Top 50 Games Special in the works

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Top 50 Games Special in the works

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2016, 6:12 pm

I was going to save this as a surprise, but maybe you all can help me out. I get asked all the time what the best game is so I'm putting together a "top 50 games" special. Actually I need to qualify that because there is a lot of ways to approach something like this.

Here is what I'm shooting for: If I was marooned on a deserted island with all my systems and some friends, which 50 games would I take with me? The list would represent a cross-section of both systems, generations, and genres.

I'm already 90% done with my selection and ordering, but I'm afraid I might have missed one or two key games, so I'm opening it up to your suggestions. I'm not looking for long lists - just a few entries you'd really, really like to see on this list.

SigSauerLover

Re: Top 50 Games Special in the works

Postby SigSauerLover » April 5th, 2016, 7:20 pm

The irony, as tomorrow on Happy Katana, I'm posting a top 50 games of all time special....

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 5th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Definitely at least 1-2 Sonic games, at least one Tony Hawk game, possibly Chrono Trigger? That's a start.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 5th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Sega CD Snatcher, Genesis Sonic 1& 2, 2600 Warlords. And to me the best game EVER made....PS2's RE4! Plus 2600 Adventure and NES Donkey Kong Classics.

Sut

Postby Sut » April 6th, 2016, 2:33 am

Definitely a Metal Gear Solid game, Streets of Rage 2 and a Shinobi game Sega Rally and Out Run too.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 6th, 2016, 6:26 pm

From the look of your comments, it looks like I'm on the right track! Thanks for the suggestions so far.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 6th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Dare I say, add ActRaiser to the list. :P

But if you're going with a few friends on a deserted island that also happens to have electricity and tvs, well then I'd suggest Halo 2 or Halo: Reach for LAN gaming fun.

Failing that and you can only have one tv at a time I'd suggest either Perfect Dark or Goldeneye for the N64.

I'd suggest Geometry Wars 2 for the Xbox 360 or Crazy Taxi for Dreamcast. There's something about a 'just one more game' vibe that would work well with friends. There's always Tetris or Soul Caliber (DC) as well.

For times when you hate others and want to be by yourself you can't go wrong with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, or Oblivion. The later two games will keep you busy for years.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 7th, 2016, 4:30 am

SilveryFire wrote:Never cared for these "top games of all time" lists. It's just an opinion, not fact. They should be called "my favorite games of all time."

Dave is probably putting together a list of 50 Classics, but a '50 games on a desert island' list should be different from a '50 favorite games' list. If you really were limited to 50 games, every single game needs to provide as much gaming time as possible now. The games we love when we have an hour or two to game are not the ones we might love if we have nothing else to do but drink coconut milk and play video games with our friends.

Things like being 'pick up and play', arcade action, a strong single player campaign, gradual difficulty curves, or intuitive controls are not really assets anymore. Complicated controls, added dimensions from multiple playthroughs, strong multiplayer, strong or adaptive AI, lots of achievements, deep strategy, easter eggs, replayability, randomized elements, strong difficulty curves, etc are now the real assets.

Look outside of video games, and you can see games like poker with its psychology, stakes, randomization and variations, or chess or go with their deep strategies - something that makes them timeless. Are there video games that are like that?

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 7th, 2016, 10:32 am

I would be shocked if A Link To The Past wasn't on your list.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 7th, 2016, 12:05 pm

We should make bets on how many Mario games will be on there. I'll set the over/under at....5.

Curious to see which fighting games make the cut, as well as sports games. I'm imagine those will be more old school.

Return to “Video Games General”