2016/9/16: Turbografx-16: Monster Lair (CD), Genji Tsushin Agedama (Japan), Order of the Griffon

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sonicx9

Re: 2016/9/16: Turbografx-16: Monster Lair (CD), Genji Tsushin Agedama (Japan), Order of the Griffon

Postby Sonicx9 » September 20th, 2016, 4:12 pm

Fun fact critic related with Genji Tsushin Agedama, it was originally based on an obscure Anime series of the same name.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genji_Ts% ... in_Agedama The reason why people do not know this is because the Anime was only released in Japan with no non-Japanese versions.

And a fun fact related with Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, its Japanese version was based on an obscure Anime under the name Mashin Hero Wataru.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashin_Hero_Wataru

And did you know that they are many Anime license games for the PC Engine in Japan, but they where only released in Japan because of how unpopular the American Turbografx-16 counterpart was in comparison/Anime being a very small market during the time period.

And it worth mentioning that the part of your Darkwing Duck review about license games on the Turbografx-16 is not 100% true, because if you do look at the PC Engine library in Japan. Their is a good share of Anime license games for the console itself.

djc

Re: 2016/9/16: Turbografx-16: Monster Lair (CD), Genji Tsushin Agedama (Japan), Order of the Griffon

Postby djc » October 4th, 2016, 3:33 pm

If you are going to start reviewing more PC-Engine titles, you should really do some of the Sega arcade conversions. You already did Outrun but there are fantastic versions of After Burner II, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, etc... These are arguably closer to their arcade counterparts due in part to the fact that the TG-16/PC-Engine has better scaling support than the Genesis.

Also - make sure Street Fighter II CE is on your PC-Engine review list as it is a showcase title for the system and really demonstrates that with proper support, it could've been on equal footing with the Genesis and SNES.

Regarding the Super-Grafx, from my understanding - it is similar to the PC-Engine (will place HU Cards) but with updated hardware so the newer titles could benefit from graphical improvements (more parallax scrolling, etc...). But like you said - it's pretty pricey and only six games were made for it.

-DJ

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 6th, 2016, 1:41 am

matmico399 wrote:I won't go near this console as getting it and collecting for it would make me go bankrupt. But I still enjoy reading the reviews.

A good bit of it can be found on digital download services for modern consoles if you're not adverse to digital distribution.

In fact if you own a PS3, just by creating a Japanese account and ordering a points card from PlayAsia, you can even download several Supergrafx titles on your region free system like the well liked Ghouls 'n Ghosts port and Aldynes. Someday I'll hopefully own a TG16 (And an Everdrive since I'm not wealthy), but between PSN and the Wii Virtual Console, I've enjoyed a good taste of most of what interests me thanks to these.

Of course if you have a emulation setup for your gaming tv or don't mind playing classic console games at your computer (Something that I've never gotten into), there are free options that are likely superior. But I enjoy the ease and official nature of Virtual Console downloads and the like, and a few games at $5-6 a pop aren't going to break the bank.

In fact off the top of my head, the only game that caught my eye that I haven't been able to purchase is the well done Outrun port. I'm sure that many good games didn't make it out, but the coverage is pretty decent and seems to include most of the highlights from the Critic's review page.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 7th, 2016, 9:32 pm

I'm interesting in reviewing Supergrafx games but the console price is too steep, so I think I'll wait for the region-free Retro Freak console, due out early next year.

http://www.play-asia.com/retro-freak/13/70ahhx

Return to “Review Feedback”