My wife is the best cook...

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Herschie

My wife is the best cook...

Postby Herschie » July 28th, 2016, 12:33 am

I love my wife so much. No, not because of her cooking. I actually fell in love with her long before I knew what a gourmet chef she is. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that she's half Latina/half white. More culinary diversity. Her mother is from Honduras, and her father is from Croatia. She learned a lot of cooking from her mother, who would always cook for her father when he was around (He passed away four years ago).

My wife will add ingredients that I would have never thought in a million years to add. She makes this lasagna that has a little bit of a spicy bite to it. Not enough to have me on the toilet in agony, but a pleasant zing to it. And get this, she adds a can of peas to her lasagna. Who the hell does that? But I tell you what, it really gives it a nice pleasant green taste to it, and helps to offset the acidity of the tomatoes, and the overall spiciness of the dish. She learned it from her mother.

Now she's cooking healthy. She used to make picadillo with ground beef, Mexican spices, diced potatoes, and peppers. Now she uses ground turkey and sweet potatoes. Guess what? Still terrific, but a bit healthier. She now pickles onions and puts them on the tacos, and words can't describe how great that tastes. A little queso fresco on there, and wa-la! Sometimes she'll put cilantro and onion, although she does that more with chicken tacos.

I never liked ground turkey, my mother would always make it a bit rubbery, but my wife can pull it off. Her turkey burgers are out of this world. She makes this sauce that consists of ketchup, mayonnaise, and Sriracha. But that's not what makes them so good. The way she cooks them has more to do with it, and how she knows what balance of spinach, onion, and provolone. Oh, and she made these lamb burgers today, holy COW! Amazing!

I had to write this because I can't even remember how many times I was in awe with how ungodly delicious her cooking is. Oh, and she can bake, too. Her raspberry creme or key-lime cupcakes are something you have to taste to believe. She can't just make me a simple sandwich, everything has to be something worthy to be seen on the Food Network. But trust me, I'm not complaining one bit!

My mother once asked me who the better cook is. She took it well when I was completely honest with her. But my wife isn't the best cook I ever met, that would be her mother. Who seems to know that I like to eat.

Shapur

Re: My wife is the best cook...

Postby Shapur » July 28th, 2016, 7:25 pm

Ahh you lucky dog. Now I'm getting hungry. Unfortunately MY wife can make all of about two dishes :lol:

matmico399

Re: My wife is the best cook...

Postby matmico399 » July 28th, 2016, 10:30 pm

From my experience people with Latino heritage make the best food ever! I've had many friends with that background. But the one I remember the most was a Cuban family when I was growing up. That Grandmother then made the tastiest food I had ever had in my life! I used to look forward to seeing them to spend time, but mostly to see what the grandmother was making. You are a lucky man!

Return to “Other Media”