Lemmings

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Lemmings

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 12th, 2016, 5:23 pm

Somebody wrote in to me expressing surprise I haven't reviewed a Lemmings game. I feel like I need to get on the case, but I don't know what system I should seek it out for. Ideas? When it was popular, I vaguely recall playing it on a PC.

Breaker

Re: Lemmings

Postby Breaker » May 12th, 2016, 5:57 pm

I originally played it on the PC, but the Genesis version is excellent.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » May 12th, 2016, 8:34 pm

The SNES version wasn't bad either. I don't think you could go all that wrong with either system (which I'm pretty sure it's blasphemy in certain circles).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 12th, 2016, 9:20 pm

I would expect the SNES version would be better because there are a lot of small objects on the screen and the SNES has a sharper display. Am I right?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 13th, 2016, 1:46 am

I have not played the SNES version, so I can neither confirm nor refute that assumption.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » May 13th, 2016, 1:55 am

I may be wrong, but I feel like Lemmings was better on the Genesis... they had a few sequels on it and it always felt like a Genesis game to me.

Funk

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » May 13th, 2016, 4:51 am

Lemmings is definitely a game that is best with a mouse in my opinion.

I can imagine that the SNES and Mega Drive versions play pretty similarly; it simply comes down to which controller you prefer.

Both versions include near all the original games content. The SNES version apparently adds a few new levels and the Mega Drive version adds a massive amount of new levels. But given the large amount of levels in the base game, this perhaps doesn't amount to much in practice.

Apparently, the much later released PS1 version is the only console version to include the levels from the sort of sequel/mission pack Oh No More Lemmings, but again, more levels doesn't mean much in this case.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 13th, 2016, 2:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I would expect the SNES version would be better because there are a lot of small objects on the screen and the SNES has a sharper display. Am I right?

Yeah but the SNES struggles with more than 3 sprites on screen before getting crippled with slowdown. Unless it has some help from a special cartridge chip and Lemmings can have over 100 sprites on screen.
Lemmings requires blast processing man :twisted:

In all seriousness I believe it's great on all systems, even the Master System version is excellent. Have you got a mouse for the CD-I ? Perhaps that would be the way to go.

Although I can remember the magazines of the day stating the developers had fine tuned the controls to work well enough on the consoles control pads.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » May 15th, 2016, 8:58 am

Believe it or not the Sega Genesis ran at a higher resolution than both SNES and TG-16. The SNES technically had a high rez for still pictures but almost no games used that since any gameplay couldn't run in that mode.

Because of this genesis Lemmings is better than SNES Lemmings.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 22nd, 2016, 1:49 pm

A good point. I loved Lemmings on the PC as a kid. But on the flip-side perspective--it's a classic computer game, but not a classic console game, so it's not a glaring omission from your site. I've never played it on any other platform besides PC. I can't imagine the game being any good without a mouse. You need precision control for the game, so I'd think the best system to review it for would be one with mouse support.

Everyone here is talking SNES and Genesis, but it was ported to soooo many platforms, and I have to imagine that there's a better version than those two. Commodore 64 would really be ideal. But for a strictly console game, I'd put my money on the CD-i being best, or maybe 3DO. But I have nothing to back that up, having played neither.

Return to “Classic Gaming”