Does anyone else beside me, Dave the Video Game Critic, and Rich of ReviewTechUSA hate the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Does anyone else beside me, Dave the Video Game Critic, and Rich of ReviewTechUSA hate the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

Postby Sonicx9 » February 16th, 2016, 1:07 pm

I hate the 3 systems with my gut do to the following reasons!

Lake of real exclusives/exclusive in mind games that show off the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U hardware like it should be!

Many of the better/worser games are either on the 7th Gen consoles/or 8th Gen portables/PC with most of the 7th Gen consoles/8th Gen portables versions not being all that much worse/far behind save for a few exceptions such as Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor being awful on the PS3/Xbox 360, WWE 2K15/16 being different water down games on PS3/Xbox 360, and Call of Duty: Black Ops III on PS3/Xbox 360 being incomplete with little to no content even tough Black Ops III sucked to begin with?

Not many of the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U games are very next gen in graphics/game play scope.

Many games are incomplete with little to no content.

The critic did not give very high score for the supposed good games on 8th gen consoles(examples include Batman: Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, etc. Heck he even gives the 3DS version of Smash Bros a better score, What the heck, it should not be like this!)

Also why is a cross-gen game like Rise of the Tomb Raider getting a higher score then Batman: Arkham Knight, Bloodborne which are both more next gen in graphics/game play scope, this should not happen.

I would like to have your guys thoughts on this and if you agree/disagree?

Sut

Re: Does anyone else beside me, Dave the Video Game Critic, and Rich of ReviewTechUSA hate the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

Postby Sut » February 16th, 2016, 3:08 pm

I always find the exclusive thing a strange argument. If it's a great game and multi platform then it's still a great game.
Back in the day a game would release on all major systems ST, Amiga, Speccy, Amstrad, C64 and it was always fun to see each versions strengths and weaknesses.

I really don't give two hoots if a games exclusive or not. I've sunk many hours into MGSV and GTAV and does it matter that Xbone owners can play the same game ? No it doesn't. The Wii U library is almost all exclusives and we all know how well that's doing in reality having the best version of a multi plat is just as important.

Games are definitely giving us bigger worlds now. I think people need to see this generation for what it is, an evolution rather than revolution. Just like the move from 3rd gen to 4th gen same basic game mechanics but a big jump in experience. This is not a quantum leap jump like the 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th.

For me this generation is no better or worse than other generations there are still great games out there.

scotland

Re: Does anyone else beside me, Dave the Video Game Critic, and Rich of ReviewTechUSA hate the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

Postby scotland » February 16th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Sut wrote:I always find the exclusive thing a strange argument. If it's a great game and multi platform then it's still a great game.

frogger8ways(1).jpg
frogger8ways(1).jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 3117 times

From a consumer's point of view, I'm right with you. Its fun to look at Imagic's Demon Attack or Konami's Frogger on many of the 8 bit systems. Having games cross the aisle helped the market support many different platforms since it reduced the penalty of choosing poorly. For 3rd party developers, it got their software in front of more eyes and wallets, and got their feet in lots of doors. For hardware only companies like Commodore, the more games the merrier.

However, for 1st party developers like Atari and Coleco and Nintendo, notice how they fought over rights to arcade ports of games like Pac Man and Donkey Kong, right to movies like E.T., and of course Nintendo used exclusives to build their North American domination.

You are right on the WiiU. In the big view, it has many terrific exclusives, but nothing has been so terrific to overcome its gaps in not having those multiplatform games, American football for instance. The other two big players have indeed evolved, and co-evolved into a stable mix, like a pyramid of gaming. There are some console defining exclusives at the top, some 'timed exclusives' in the middle and a large base of multiplatform games. All in all, it has once again reduced the penalty for choosing poorly. The question is, could another deep pocketed company, like Google or Apple, came in with a similar machine that could also play that base of multiplatform games, would the market accept that?

Tron

Postby Tron » February 16th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Well the main reasons I got a PS4 was Fallout 4 and NBA 2k16. Can't say I'm too impressed. Graphics are slightly improved so that's nice, but Artificial Intelligence is actually worse or at best the same as last gen. I can't say that anything I've played on PS4 couldn't have been done on the PS3. The only difference would be the better visuals. Maybe the world in Fallout 4 would have to be smaller too. The size of the playing area is pretty big.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 17th, 2016, 6:13 am

Tron wrote:Maybe the world in Fallout 4 would have to be smaller too. The size of the playing area is pretty big.

That's the biggest thing I've noticed this gen the worlds are bigger and more open. With little to no loading times.
Seriously go back and play a 7th gen title and they almost feel claustrophobic in comparison you can now see as far as your eyes allow.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 19th, 2016, 9:29 pm

I have never been an xbox fan after the initial one. Had a 360, hated it, end of story.

I love my PS3, but this whole push for online only games with the PS4 turns me off big time, especially since you have to pay to play them. I have no interest in it, and have no reason to buy the system.

The Wii U is a special case. Its a cool system, but the library sucks IMO. Nothing for that system has made me want to shell out the cash to buy it. Its cool, and I would like to own one, I just dont know what I would do with it after I bought it?

Shapur

Postby Shapur » February 22nd, 2016, 4:41 pm

It's not so much that the Wii U sucks imo, but it sucks for 300 ish dollars. If they had cut the price of the system at some point it would have been a lot more tempting. Even used they go for a lot.

I don't hate the new systems, because I haven't bothered to buy them. I hate online, but I'm not gonna gripe too much. If you don't like it, vote with your dollars as they say.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » March 9th, 2016, 1:59 pm

I might be in the minority here, as I've owned each of the new systems.

I say "owned" because I no longer have my PS4 or XBONE. Why? There aren't enough original games to keep my interest, and the ones that do, I can play on PC.

On the other hand, I've been enjoying my Wii U. Nintendo's releases bring the kid out in me. I don't get that from the other guys. I also don't get four player head-to-head or co-op with the other two systems.

PAAGaming

Postby PAAGaming » March 14th, 2016, 3:28 am

I bought Star Wars Battlefront on the PS4 thinking there would be a story mode. I guess nowadays I just can't assume that anymore. After a week I've exchanged it for a Wii Street Fighter type game (although they put Tamahotchi in the box...).

I've not liked any Sony out Microsoft consoles tbh. I'm more of an Atari person.

I like the PS4 for playing films and playing remasters of older games like Grim fandango but I'm starting to give up on trying to like New games.

I have really been happy with my Wii U and the constant trickle of quality games with good local 2 player content. It's just a shame the trickle seems to have stopped now.

I'm half tempted to go back to just having a Wii.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 16th, 2016, 7:52 pm

I hate certain aspects of these systems. Like the constant updates when you only have a few minutes to play. Also, I've had my PS4 since launch, and I still can't remember which button is power, and which button is eject. They have these itty-bitty symbols on them, and it's a pain in the butt.

Return to “Modern Gaming”