2016/1/16: Xbox One: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/1/16: Xbox One: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2016, 6:03 pm

Just finished this game this morning. Check out my review.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2016/1/16: Xbox One: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 17th, 2016, 5:22 pm

I'm starting to wonder if the game's M rating hurt its sales. I hear sales for Rise of the Tomb Raider are falling short of expectations.

Rev

Postby Rev » January 17th, 2016, 6:08 pm

I think making this game an Xbox Exclusive (for a year) was a bad move... It would have sold much better if it had released A ps4 copy...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 18th, 2016, 5:10 am

Good review. I just finished the Borderlands 2 xbox one game this morning so might be in the market for another game soon. Though as I want to get Wasteland 2, Nazi zombie army trilogy, Witcher 3 Final Fantasy Type 0.... it will have to get in the queue.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 18th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Rev wrote:I think making this game an Xbox Exclusive (for a year) was a bad move... It would have sold much better if it had released A ps4 copy...

Doesn't that go without saying? I always assumed that Microsoft would have to pay a premium to the developer if they wanted a game to be an exclusive, otherwise what's in it for the developer?

Rev

Postby Rev » January 18th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Well it depends on whether Microsoft made it worth their while. Did they announce what the company received for making the game a timed exclusive?

Voor

Postby Voor » January 18th, 2016, 7:38 pm

scotland wrote:Nice review. Does the whole game have lighting as dark as the screenshot you used. Compare that to the bright Battlefront image.

This cinematic adventure blurs the line between video game and film...It seems as if the designers were bending over backwards to earn the a Mature (17+) rating. The language includes plenty of F-bombs and there is an eye-gouging scene I could barely watch. What the hell. There is no good reason a Tomb Raider game should be rated any higher than Teen.

PG-13 movies tend to the biggest Hollywood money makers each year, and with The Force Awakens as PG-13, it probably was in 2015 too. PG-13 allows a lot of violence (murder an entire village, stab a few defenseless old men with laser swords, death of enemy combatants treated as comedy, etc), but restricts profanity, sexual conduct, etc. PG movies often return pretty good bang for the buck too, but generally, if a studio wants a blockbuster movie, it wants a PG-13 rating.

However, R ups the standard ingredients and makes them more graphic. Hollywood makes more R movies than any other rating, even though PG-13 movies, on average, make a whole lot more money. Maybe its about image, or maybe its targeting that demographic that wants to see R. Mobilizing the base instead of enlarging the tent idea. Maybe Square Enix wanted the M rating to send a signal to its demographic, the same way that most horror movies go for R. Maybe it trying to redefine the franchise's image as more 'hardcore'. For your review of the next installment of the franchise, your expectations of a Tomb Raider game will now have be redefined as one including profanity and graphic violence.

I've always heard this as well--that PG13 movies make way more money than R, yet Hollywood keeps forcing them down our throat. I know, personally, I would enjoy modern comedies more if they tamed them down a bit--more clever and less vulgar.

Disappointing to hear that the Tomb Raider franchise went down this path. Its just common sense that you make your target audience so much smaller when you do this. Does the Zelda franchise's lack of sexuality and violence and cursing hurt sales? Nope.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 18th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Voor wrote:
scotland wrote:Nice review. Does the whole game have lighting as dark as the screenshot you used. Compare that to the bright Battlefront image.

This cinematic adventure blurs the line between video game and film...It seems as if the designers were bending over backwards to earn the a Mature (17+) rating. The language includes plenty of F-bombs and there is an eye-gouging scene I could barely watch. What the hell. There is no good reason a Tomb Raider game should be rated any higher than Teen.

PG-13 movies tend to the biggest Hollywood money makers each year, and with The Force Awakens as PG-13, it probably was in 2015 too. PG-13 allows a lot of violence (murder an entire village, stab a few defenseless old men with laser swords, death of enemy combatants treated as comedy, etc), but restricts profanity, sexual conduct, etc. PG movies often return pretty good bang for the buck too, but generally, if a studio wants a blockbuster movie, it wants a PG-13 rating.

However, R ups the standard ingredients and makes them more graphic. Hollywood makes more R movies than any other rating, even though PG-13 movies, on average, make a whole lot more money. Maybe its about image, or maybe its targeting that demographic that wants to see R. Mobilizing the base instead of enlarging the tent idea. Maybe Square Enix wanted the M rating to send a signal to its demographic, the same way that most horror movies go for R. Maybe it trying to redefine the franchise's image as more 'hardcore'. For your review of the next installment of the franchise, your expectations of a Tomb Raider game will now have be redefined as one including profanity and graphic violence.

I've always heard this as well--that PG13 movies make way more money than R, yet Hollywood keeps forcing them down our throat. I know, personally, I would enjoy modern comedies more if they tamed them down a bit--more clever and less vulgar.

Disappointing to hear that the Tomb Raider franchise went down this path. Its just common sense that you make your target audience so much smaller when you do this. Does the Zelda franchise's lack of sexuality and violence and cursing hurt sales? Nope.

Fun Fact, even though PG13 movies make way more money than R rated Movies, but for Video Games, it is the opposite as their are more M rated games that sell more then T rated games, here is an example of this from this Forbes Article for Arkham Knight: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... e914f116bd

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » January 19th, 2016, 8:33 am

These new Tomb Raider games look awful. Way to take a fun, pulpy, adventure, franchise and turn it into run-of-the-mill, overly dark, hyper realistic dreck. Games like this are why most modern consoles are a wasteland ALMOST not worth dredging through. I miss the days when it was all pointy, polygon, boobs and a sexy British accent for Ms. Croft. :shock:

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 19th, 2016, 12:10 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:These new Tomb Raider games look awful. Way to take a fun, pulpy, adventure, franchise and turn it into run-of-the-mill, overly dark, hyper realistic dreck. Games like this are why most modern consoles are a wasteland ALMOST not worth dredging through. I miss the days when it was all pointy, polygon, boobs and a sexy British accent for Ms. Croft. :shock:

I agree with you on that 100%.

And one series to blame for all of this is the infamous Call of Duty Franchise, as it pressured many Publishers/Developers to make their games overly dark, hyper realistic in the vain of Call of Duty, go figure?

Return to “Review Feedback”