Games you used to like, but aged like milk.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DevMac10

Games you used to like, but aged like milk.

Postby DevMac10 » April 3rd, 2016, 4:15 pm

Have you ever played a game and immediately fell in love with it? Spent hours trying to beat it? But years later, you come back and play it and realize that it aged like milk.

For me, that game is Tenchu Stealth Assasins, with it's awfully blocky models and annoyingly clunky controls.

What about yours?

SigSauerLover

Re: Games you used to like, but aged like milk.

Postby SigSauerLover » April 4th, 2016, 9:54 pm

I used to have a liking for Syphon filter but GEEZE has it aged poorly. The low quality models and archaic controls just scream nastiness.

jon

Postby jon » April 4th, 2016, 10:00 pm

I have to admit unfortunately that for me that game is NBA Jam TE for the SNES. I loved it when I was a kid, and played the heck out of it. But I sparked it up a year ago and for whatever reason, it just stunk. The lack of music irritated me. And I think it's just the fact the I can't stand the way most games look on the SNES is the reason I don't like it anymore. Apparently the 32x and Jaguar versions are really good, so I'm definitely going to look into those.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 5th, 2016, 6:14 am

SilveryFire wrote: So we can curse, as long as it's in our signature?

Thank you for pointing that out.

Please try to keep the profanity in check in posts, signatures, avatars, etc.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 5th, 2016, 6:21 am

SigSauerLover wrote: signature.

Please edit your signature line. It is affecting your entire post history, not just this post.

D-Pad

Postby D-Pad » April 13th, 2016, 9:29 am

So far, this has only happened to me with Atari 2600 games; the most extreme example is probably Space Jockey. I used to play if for hours when I was a kid, nowadays... I even think the Critic's D- rating was too kind to it.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » November 17th, 2016, 8:13 am

Hmmmm, That's a good question. I'd have to say the Sega Genesis version of Faery Tale. Liked it as a kid, but after sitting down and trying to play it again after so long, the game just seems very, very tedious. Everything about it, from the combat to exploring the enviroment around you is just an ordeal and quite frankly, ain't much fun at all.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 17th, 2016, 12:50 pm

DevMac10 wrote:Have you ever played a game and immediately fell in love with it? Spent hours trying to beat it? But years later, you come back and play it and realize that it aged like milk.

For me, that game is Tenchu Stealth Assasins, with it's awfully blocky models and annoyingly clunky controls.

What about yours?

I can second this about Tenchu. My original file has Grand Master on every level, to tell of how much I was into it. I put it into my Playstation about 4-5 months ago and found it practically unplayable. I was able to beat the first few levels, but I got "ninja" (which is a C grade) on everything I tried.

My own entry to this would be the Saturn Shining Force 3. While it is easy to play, (unlike Tenchu) the graphics and the sound really haven't aged well. I actually have a much easier time playing the Genesis versions of those. Of course, not having access to scenario's 2 and 3, since i don't speak/read Japanese, is also a major deterrent to getting back into that series.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » November 17th, 2016, 3:52 pm

Ah you guys. I still love Tenchu. Never really liked the second game though.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » November 17th, 2016, 4:43 pm

Most stuff from the PS1/Saturn/N64 generation.

Specifically:

Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye

I think Goldeneye in particular is pretty putrid to play these days. I like Ocarina of Time, but I don't love it anymore. It's pretty overrated. Mario 64 feels like an ugly, empty, world compared to the beautiful NES/SNES games.

Return to “Classic Gaming”