The Best Console.

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

The Best Console.

Postby matmico399 » August 16th, 2016, 10:45 pm

I am looking at the consoles I own....
Oddysey 2
Nes
Genesis
Snes
Sega CD
Saturn
N64
Dreamcast
PS2
GameCube

I've measured all the intangibles and games. Of all these I have, I have to say the PS2 is the best console ever up to now! Backwards compatibility with PS1 games, I sold my PS1, what's the point of keeping a PS1? I did keep a ps1 memory card to save those games though. The 260O is great for a few top tier titles like Adventure and Warlords. The O2 is a niche system. But to me for fun the only systems that come close are the Genesis and 360. The PS2 in which you can play both ps1 and ps2 games is simply unbeatable. Thousands of titles of every genre. Just an amazing system with fantastic third party support. And still so many of the good titles are cheap. Best Console Ever!

Shapur

Re: The Best Console.

Postby Shapur » August 17th, 2016, 2:02 am

But if you're counting backwards compatibility, then nothing can beat the PS3. My 20GB PS3 can play (nearly)all PS1, PS2 AND PS3 games.

JWK

Postby JWK » August 17th, 2016, 6:47 am

I'd say your pick for GOAT is a strong one. I love that system's library, the highlight being the JRPGs (Final Fantasy, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga, Atelier Iris, Kingdom Hearts and the strongest lineup of Shin Megami Tensei games ever) and the "mascot" platformers/action games (Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank).

I'm looking at the systems you own and-- in my humble opinion-- you have a fairly glaring omission: the PS3. I wouldn't let the system's first 2 mediocre years scare you away from ownership. The output between 2009 and 2013 was absolute gold and it easily outshined the offerings from the Wii and, yes, the 360. It's exclusives are some of the best games of the entire 7th generation: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Demon's Souls, Dragon's Crown, God of War 3 & Ascension, Infamous series, Killzone Series, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ni No Kuni, Ratchet and Clank Future series, Resistance series, Tales Of series, Uncharted series, Yakuza series and my pick for game of the Generation, The Last of Us.

Getting into the PS3 should be easier and cheaper now than it's ever going to be on both the hardware and software fronts, so I suggest you jump in if you're interested. I obviously hold a pretty big torch for this highly under appreciated system and library, but I'm just amazed at how few gamers (in North America, at least) didn't own this thing.

Oh, and speaking of the 7th generation, I also love (and suggest) the Wii. It's not all waggle games and shovel ware. Great first party games from Nintendo and a TON of hidden gems. And this is coming from someone who hates motion controls in general.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 17th, 2016, 8:17 am

The ps2 seemed to be quite the workhorse. I've heard about the original model being really durable. I've had the slim model since around 2008, and no problems.

So many games to play, with ps2 and ps1. The one thing, just from a collecting standpoint, is that if there was a third party game released for GC, Ps2, and xbox, it's usually cheapest on ps2 because there were so many games on it. xbox and GC games seem less popular.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 17th, 2016, 10:23 am

Shapur wrote:But if you're counting backwards compatibility, then nothing can beat the PS3. My 20GB PS3 can play (nearly)all PS1, PS2 AND PS3 games.

Yeah, thats a sticky wicket. Backwards compatibility is a feature, but if you include it, then what about emulation capable machines like the Dreamcast or Xbox, or even handhelds like the Dingoo or the android handhelds of today. Add in virtual consoles, or how the XB1 is doing backwards compatibility piecemeal, or the growing availability of cheap flashcarts for many systems, especially the Genesis, etc.

Right now, I am trying to find the fun in every device. For instance, I grew up with a little antipathy to the Intellivision. I was very keen on Mattel products, but the only intellivision in the neighborhood was owned by a kid who just liked to clean our clocks in Football. Now, I am going back, at my own pace, and trying to enjoy the library. I would like to emulate the Speccy and learn there too. Best, for me, is too hard to pin down. It might be whatever console I am enjoying this week or this month.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » August 17th, 2016, 11:02 am

The fanboy in me wants to say the Super Nintendo was the greatest system of all time, I have to agree with the Playstation 2 though. It had a lot of great exclusives and trumps the ps1 due to developers finally getting 3d consistently correct (for the most part). Most of the great games on the other consoles of the time also had a PS2 version. However, not sure if it was just the time period or what but the system I enjoyed the most was the dreamcast. I wasn't much of a Sega fan before and I'm not much of one now but that little machine gave me hours of enjoyment. We will see what the future holds but for me I have to say that the 3DS has become one of my favorite systems. If they could fill a few more genres up with solid entries (more 3d platformers and FPS's) then it will definitely go down as one of the greatest in my opinion.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 17th, 2016, 2:20 pm

The PS2 is simply unbeatable. NES and SNES come closely behind--perhaps followed by PS1.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 17th, 2016, 3:37 pm

At first I was going to say my favorite (Genesis) but then I had to think about the BEST console. The Playstation 2. It's massive library, critically acclaimed staples, and insane coverage of all genres make it the best system ever made hands DOWN.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 17th, 2016, 6:11 pm

I have to admit I never seriously looked at the PS3 as much as I luved the PS2. I just heard so many negative things about it after the first year or so. But some of you have convinced me to look at it again. I didn't realize there were that many great exclusives. Hard Rain is one I always hear about. The 8th gen I am just not interested in now. I actually bought a used XBox One from GameStop but returned it after about four days later. Couldn't take all the download garbage. When a used PS4 comes down to the price of an XBox One I will prob get it. My nephew says it's a lot better in terms of downloading than The One. Sorry, off topic. But until I play the PS3 I stand by my choice as the best ever console.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 17th, 2016, 7:02 pm

I'd have to go with the majority, the best console of all time is probably the PS2. Biggest library of games, a long shelf life, covers all types of games across all genres. My personal favorite would probably be the SNES, followed by the DC though.

Return to “Video Games General”