the Mark III, Sega's third attempt to compete with Nintendo, and when it came to USA it was called Master System.

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/ ... ge=reviews

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/ ... ge=reviews

scotland

Postby scotland » January 16th, 2016, 11:21 am

Marriott_Guy wrote: Can you please adjust the reference to my website (http://www.videogamecopnsolelibrary.com)

What an awesome site. Looking at the Colecovision, SG-1000 MK1 and MK3/SMS specs, they all are Z80 family chips running at the same speed. The MK3/SMS definately has a lot more RAM, but oddly, it went from 32 sprites in the Colecovision and MK1 down to 16 for the MK3/SMS. Isn't that odd? Given Sega's arcade games, 32 sprites would have been more appropriate.

According to the specs and a comment, the US SMS and the SG-1000 Mk3 have a difference in the BIOS which prevents the SMS being able to play SG-1000 MK1 games, while the MK3 still can. Interesting, considering that hardware sprite issue. Maybe none of the small MK1 games ever used more than 16 sprites anyway....be interesting to test though.

For the controller, since the MK3 has two external controller ports, can you use one of those 9 pin extension cables? They are pretty reasonably priced on Ebay (search for Atari controller extension cable). I think they work just fine on my SMS.

Hope you enjoy the SG-1000 Mk3 system. I'm looking forward to reviews of the MK1 games...

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 16th, 2016, 11:56 am

VideoGameCritic wrote: Or maybe they're just shorter in Japan.
VGC

I think that goes without saying, Dave...

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » January 16th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Looking forward to the game / console review(s) Dave. Congrats on the4 purchase.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 16th, 2016, 6:37 pm

scotland wrote:
Marriott_Guy wrote: Can you please adjust the reference to my website (http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com)

What an awesome site.

Marriott Guy has had an awesome site for many years.

A few years ago it was revamped and merged with another similar site, I wish I remember what it was called.

Return to “Video Games General”