Basic Cell Phone Users?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Hardcore Sadism

Basic Cell Phone Users?

Postby Hardcore Sadism » February 26th, 2016, 4:47 pm

I figured since we're now ranting about Smartphones we can role call who still uses basic phones, along with their tablets which already provide more accessibility than some flagships out there (not knocking smartphones as devices).

To be exact, I've been collecting basic cell phones just cause they've been an increasingly unique breed over the years, with less BRAND NEW options out there versus Smartphones; you often find talk/text-first phones for less than ten dollars even. I recently got my Huawei H110C from Walmart, it is only around eight dollars before shipping and taxes.

Rev

Re: Basic Cell Phone Users?

Postby Rev » February 26th, 2016, 7:19 pm

I have a smartphone but it took me years to upgrade past a basic phone. The main reason why is due to texting. I can text like 90 words a minute, without looking, on a basic cell phone, but touch screens drive me crazy. Swipe has fixed some of the issues and I've had to get used to them, but I can understand why you'd enjoy having a simple phone. More advanced doesn't always make technology better. Still, once you upgrade to a smartphone it is hard to go back. I really enjoy having full internet access, along with apps, on my phone.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 26th, 2016, 8:34 pm

I'm still a basic cell phone user as it is so crazily cheap to have instant contact with anyone. But I carry around an IPhone my son gave me when his mom upgraded. (We are divorced). Considering wifi is available around almost any store around here, I can duck into a parking lot and check the internet almost anytime!

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » February 26th, 2016, 10:01 pm

I have a basic cell phone. Will never move on. I don't want the internet with me everywhere I go.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » February 26th, 2016, 10:50 pm

Ha I don't even have a phone! Lol.

I do have a Galaxy S4(just sold the S3) that I use at home with wifi but it isn't connected as a phone and doesn't leave the house. Use it for skype and a couple of IM apps to keep in touch.

Truthfully, I liked the QWERTY phones more than the basic basic phones. My old BlackBerry 9650 was great. I had an LG enV that was great. I had a Nokia C3 for a while also. I still have a Nokia basic phone laying around if I need a cell phone, but I'm not sure what model it is, and it has had its outer casing completely replaced.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » February 26th, 2016, 11:03 pm

I am certain the best alternative to a smartphone is own an actual tablet in place and keep the basic cell phone as your talk-text. Use Tablet for Skype and Wifi calling/video-calling. Places here in DFW that offer Wi Fi usually ask for you to input a Access Code and frankly I don't want to ask for codes like a weirdo.

Also, my only complaint is how trollish the design of candybar dumb-phones are sometimes. That Huawei is the only basic non-flip phone that isn't prone to butt dialing the Browser key shortcut, then again it might butt-dial 911 at any point. You cannot change that function, it just looks like a planned-obsolescence scheme.

I wonder if WiFi-First basic phones may become a thing? Not that they should feature a browser but use Wi-Fi for calling and texting.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » February 27th, 2016, 7:36 am

SigSauerLover wrote:I have a basic cell phone. Will never move on. I don't want the internet with me everywhere I go.

Exactly what he said. For the rest of my days I will never understand how the vast majority of people became addicted to little 4" screens. And there is no turning back..... you are permanently hooked!

Voor

Postby Voor » February 28th, 2016, 7:21 am

I've had a smart phone for about 5 years. Consequently, it has been about 5 years since I've used my home computer. I only use the Internet on it when I'm within wifi range, which is at home or a random store. I love it because it replaces my need for a: iPod, gps, bank, email device, Internet browser, phone book, and TV much of the time (I'm currently watching Mad Men series via Netflix on it, when the kids hog the TV). That's a pretty good value I think.

Only thing it hasn't replaced are books, I've never mad that transition, but I've never had a kindle or tablet either.

I don't have cable, and really the only Internet I use on it (aside from researching random info I need) is looking at 2-3 forums/websites, sports highlights, YouTube, and Twitch.

shootingstar

Postby shootingstar » February 29th, 2016, 4:39 pm

I was a basic phone user for many years after smartphones came along, until I finally gave in. Being someone who has a bad sense of direction, having GPS for the first time is awesome. I'm sitting around waiting for a prescription to be refilled and it's nice to have something to pass the time.

I do miss having good battery life. My basic phone lasted for a week or more on a charge, while I must charge my smartphone every night. That is why I can't consider the phone to be a good way to play games, the battery life is simply not good enough.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » February 29th, 2016, 6:06 pm

shootingstar wrote:I was a basic phone user for many years after smartphones came along, until I finally gave in. Being someone who has a bad sense of direction, having GPS for the first time is awesome. I'm sitting around waiting for a prescription to be refilled and it's nice to have something to pass the time.

I do miss having good battery life. My basic phone lasted for a week or more on a charge, while I must charge my smartphone every night. That is why I can't consider the phone to be a good way to play games, the battery life is simply not good enough.

Much like Shootingstar I was late to the smartphone party, using a flip phone until late 2014. I still hang onto my old flip phone for alarm purposes and I still to this day haven't transferred all my old contacts over so it's a back-up phone book.

Besides standard phone functions, I primarily just use my phone to surf the web ( which is mostly spent looking over this site these days). I could live without it, but it's a nifty little tool.

Return to “Other Media”