Least Favorite 2D Sonic Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retrology

Least Favorite 2D Sonic Games?

Postby Retrology » February 24th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Yesterday I posted a(nother) forum on why I thought Sonic 3D Blast was a good 2D Sonic game (it's close enough in my opinion), and it hit me; What are my least favorite 2D Sonic games then?

At this point I assume we all agree most of the 3D Sonics are terrible, so that's why I'm going with 2D Sonics for a change.

Sonic Labyrinth (GG): This game plays like a precursor to 3D Blast (and a Marble Madness ripoff), but much less enjoyable. The controls, graphics, music, and gameplay are a mess, not much else to be said (I do come back to this one every once in a while, so there's that.)

Sonic Drift: It's not terrible, but it lacks the fun factor Super Mario Kart and Road Rash have. I haven't played this in a while though so I'll have to look at it again.

Sonic Spinball (Game Gear Version): Personally, I kind of despise this game. Granted, the Genesis version isn't great, but at least it was fast and playable. The Game Gear version on the other hand is slow, choppy, and even more frustrating. It really seems like Sega rushed this game, which is a bad excuse considering it came out after the Genesis version.

Sonic Rush: Surprise! Yeah I'm not really high on this game. It's not bad, but it's boring in my opinion, and I prefer Sonic Rush Adventure.

Thoughts?

BlasteroidAli

Re: Least Favorite 2D Sonic Games?

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 25th, 2016, 3:57 am

Sonic CD. A rock hard not particularly enjoyable sonic game. I always want to say to them so back and play Sonic to see how to make a game playable.
I have been stuck on the pinball level for the last 3 years.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » February 25th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Sonic Blast (Game Gear, not to be confused with Sonic 3D Blast) tries to use pseudo-3D graphics, but winds up looking ugly as hell. The gameplay itself is sluggish, and the big sprites make everything seem cramped.

But Sonic Jam (Tiger Game.com) is without a doubt the worst Sonic game ever made (2D or otherwise), and definitely somewhere in the top 50 worst games of all time. The VGC's review says all you need to know about this game, and it makes Sonic '06 look like 3 & Knuckles in terms of playability.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 25th, 2016, 3:18 pm

I don't get on with most of the Game Gear titles, although I do like the Master System games, must be the increased screen estate and more zoomed out picture.

I've never played the GBA trilogy are they any good ?

zetax

Postby zetax » February 25th, 2016, 5:15 pm

eneuman96 wrote:But Sonic Jam (Tiger Game.com) is without a doubt the worst Sonic game ever made (2D or otherwise), and definitely somewhere in the top 50 worst games of all time. The VGC's review says all you need to know about this game, and it makes Sonic '06 look like 3 & Knuckles in terms of playability.

Yes, yes, and yes. Game.com Sonic is a turd, wrapped in ugliness, and deep-fried in misery. Worst. Sonic. Ever.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » February 25th, 2016, 6:05 pm

My least favorite(I don't own every single game) is Sonic 2 on the Game Gear. Facing bosses with 0 rings on the cramped GG screen sucks in my opinion.

Return to “Classic Gaming”