Modern consoles = Internet problems?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Modern consoles = Internet problems?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 20th, 2016, 10:11 pm

A few minutes ago the wife was complaining that her laptop couldn't connect to the internet. I checked mine and it was the same. The computers were clearly trying to connect to the wii-fi, but couldn't.

So I went downstairs where I thought I had left my PS4 in stand-by mode (Guitar Hero Live) but I'm not sure I did because I heard music when I turned on the TV. Anyway I shut down the PS4 completely and this cleared up the problem.

Was the PS4 starving out the Internet from other devices, or am I reading too much into it? It doesn't help I have an older router and my Internet service (Comcast) isn't very reliable.

Voor

Re: Modern consoles = Internet problems?

Postby Voor » January 21st, 2016, 7:26 am

Nah, I don't think it works that way. Lol. But I always have the same thought when we got 3-4 devices all using the wifi at the same time....and get connection problems.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 23rd, 2016, 2:56 am

Oh yeah that can happen for sure. Your router might be set to only let like 10 things on at once. Anymore just won't connect in that case. Mine was originally set up that way and I changed it to accept up to like 50 or 100.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 24th, 2016, 9:09 pm

This happens when any device in the house is running netflix. I can barely watch a youtube video if someone is watching netflix. I upgraded both my modem and my router to pretty beefy units, which helped a little, but not by much. Comcast does cap our interweb speed though, and I had to subscribe for their "streaming package" so I could even be able to watch netflix. Its possible your PS4 was doing a bunch of background upgrades or something?

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » January 25th, 2016, 2:33 am

You can blame service providers for glorifying their data caps as "fair share". My new tablet couldn't authenticate my secure router from initial setup, as it turns out, I had to disconnect my laptop and unplug my U-Verse box to get it to work. Thanks AT&T :roll:

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » January 25th, 2016, 4:46 am

Yeah, the more things that are trying to connect to internet, the less each get's of your bandwidth.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 25th, 2016, 7:11 am

Interesting, I've run 2 devices with Netflix and 2 phones internet surfing without any problems.

AT&T Uverse

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 26th, 2016, 9:40 am

Voor wrote:Interesting, I've run 2 devices with Netflix and 2 phones internet surfing without any problems.

AT&T Uverse

Its all based on your location. For example, I was in a test market for data caps. I have had them for several years, while other markets are just beginning the process, and some dont have them at all.

Return to “Video Games General”