Video Games as Advertisements

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Luigi & Peach

Video Games as Advertisements

Postby Luigi & Peach » June 13th, 2016, 7:03 pm

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/when-m ... r-nintendo

I loved Cool Spot for the Genesis, but it never left me craving 7-Up. I also owned a McDonald's game called Mick & Mack Global Gladiators which similarly did not leave me with a hankering for Big Macs (I guess in that game's defense it's focus was more on environmentalism a la Captain Planet or Ferngully). I have to wonder if these tactics ever worked. It reminds me of subliminal advertising ( except the exact opposite) in movies. On a side note, I had always wondered what happened to Saturday morning cartoons.

Wallyworld

Re: Video Games as Advertisements

Postby Wallyworld » June 13th, 2016, 10:34 pm

If you like fast food licensed games I have one you might like. McDonald's actually had two games licensed for the Sega Genesis. One was the aforementioned Mick & Mack Global Gladiators and the other was a pretty good game called McDonald's Treasureland Adventure. It was actually the first game developed by the iconic developer Treasure. They developed this just before the legendary game Gunstar Heroes.

I definitely give this game my recommendation and no it did not make me want to buy a Big Mac!

Rev

Postby Rev » June 13th, 2016, 11:45 pm

None of these types of games ever seemed to work however that didn't stop a few of them from actually being good games. Cool Spot and Treasure Land Adventure are both solid games. The only one that makes me think of the food is Pepsi Man for the Ps1... Literally they just shove Pepsi down your throat with that game.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » June 14th, 2016, 5:01 am

Beetle. Adventure. Racing. The N64's finest racer, and the perfect excuse to punch buggy a friend.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 14th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Wasn't there an Avoid the Noid Dominoes pizza game?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 16th, 2016, 12:40 am

Speaking of McDonald's games... I really liked M.C. Kids for the NES as a kid. Not sure how it holds up today, but it was a fun platform game to me at the time. I also liked the Kool Aid Man game for Atari 2600 as a kid, even though I had no clue what to do.

Then you have those 3 Burger King games from 2006. They were sold for $4 each at BK. I bought three copies of each game, and kept 2 sealed sets, feeling really confident that they'd become valuable some day. No such luck; botched that one.

For a more subtle one, how about Skittles? The game was Darkened Skye for Gamecube and PC, released in 2002. Skittles are featured heavily in the game, but you would never realize it by the name and the box art... it looks more like a standard action-RPG at first glance. I bought the game because critics raved about the humor in the game, and funny games were impossible to come by back then. While I've owned it for a long time, I've never actually played it.

One more... Doritos Crash Course is a really fun game to download on Xbox Live, and I think it's free too.

Return to “Classic Gaming”