Where are all the racing games?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
snakeboy

Where are all the racing games?

Postby snakeboy » October 3rd, 2016, 10:41 pm

Is it just me, or are the pickings pretty slim when it comes to racing games this generation? Having just gotten a PS4, and being a pretty big fan of racers, I was excited to see what was available, but I don't think I found a single game that looked interesting. No Burnout. No Motorstorm. No Ridge Racer. No Gran Turismo. I see only one Need for Speed game simply titled "Need for Speed", which seems to suggest that they've stopped trying.

Am I missing something here? Is there anything good out there?

I don't know, maybe it's a good thing that the big name games are taking some time off since they all seemed to be morphing into the same open-world style racer anyway.

BlasteroidAli

Re: Where are all the racing games?

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 4th, 2016, 7:36 pm

You got the wrong system...
Forza 5 and 6 on the 1
Forza Horizon 2 and 3 on the 1...
all incredible games...
Plus loads of rally games...
Though seriously there is not that much out full stop this gen. I was like that is why things are being put out that are backwards compatible.
Just played THQs MXvs ATV on the 1 and have to say it is okay for a free game.

Good luck on the need for speed games. They have been just plain awful this gen. The reason for no new burnout is EA. They bought Criterion then killed the game series. Think after burnout paradise they worked on one the need for speed games and they have not been heard of since.
Also Psynosis aka Sony Liverpool Europe was disbanded by sony. They made sony's formula one games and the Wipeout series. So that means a lot less games from Sony. Not sure why there has been no gran turismo.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 7th, 2016, 3:01 pm

There are in fact quite a few good racers this generation, although the arcade racer is sadly not in great shape today.

Here's a retail roundup, of which I've all played to a varying degrees except for Need for Speed: Rivals.

XB1/PS4 Multiplatform Simulations
-Assetto Corsa (Developer - Kunos Simulazioni; Genre - Road; Quality - Excellent)
-Dirt Rally (Developer - Codemasters; Genre - Rally; Quality - Excellent)
-Project Cars (Developer - Slightly Mad Studios; Genre - Road; Quality - Good)

XB1/PS4 Multiplatform Simcades (Blend of arcade and realism for the sake of greater accessibility)
-F1 2015 (Developer - Codemasters; Genre - F1; Quality - Good)
-F1 2016 (Developer - Codemasters; Genre - F1; Quality - Excellent)
-NASCAR Heat Evolution (Developer - Monster Games; Genre - NASCAR; Quality - Average)
-Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo (Developer - Milestone; Genre - Rally; Quality - Good)
-WRC 5 (Developer - Kylotonn; Genre - Rally; Quality - Good)
-WRC 6 (Developer - Kylotonn; Genre - Rally; Quality - Good)

XB1/PS4 Multiplatform Open World Arcade Racers
-Need for Speed (Developer - Ghost Games; Quality - Very Good; Warning - Always Online Mandate)
-The Crew (Developer - Ivory Tower; Quality - Very Good; Warning - Always Online Mandate)

XB1/PS4 Multiplatform Arcade Racers
-Need for Speed Rivals (Developer - Ghost Games; Quality - See Critic's review)
-Trackmania Turbo (Developer - Nadeo; Quality - Very Good)

Xbox One Exclusives
-Forza 5 (Developer - Turn 10; Genre - Circuit Based Simcade; Quality - Average)
-Forza 6 (Developer - Turn 10; Genre - Circuit Based Simcade; Quality - Very Good)
-Forza Horizon 2 (Developer - Playground; Genre - Open World Arcade; Quality - Excellent)
-Forza Horizon 3 (Developer - Playground; Genre - Open World Arcade; Quality - Excellent)

Playstation 4 Exclusives
-Driveclub (Developer - Evolution Studios; Genre - Arcade; Quality - Excellent)

Nintendo Switch Exclusives
-Fast RMX (Developer - Shin'en Multimedia; Genre - Arcade/Futuristic; Quality - Excellent)

And we have games in development now for 2017. Here's a partial list of confirmed or likely additions, of which all are multiplatform except for those noted.

-80's Overdrive - (3DS; Interesting looking retro inspired arcade racer.)
-90's Arcade Racer - (Never say never...)
-Dirt 4
-F1 2017
-Flatout 4
-Formula Fusion - (Futuristic arcade racer.)
-Forza 7 - (XB1)
-Gran Turismo Sport - (PS4)
-Gravel
-Horizon Chase - (PS4; Highly acclaimed retro styled mobile release that I'm eagerly anticipating.)
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - (Switch)
-NASCAR Heat Evolution 2
-Project Cars 2
-Redout - (Promising looking F-Zero/Wipeout style futuristic arcade racer.)
-Wipeout: Omega Collection - (PS4; Remastered compilation of Wipeout HD and Wipeout 2048.)

And there are bike racers as well, but I'm not the one to ask about those. I largely only go for classic arcade style racers like Super Hang-On and Super Burnout.
Last edited by Atariboy on March 20th, 2017, 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

zetax

Postby zetax » October 9th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Haven't seen any mention of the Trackmania games for PS4 and Xbox One. I've got it for Xbone (as well as the earlier Wii game, b/c on Wii U), and I think they're dang fun. Short, arcadey races, all essentially time trials. Definite ”one more time” feeling with the races, trying to beat your best time and seeing how you stack-up against folks in your state, country, and the world.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 9th, 2016, 11:59 pm

Since judging by the post above it was obvious that nobody was going to ever read my massive post, I've now edited it down and put it into a much more readable format.

Give it a 2nd look...

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » October 10th, 2016, 10:50 am

Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like there is more out there than I thought, just not many of the purely arcade racers that I normally like. If EA has really killed off Burnout, then that's a shame. One more reason to hate 'em, I guess.

I actually did see that there was a Trackmania game out for the PS4. I'll probably get that one since I own and enjoy the one for the Wii. I'll have to check out Driveclub, too.

I'm sure that I will end up getting the new Gran Turismo too since I have all the other ones. I just wish there more arcade racers out there, is that so wrong?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 30th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Atariboy wrote:And we have games in development now for 2017. Here's a partial list of confirmed or likely additions

-TOCA/Grid Sequel from Codemasters

With the announcement of Dirt 4 for later this year, my guess was wrong on this one.

Given that their hardcore rally simulator spin off titled Dirt Rally is only a year old or so, I figured that they'd revive their other big racing franchise first before revisiting the mainstream Dirt series with the inevitable Dirt 4.

Looks good so far with perhaps the first good implementation of procedurally generated tracks, sim and arcade handling models, and the disappearance of the extreme sports nonsense that plagued Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 in favor of proper racing disciplines exclusively.

Codemasters desperately tried to broaden their appeal for a few years there. But they've thankfully realized that not only was it not attracting the masses with the inclusion of stuff like gymkhana and annoying race announcers, it was actually alienating their core fanbase that grew up with stuff like TOCA and the Colin McRae Rally series and just wanted to race.

Return to “Modern Gaming”