Best N64 games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Re: Best N64 games?

Postby matmico399 » September 15th, 2016, 3:50 pm

I agree with justlike. Of my consoles the one I play the least is the N64. I purchased it as I had fond memories of Goldeneye in my early 20's. A few years back. I don't think I've turned it on in 6 months. And I only have 3 games for it , Goldeneye, and Star Wars Rogue Sqadron and Star Wars Shadows of The Empire. GE isn't as fun as I remember. My 64 basically just collects dust. Not many games for the console interest me, with a few exceptions. Hell I used to never play my Saturn, but now I am realizing what a good console that is.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » September 16th, 2016, 12:30 pm

Mario Tennis is a good one (and I'll bet it's held up fairly well). This was my first true experience with the series if you don't count the Game Boy. But the far and away best iteration has got to be Mario Tennis: Power Tour for GBA. The entire game centers around this High School-esque RPG style training camp with an assortment of characters, unique personalities and play styles. It's a real gem that mostly got overlooked as most people didn't realize how much depth they packed into this one. The training and the mini-games all help with leveling-up certain skills as you and your partner have to work your way through the hierarchy.

jon

Postby jon » September 16th, 2016, 11:17 pm

I have to admit I'm a little perplexed by so many members of this forum not enjoying Goldeneye like they did back in the day. I enjoy it as much if not even more. The level design is unbelievable, especially the underground facilities, some of the best I've ever seen. The firepower you unleash feels awesome, especially as you mow down endless enemies. And it had a great diversity in environments. Lastly, it stayed incredibly faithful to the movie, it had a James Bond vibe. To me, that's incredibly important, maybe the most important part in that it conveyed the atmosphere of the movie. These are things that, I mean at the end of the day its based on a movie, and it did a great job. That's got to be significant.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 7th, 2016, 6:21 pm

In terms of pure design, Super Mario 64 is probably my favorite game of all time (there are others that I like equally or more, but for reasons like their writing or environments). Few games are so gleefully packed with such diverse things to do and discover, or have so many random little secrets and subtleties. And it's unbelievable that they managed to get the controls so right in one try. What a game.

F-Zero X and Wipeout 64 were released in the same year and are both excellent. F-Zero X pales somewhat next to its GameCube sequel, but it's still worth owning in its own right. Wipeout 64 is my second-favorite in the series after Wipeout HD; it's faster than any of the PlayStation games and has better opponents, although the music is pretty weak in comparison.

Another great racing game is 1080° Snowboarding, which I don't really have much to say about except that it's great. It's great!

Kirby 64 is pretty underrated. It's very easy, being a Kirby game, but playing around with the different power combinations is unreasonably fun, the environments have a ton of atmosphere, and the music is brilliant (it even got a CD release). It also has a kickass multiplayer minigame that single-handedly justifies having a copy to play with friends.

Two that I haven't played myself but am intrigued by are Jet Force Gemini and Space Station Silicon Valley. I should give them a go when I can.

And of course, the obvious picks that have already been mentioned, like Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, etc. I'm happy to see that people haven't been mentioning Banjo-Kazooie, which is what Super Mario 64 would be if you replaced everything interesting about it with soul-draining trinket collection.

And once you've played through all the good stuff, pick up a cheap copy of Superman 64, just so you can say that you actually have it.
Last edited by Stalvern on October 8th, 2016, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 7th, 2016, 7:25 pm

That's true. The folks behind Mario 64 had to basically reinvent how those games were playing. From just running to an end of a level to chasing stars. The fact that they did that so creatively AND got the controls right is super impressive

Retrology

Postby Retrology » October 7th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Yeah, played Super Mario 64 recently, and it's held up. Control scheme is excellent, and I love the secrets (found out all of them thanks to a strategy guide I had as a kid).

Retrology

Postby Retrology » October 7th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Stalvern wrote:
One that I haven't played myself but am intrigued by is Jet Force Gemini. I should give it a go when I can.

If you dig sci fi shooting, mind blowing secrets, and a difficulty curve that will punish you but keep you coming back, this game is for you. It's honestly a gem for the N64, and I keep coming back to it from time to time.

Also, do me a favor and check out the soundtrack. The music in JFG is unreal. It's probably the best soundtrack on the N64, it's in its own league.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » January 15th, 2017, 9:18 am

I had an N64 back in the day. I made the classic choice of trading it off to get into the Sega Dreamcast when it came out. Now many years later I picked up another N64 and some games to play with my son.

Some of the current favorites include:

WCW / NWO Revenge
Donkey Kong 64
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros.
Diddy Kong Racing
Rampage World Tour

It's worth mentioning that the kid LOVES the Castlevania games on the 64. I can't stand them personally but hey..somebody has to like them right?

Return to “Classic Gaming”