Mario Maker... what's next?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Mario Maker... what's next?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 3rd, 2016, 11:00 pm

I'm kinda hoping that Mario Maker opens the doors to Nintendo making a lot more "Maker" titles, like The Legend of Zelda Maker, Donkey Kong Country Maker, or Castlevania Maker. Do you think this is likely, and if so what franchises do you want to see be used?

ActRaiser

Re: Mario Maker... what's next?

Postby ActRaiser » February 7th, 2016, 4:03 pm

This is a really good question!

Games like Little Big Planet on the PS3 and Project Spark on the Xbox One offers something very similar with a broader audience and capabilities.

However, there's something really magical about the way Nintendo implements things. They simplify things enough to make it really easy and inviting to play.

A Zelda Maker would be pretty sweet! That would be an easy million plus seller. Although, a Metroidvania might take the cake. But what might be even better, Mother Maker. Because, seriously, just buying a game called Mother Maker would be awesome.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 7th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Mario kart maker?

The idea goes back at least as far as 1983 EA Pinball Construction Set, but Mario Maker has been quite a hit for the big N. Since it began as a development tool anyway, more games would seem made of win.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 13th, 2016, 12:16 am

Or a Mega Man Maker. They already did this once with the PSP Mega Man game, so it shouldn't be too hard... although, seeing the brutal levels people have made on Mario Maker, I can't imagine what they'd create from a game that's as punishing as Mega Man.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 13th, 2016, 9:59 am

That would be really awesome if Nintendo made a Metroid or Zelda maker. Maybe if the Wii U had been more successful we would see another one of these. The Wii U seems perfect for these type of games, due to its controller, is the NX supposed to have a similar touch screen controller?

nesfan

Postby nesfan » February 13th, 2016, 6:25 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Or a Mega Man Maker. They already did this once with the PSP Mega Man game, so it shouldn't be too hard... although, seeing the brutal levels people have made on Mario Maker, I can't imagine what they'd create from a game that's as punishing as Mega Man.
Spike drops and Quick lasers. Everywhere.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 21st, 2016, 4:29 pm

Given that Nintendo is getting bad press from deleting Mario Maker levels without warning and without comment, from kids and adults, I would guess nothing is next until they figure out how to communicate better with their fanbase and learn to curate user created content better.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 21st, 2016, 8:56 pm

scotland wrote:Given that Nintendo is getting bad press from deleting Mario Maker levels without warning and without comment, from kids and adults, I would guess nothing is next until they figure out how to communicate better with their fanbase and learn to curate user created content better.

I saw an article about them doing this to a streamer but honestly, boo hoo, not that big a deal. The game is plenty of fun and I imagine 99% of people don't have any issue with levels being deleted (whether it is happening to them or not). I imagine it's probably a programming error and given the bad press about that streamer's levels they'll probably restore his (though not everyone's I'm sure).

I'm not going to ignore a fun game because of a little glitch. If I did I would never play anything. There's nothing game breaking in the glitch; just make a new level. Most people aren't holding their levels that close to their hearts. Nintendo makes a lot of bad business moves but Mario Maker is not one of them. Honestly the best game for Wii U and they've consistently added free updates.

SilveryFire

Postby SilveryFire » March 21st, 2016, 10:07 pm

Whatever. More censorship. Good riddance

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 24th, 2016, 2:31 am

SilveryFire wrote:Whatever. More censorship. Good riddance

Good riddance to who or what? No one went anywhere. Nintendo is still around and so is Mario Maker.

And yeah, a private company that makes children's video games is going to censor user made levels. If they didn't they would lose half their business.

Return to “Video Games General”