Abzu and middle-tier games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Abzu and middle-tier games

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 17th, 2016, 5:10 pm

I was kind of interested in a new PS4 game called Abzu that lets you explore underwater. Then I found out it was a download only title which bummed me out.

I got to thinking, it seems like today's games fall into two categories: $60 "epic" titles like Call of Duty and Madden (snore), and download-only titles under $20. The downloads tend to be more experimental and interesting, although the quality varies.

Why don't they sell the best download games on disc for the $20-$40 price range? It doesn't seem like it should be so hard. Or do the major companies like EA also have a monopoly of the mass production and distribution system??

Kevin

Re: Abzu and middle-tier games

Postby Kevin » August 17th, 2016, 8:06 pm

I haven't had much time to play too many games this generation. I've stuck mainly to my 3ds. With the NX due to come out in a year or so this will be the first time I'll have skipped out on a home console from Nintendo. I have noticed a few games that are successful getting retail versions. Azure Striker and it's sequel are coming to cartridge. Shantae for 3ds is getting a physical release and Shovel Knight is available on cartridge. I wish more companies could do this, even as a compilation for a few of the shorter games so that more people would play them. I have a few friends that refuse to buy anything but physical copies of games.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 17th, 2016, 8:08 pm

They are actually selling lots of download games on disk now. Those $20-$30 priced games you see at Target were all originally download only games.

Checkout the following:

Life is Strange, Back to the Future, Shovel Knight, Awesomenauts Assemble, The Walking Dead Season 2, The Wolfe Among Us, Runbow Deluxe Edition, The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, and all of the Shantea Half Genie hero games.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 19th, 2016, 12:00 pm

Limited Run games has Shadow Complex up for the PS4 this morning.

https://www.limitedrungames.com/

Get it while you can... :)

Return to “Video Games General”