2016/5/31: Xbox One: Doom

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2016/5/31: Xbox One: Doom

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2016, 6:42 pm

If I overlook installation headaches just because it's the "new normal", it's like I'm giving my tacit approval. If we as gamers capitulate every time game makers overstep their bounds, nothing will ever change. My reviews are just as much directed to the game makers as the game players. And if a guy named the Video Game Critic can't complain, who can?

scotland

Postby scotland » June 3rd, 2016, 8:04 pm

This site covers both modern and classic games, and that's the difference.

Last month, Dave reviewed games from 10 different systems - the Vita, the TG-16, the 2600, the 3DS, the SG-1000, the PS3, the WiiU, the Genesis, the NES, and the XboxOne. How many other reviewers out there do that?

When you keep reminding yourself that console gaming use to be fun and immediate - pop in a hucard and blaze some lasers - then of course all these headaches of modern gaming are just that - headaches of *modern* gaming.

Just like the pushback Microsoft got from the XboxOne reveal led to them changing, including removing the essential and integral kinect 2, and other changes, if enough reviewers commented on issues - like having to go online to play a single player campaign mode - maybe it would change. Like political systems, gamers get the gaming ecosystem they deserve.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » June 4th, 2016, 9:59 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Red Clash,
Your welcome! It amazes me how other critics fail to mention major issues like online requirements, time consuming installs, and other things that really do affect the customer. Is everybody else in cahoots with the game companies??
VGC

I also second your mentioning these initial start-up issues every time you encounter them. I've been *this* close on more than one occasion to picking up an Xbox One or a PS4, but then I'll read yet another review of how you popped a disk in to play a game and had to wait two hours (or more) hours before you could actually play and I remember why I don't own one yet.

If people are ok with that sort of thing that's fine, but since I rarely have more than an hour here or there to play games at all the idea that I'd find time to game only to spend it watching a download screen just doesn't work for me. I want to fire something up and GO, not fire something up and take a nap.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 5th, 2016, 6:55 am

Its critics voicing these issues that has saved me hundreds of dollars. Its bad enough that every time I turn on my PS3 to watch Netflix that I still have to sit through a lengthy update, but I have no desire to be forced to be online for a game to play, or for my system to even function.

Load times dont really bother me. I mean, I have been dealing with them since the time of Sega CD and early PC CD based games. It is what it is with that, and fter 20+ years I have kind of accepted them for the most part. Though when I see a review that says I should expect a 45 minute initial install followed by an hour of updates, I will most likely avoid that game at all costs.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 5th, 2016, 11:05 am

In the Sega CD/PS1 era the load times were necessitated by the fact that the game was being streamed from the dis. But today, the games are being installed on the hard drive beforehand. One justification of installing is the game should load extremely fast from the hard disc. But with Doom you got the worst of both worlds: hours-long install plus lengthy load times. I think the install would be easier to swallow if the load times were fast (and vice versa).

These issues can be overcome but it requires time and effort by the development team. And why should they bother if most of the customers will happily accept the long waits? The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Gamers need to speak up. Time is not cheap!

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 5th, 2016, 12:35 pm

I speak up with my wallet. :D

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 9th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Install for this game was a whole 20 minutes. Makes me wonder if the Critic is on dial up. I bought this game on the strength of the Critics review.
Let me first give you an idea of what I am like as a Doom fan.
Bought on the SNES when it first came out, also on the Jag, also on the PC, on Fire tv, game stick, Sega Saturn, Playstation, Xbox, 360, GBA. Yeah I love Doom. Initially I was not going to get this because the MP was so awful. It was just Halo with a bit of blood. I mean it was atrocious so bad that H5 seemed good. The Critic changed my mind!!!!
Now for the bad news. I just wasted 45 bucks. I had worked for 12 hours straight. I was in Game and they had it going for 10 unites of monetary value off. Free poster (terrible), booklet (very cool) and two pathetic free patches. Plus some free MP dlc you know colour guns and the like.
Initially the signs were good. Superb graphics. Jaw dropping. Then I stepped foot on Mars. What they terraformed Mars? This really feels like Destiny and when it is not destiny it is Halo. The combat is so underwhelming. As is the game play. Go here get a key. Shoot some really boring guys in demon suits. Get anther key. Jump to another platform. Get a key, repeat.
I got the Chainsaw!! What the chainsaw needs fuel? So instead of being a chainsaw it is now the smart bomb. Got a big enemy? Chainsaw smart bomb it. Some enemies have shields very much Army of two. This just sucks. I mean they are demons where did they get the tech to use them. Has hell got shields are us? Dreadful edition. Run and gun? Now You have to be strategic to deal with these tedious enemies.
So far I have got three FPS in the last 7 months. Halo 5 D, Blops 3 B and Doom. One out three has been got. So far D. If you love Doom buy this one for 10 bux.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 9th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Played it for a couple of hours extra. After getting another 4 hours sleep. I started to enjoy it a lot more. Then I read the critics review. First couple of levels are generic and then it gets going. C plus.. maybe B minus.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » March 11th, 2019, 8:30 am

I just bought a PS4 Pro 1TB last night, along with a copy of DOOM. It may be old news at this point, but just in case anyone cares I was able to play the single-player campaign without an Internet connection or any software updates to the console or the game itself. Not very far in but I'm having a great time.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 13th, 2019, 5:32 pm

velcrozombie wrote:I just bought a PS4 Pro 1TB last night, along with a copy of DOOM. It may be old news at this point, but just in case anyone cares I was able to play the single-player campaign without an Internet connection or any software updates to the console or the game itself. Not very far in but I'm having a great time.

As a new PS4 owner (Not yet a XB1 owner), I was surprised 4 or 5 days ago when my internet was off for about 20 hours, that my PS4 worked fine.

I heard all the doom and gloom here in the years since the PS4/XB1 released, which made it sound like it literally was impossible to play and enjoy this system in an offline environment. But here I was not being punished for not being online, I wasn't being prompted to connect or diagnose my connection at every step of the way to discover why my connection attempt had failed, and so on.

I even installed Atari Flashback Classics Volume 1 during that offline time (Something I've been led to believe around here was basically an impossible task to do offline) and it played fine and the install went smoothly. And while I imagine it's due to being so small, it installed in literally about 5 seconds.

I can't vouch for the XB1 since my time with it has been spent connected to Xbox Live, but I saw no reason after spending several hours offline why a PS4 can't be enjoyed offline. Even when setting it up for the first time a week ago (Which also was very smooth and easy, unlike what I've read here), it gave me the option to setup my wifi connection later.

While I didn't take it up on that option, evidently by offering me that choice, I presume I could've started playing games without ever taking it online once (Which I believe even today, isn't an option on the Microsoft platform).

Return to “Review Feedback”