The Animation Lovers Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Herschie

Re: The Animation Lovers Thread

Postby Herschie » February 23rd, 2016, 6:44 am

I love early animation. Anyone ever see Pixar's "Tin Toy" made back in 1988? Also, head on over to Youtube and search for "1981 graphics". You'll see some interesting stuff. They had this real creepy animated face from like 1974. Really amazing though, considering the year.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 11th, 2016, 1:19 pm

So, I recently (as in a couple months ago) watched Tale Of The Princess Kaguya. Just like every other Ghibli film, this movie is fantastic. Very sad, though. Oh, and I ADORE the art style. Definitely lives up to Studio Ghibli's usual quality.

I finally saw Ghost In The Shell around the same time. I've been wanting to watch it for a while due to its legendary reputation (and as a fan of The Matrix, I wanted to watch it as the Wachowski brothers cite it as a big influence) and it didn't disappoint.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 12th, 2016, 1:37 am

You really can't talk about animation without bringing up Ren and Stimpy. That show redefined cartoony cartoons with seemingly thousands of facial expressions, ink painted backgrounds, and grotesque close ups. The ones Carbunkle Cartoons animated (Sven Hoek, Man's Best Friend, Stimpy's Invention, etc) are especially amazing.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 16th, 2016, 1:56 pm

Ren & Stimpy was also an early example of seeing how much a kids show can get away with, along with shows like Rocko's Modern Life and Animaniacs. Since then, shows like SpongeBob and Regular Show have carried that torch admirably. Hell, you could even argue that it was a precursor to adult cartoons like South Park and Family Guy. Whatever your opinion on the show, you can't deny its legacy or influence.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » April 16th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Gravity Falls was actually decent, after seeing a few bits and pieces. I'm also glad to hear it wasn't stretched past a certain point, pretty much two seasons and a season-long series finale. Samurai Jack could have had a better deal if it went like this.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 19th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Yeah, Gravity Falls is a really good show. I actually only gave it a chance due to having a similar art style to Regular Show, which is one of my favorite modern cartoons.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 18th, 2016, 10:36 pm

I recently got back into Anime thanks to this great Anime franchise known as Macross. In which some of you people on this forum may know it as Robotech.

As for the Macross franchise, I have an interesting history with this series, my first exposure to this franchises was it Americanized edited adaptation of the series under the name Robotech. I watched the first 12 episodes of that version and was not thrilled with it because something was not right with it being Americanized/Censored/Edited and dumb down for kids, in which that version of the series was when I watched it at my local library with it being based on the original US broadcast version from 1985.

My later exposure under its original name Macross, started with Macross Plus, which I did enjoy both the OVA and Movie editions and rented it from the local library. I did like it at the time period, even though it did not make me a fan of the franchise until I watched the original 1982 series.

I would say that in the past few years from 2013 to 2015, I was mostly loosing interest into Anime. I did not enjoy a lot of stuff that was said to be great by critics and fans. So I gave up on it for a while.

But after watching two of the most recent Studio Ghibli movies, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and When Marnie Was There. I was starting to get my love back for Anime slowly but surely. I also had a friend of mind that was into its Robotech counterpart and gave him links to watch the original uncut version of Macross online, along with the many other Macross Anime series that were worth watching.

I later gave the original 1982 series a chance and got hooked on it, and watched it from beginning to end and enjoyed most of this great Anime series, and made me not only a Macross fan, but also love Anime again. I even went to re-watch Macross Plus via Library rental and enjoyed it, but not as much as the original series.

What are your guys experience with this franchise, and give your thought on it right here.

It would also be nice to recommend me installments with this series, and even tell me which Macross Video Games I should check out?

Retrology

Postby Retrology » June 29th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Bringing up Ren and Stimpy again. I think what was really innovative about it was the fact that they used no character models, meaning every episode started with a different animation model for a character. That's incredible when you consider LOONEY TUNES never used this! Hell, I think Ren and Stimpy might be one of the few in history to do this.

Another innovation was the use of color palette for darker (nighttime) colors. Take for example the now famous bed scene from Stimpy's Fan Club, where Ren goes insane and murderous over the popularity of his best friend. The darker colors look richer and actually semi realistic.

And looking back, the animation quality from Batman TAS was (and is) nuts. No other cartoon from that time looks as visually stunning, it along with Ren and Stimpy raised the bar in TV animation.

I'm also a big Regular Show fan. Love the style of animation and characters.
Attachments
imgres-4.jpg
imgres-4.jpg (3.99 KiB) Viewed 3276 times

scotland

Postby scotland » August 31st, 2016, 1:07 pm

http://www.kotaku.com/how-wesrern-animation-has-changed-1785985948

Has an image showing how western animation has, more or less, glided from a Hanna Barbara house style in the 70s, to a more realistic 80s, to more stylized 90s to a much simpler character designs of today.

I don't know how much I go along with it, but certainly some style conventions do evolve in our cartoons.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » January 9th, 2018, 4:18 pm

https://www.avclub.com/studio-ghibli-is ... 1820930164

Old news, but Hayao Miyazaki is coming out of retirement yet again to direct a film for Studio Ghibli titled "How Do You Live?" I'm really excited, because Miyazaki is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, and the general consensus was that Studio Ghibli was closing after Miyazaki and Isao Takahata retired, so I am happy that's not the case. This is supposedly his last film, but how many times has Miyazaki retired and then unretired?

Speaking of Studio Ghibli, a bunch of Ghibli veterans started an animation studio called Studio Ponoc in 2015, and their first movie, Mary And The Witch's flower, came out in 2017. I have yet to see it, but I heard it's really good. Any of you see this? I'd like to watch it, so if I see it in a store somewhere, I'm definitely picking it up.

Return to “Other Media”