not well known 2d platformers on nintendo handhelds

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

not well known 2d platformers on nintendo handhelds

Postby CharlieR » September 16th, 2016, 9:21 am

I guess the title is a little wordy, but I'm looking for the 2d sidescrolling platform games that no one really talks about. I just randomly searched "hulk" and found out that the critic review the hulk on Nintendo DS, which looks right up my alley. I'm also looking at tarzan: return to the jungle for GBA. The point is, these games will probably not even show up on a "best underrated platformers list."

Lokking for ones that no one would really think of. To be honest, Lilo and Stitch for GBA kinda looks like that kind of platformer. Stuff like that. Thanks.

Sut

Re: not well known 2d platformers on nintendo handhelds

Postby Sut » September 16th, 2016, 3:51 pm

I think Batman (the first game) on the original Game Boy is an absolutely fantastic platform shooter. Recently been replaying this gem and really getting back into it.
I been resisting this game on and off for getting on 20 years.

JWK

Postby JWK » September 17th, 2016, 10:31 am

Drill Dozer for GBA is absolutely fantastic. One of the most underrated games on the platform.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » September 17th, 2016, 9:24 pm

Ninja Five-O on Game Boy Advance is clearly a homage to Shinobi and Bionic Commando and it's a gem of a game that not many people know about.

On a related note, Hardcore Gaming 101 is one of my favorite sites in regards to covering underrated games.

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » September 18th, 2016, 10:16 am

I'm not show HOW unknown this might be, but I remember a gameboy game called Kid Dracula that's really fun. It's a bit expensive on Ebay, but if you're looking for obscure 2d platformers, then I'd recommend it. The Gameboy versions of Bonk are really good too.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 19th, 2016, 8:38 am

Thanks guys. I've heard of ninja five-o, and yes, it is expensive.

Here's a great example: I went to game craze looking for GBA games (overstock games are buy one, get TWO free, though they jack up the price. A loose Tony Hawk 4 for GBA goes for around 3 bucks according to video game price charts. It was $9.99, but you get two free games with it. I guess buy one, get two free isn't as good as it sounds) and one of the games I got was Frogger advance: the great quest. I know what you're thinking, frogger is about jumping on lilypads and crossing the road without getting hit. Well, this game is a 2d (2.5d I guess) platformer, which is a nice surprise. Did not know that, but that worked out for me. Still uses a password, which is weird.

See what I mean though? I never would have known about that game.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » September 20th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Shinobi (3DS). I'm actually surprised not many people have played, and I'm surprised that the critic, a Shinobi fan, hasn't reviewed it!

This game is fun, and it is also brutally difficult, the kind of difficult that frustrates you but also keeps you coming back for more punishment. The action and variety are fun, and the scenery is very cool too.

You hearing me, critic? I think this is a hidden gem in the 3DS library, one I'd recommend playing as soon as you get it.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 5th, 2016, 5:53 pm

SegaRiddle1990 wrote:I'm not show HOW unknown this might be, but I remember a gameboy game called Kid Dracula that's really fun. It's a bit expensive on Ebay, but if you're looking for obscure 2d platformers, then I'd recommend it. The Gameboy versions of Bonk are really good too.

Mike from AVGN did a multi part long play of that game a few months back. It looks like a good game.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 8th, 2016, 2:15 am

CharlieR wrote:Well, this game is a 2d (2.5d I guess) platformer

It's 2D. Sprites and tiles rendered from 3D models are not 3d models.

To actually contribute something to the thread, Gargoyle's Quest, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, and Trip World are some of the best games on the original Game Boy. I guess the second isn't all that obscure, given its connection to the popular NES game, and the third has developed a substantial cult following over the years (along with its NES counterpart, Gimmick!), but we still aren't exactly talking Super Mario Land recognition here.

Return to “Video Games General”