Games everyone seems to like but you

General and high profile video game topics.
eneuman96

Games everyone seems to like but you

Postby eneuman96 » February 24th, 2016, 11:16 pm

What are some games that you just can't bring yourself to appreciate the same way the majority of other people who've played it have?

One big example for me would be the original Strider. So many people hail this as a platforming masterpiece, but I see it as having janky controls (especially when it comes to climbing) and incredibly cheap level design whose hazards you won't see coming until they've already killed you.

juhis815

Re: Games everyone seems to like but you

Postby juhis815 » February 25th, 2016, 2:56 am

Sonic Lost World for Wii U, as I don't think the game is a worthy follow-up to Sonic Generations, but time to time I hear from other people that game is good, or even under-appreciated.

The main reason why I cannot appreciate this game than the others is that level design feels lackluster, and going for 100% completion is a pain in the back, because how obnoxiously some of the red rings are placed. :x

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 25th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Double Dragon, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Battle Toads, Arkham City

Retrology

Postby Retrology » February 26th, 2016, 11:40 am

I never really got into Super Mario Bros 3. I know a lot of people love it and I greatly respect its influence, but I just never went crazy over it like with every other (main) Mario game I've played. Not sure why either, it just doesn't do anything for me.

While I like Mario Kart 64 (I'm breaking the rules I know), I don't love it like many people do. The controls haven't aged all that well, and the fun factor pales in comparison to other N64 racers, especially Diddy Kong Racing, as well as the other Mario Kart titles.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » February 28th, 2016, 1:23 am

There are lots of popular games that I don't care for, but the one game it seems like I should like but don't really is Mario 64. I admit maybe I just haven't given it a proper chance yet, but every time I start playing it I just don't seem to be having all that much fun. The camera is annoying to deal with, and I hate collecting those stars.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 28th, 2016, 5:20 am

eneuman96 wrote:One big example for me would be the original Strider. So many people hail this as a platforming masterpiece, but I see it as having janky controls (especially when it comes to climbing) and incredibly cheap level design whose hazards you won't see coming until they've already killed you.

Wow, I'm not alone, and you're not alone! :) I thought the original Strider on the Genesis was pretty bad too... choppy animation with a lot of slowdowns and crappy controls, I also do not understand why this game is liked so much.

Another game I hated was the original Tomb Raider (played on Saturn). I didn't like the look of it, I didn't like the controls, I thought it was way too slow and most of the time I was lost...

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » March 9th, 2016, 10:12 am

Shapur wrote:There are lots of popular games that I don't care for, but the one game it seems like I should like but don't really is Mario 64. I admit maybe I just haven't given it a proper chance yet, but every time I start playing it I just don't seem to be having all that much fun. The camera is annoying to deal with, and I hate collecting those stars.

It took me a while to warm up to Super Mario 64 as well. Might I suggest playing Super Mario Sunshine first? I think they're equally good (yeah, I said it) but SM64 was easier to get into after.

People love Call of Duty but I find them boring. The most exciting thing for me was the Zombies mode from Black Ops, and playing Nuketown was okay too. Besides that, meh.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 10th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Donkey Kong Country Returns. I'm crazy for the original SNES Donkey Kong Country trilogy, but I didn't like the new one on Wii. It just didn't feel like a DKC game. Like, the old ones were amazing despite their simplicity, but Returns had way too much going on, like pounding on the ground, blowing on enemies, and jumping between the foreground and the background. It's not that it's a bad game, I just went into it expecting it to be exactly like the classic DKC games I grew up with, so it was a disappointment even if it was a good game by its own merits. If it hadn't been a Donkey Kong Country game, I probably would have loved it as much as everyone else.

jon

Postby jon » March 11th, 2016, 11:19 pm

I never liked Sonic the Hedgehog, because even though I love platformers, I have to like the character to get into the game. I guess I can also be neutral on him/her, but if I don't like the character at all, I have a hard time playing the game. I can see "Retrology's" point about Super Mario Bros. 3. I personally really like it, but the acclaim it gets may be a little over the top. When it came out in 1990 (man I'm old) I thought it was unbelievable and the graphics were incredibly impressive for an NES game. But that was compared to what was available at the time, and the first few times I played it I was at my friends house and we were on the lava levels which I love, so my first impression was unbelievable. But, years later it's kind of one of those games that maybe isn't as fun as it used to be.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 12th, 2016, 8:50 am

Shapur wrote:There are lots of popular games that I don't care for, but the one game it seems like I should like but don't really is Mario 64. I admit maybe I just haven't given it a proper chance yet, but every time I start playing it I just don't seem to be having all that much fun. The camera is annoying to deal with, and I hate collecting those stars.

That's understandable. I personally love Mario 64, but there are obvious problems with it. And I could see why someone would not like it. I never really got into Mario Sunshine, so go figure.

Another series people seem to love is Guitar Hero, but this never appealed to me. I like music and all, but I'd get bored quickly when my friends would be playing it. Which for awhile seemed to be every single time we'd hang out.

Return to “Video Games General”