Two New Sonic games for 2017!

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Two New Sonic games for 2017!

Postby Sonicx9 » July 23rd, 2016, 2:33 am

Sonic Mania for PC, PS4/Neo, Xbox One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmtYdEWVzo

Project Sonic 2017 aka Sonic Generations 2 for PC, PS4/Neo, Xbox One/Scorpio, Nintendo NX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk

Both games look promising, and best of all, they are true Next-Gen games from the start! Take that to the companies that need to stop down-porting their PC/PS4/Xbox One/Wii U games to the PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS. (I am looking at you Telltale Games, and some of the Indie/Japanese companies that need to give up the ghost that have not yet.) Because the two Sonic Games care about their true artistic vision because of only coming out on the higher standard systems from the start.

scotland

Re: Two New Sonic games for 2017!

Postby scotland » July 23rd, 2016, 6:13 am

Sonic Mania looks fun, but its literally remasters. Remastering old games is not next gen. Its just porting with polish.

Project Sonic is all dark and edgy Sonic, if you like that sort of thing. It showed no gameplay, only the bleak tone. What good are 4k resolution and massive framerate in a grey and black low contrast limited palette apocalyptic industrial wasteland where nothing but the cartoony player characters were even moving? What a waste of specs. Want to impress with specs, give us color, sound, movement everywhere and realism. The mid gen tech boost is looking to VR levels of pushing specs, not some game so dark you might be eaten by a grue.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » July 23rd, 2016, 11:07 am

scotland wrote:Sonic Mania looks fun, but its literally remasters. Remastering old games is not next gen. Its just porting with polish.

No it's not. Some of the levels are remixes of old levels but there are brand new levels. A remaster would be if it's just an old game with some updated graphics and gameplay.

Still, I agree with you that I don't see anything about this game that makes it unable to be on PS3 or XBox One. It looks like it could have been handled by the Sega Saturn. Which is fine by me. It looks awesome. But I don't know why anyone would be upset if they ported it to other systems.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 27th, 2016, 3:10 pm

I'm excited by Sonic Mania, but I'm worried it will be too much like Sonic CD - aka a confusing (but good looking and sounding) mess of a game. Can't say anything about Sonic 2017 since there are only cutscenes in the trailer...

NAC2

Postby NAC2 » July 29th, 2016, 4:31 pm

I'm also very excited about Sonic Mania. The physics look spot on (unlike in Sonic 4: Episode 1), and the level design looks great.

Here is some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1nQxH3kugg Studiopolis looks like a very fun stage.

As for Sonic 2017, I can't say much due to a lack of gameplay. However, I am perfectly fine with a darker toned Sonic as long as the gameplay is good.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 29th, 2016, 6:03 pm

Sonic Mania looks awesome... Due to the graphics and stuff I wonder if it will be download only... Hopefully it gets a physical release and isn't plagued with all the issues that recent Sonic games have suffered. Looks fun.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 12th, 2016, 11:44 am

History has taught me not to get too excited by upcoming Sonic games, even if they look good initially...

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » August 12th, 2016, 4:41 pm

Yeah, Sonic Mania is not a remaster. Think of it as the Mega Man 9 or 10 of Sonic. I am hyped af for this game. Now if only Ninty would create a 2D Metroid with Zero Mission graphics.

Oh, and if Sonic Project 2017 really is a sequel to Generations, a game I absolutely adored, then I'm on board.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 14th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:History has taught me not to get too excited by upcoming Sonic games, even if they look good initially...

Yes I would have to agree. I think Sonic Mania shows enough gameplay that the game can cause me to be hopefully optimistic but we'll see. Only two levels have been shown thus far so anything could happen...

Return to “Video Games General”