Nintendo NX Update

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
CharlieR

Re: Nintendo NX Update

Postby CharlieR » October 20th, 2016, 11:10 am

looks really cool, but something stood out to me: Those controllers look tiny! pause the trailer at 1:42 when the guys are playing Mario kart in the van.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » October 20th, 2016, 11:49 am

Rookie1 wrote:Well, here it is. Seems like its just a super portable WiiU, unless there is something im missing. Meh overall IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

It's much more than that. You can do so much with this, and this covers ALL demographics. Think about it: You can attach the screen to the car seat and the kids can play games during the car ride. This is a great console for young kids. How about portable gamers? Well, you can play it as a fully fledged portable system. Yes, it won't fit in your pocket, but the days of dedicated small portables like the 3ds, etc are done. The sales of 3DS confirm that. It's a quickly shrinking market.

Now, how about the demographic that just wants a non-gimmicky Nintendo home console? This is that as well. Pro controller, no motion stuff. Just straight up Nintendo home console.

Also, Nintendo will now only be making 1 game, for both portable and console. No more getting a great game that is only available for portable, but can't play it on your big screen, and vice versa.

Lastly, check out the 3rd party support. Almost every major 3rd party is on board. I think the game library for this thing is going to be huge!

I really can't say enough about this thing. I'm beyond excited!

bluenote

Postby bluenote » October 20th, 2016, 11:52 am

CharlieR wrote:looks really cool, but something stood out to me: Those controllers look tiny! pause the trailer at 1:42 when the guys are playing Mario kart in the van.

Yes, but the beauty of it is that is only ONE way to play it. Most likely, you won't be playing that long in in a car like that so the discomfort wouldn't be such a big deal.

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » October 20th, 2016, 12:14 pm

I would had been more impressed by the new systems if the Wii U systems had never existed. Nintendo could had stayed focus on the original Wii systems much longer and still could have had games like Super Mario Maker and certain other games that eventually got made for the Wii U systems.

CharlieR wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxbK0TFN9H8

Nintendo switch. Looks good, name is kinda stupid.

Why did you find the name "stupid". I like it (it may sound or seem better to you if you were to refer to it as simply "the Switch").

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 20th, 2016, 12:54 pm

The name will catch on I guess. It gets the point across, signifying that you can switch from playing at home and on the go.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 20th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Nintendo Dom/Sub

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » October 20th, 2016, 1:14 pm

I think this is the ugliest console ever to exist outside the realm of really awful chinese knockoffs, but I think the modularity and versatility makes up for it. Now about those cartridges...

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 20th, 2016, 2:00 pm

bluenote wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:Well, here it is. Seems like its just a super portable WiiU, unless there is something im missing. Meh overall IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

It's much more than that. You can do so much with this, and this covers ALL demographics. Think about it: You can attach the screen to the car seat and the kids can play games during the car ride. This is a great console for young kids. How about portable gamers? Well, you can play it as a fully fledged portable system. Yes, it won't fit in your pocket, but the days of dedicated small portables like the 3ds, etc are done. The sales of 3DS confirm that. It's a quickly shrinking market.

Now, how about the demographic that just wants a non-gimmicky Nintendo home console? This is that as well. Pro controller, no motion stuff. Just straight up Nintendo home console.

Also, Nintendo will now only be making 1 game, for both portable and console. No more getting a great game that is only available for portable, but can't play it on your big screen, and vice versa.

Lastly, check out the 3rd party support. Almost every major 3rd party is on board. I think the game library for this thing is going to be huge!

I really can't say enough about this thing. I'm beyond excited!

It all boils down to the specs from here. If the specs were up to par (or better?) with current gen systems, I would gladly make the purchase if they had the same AAA titles offered on PS4/Xbone. I love Nintendo IP's, but held off on the WiiU because it was pretty much a dud from the start, and didnt get a PS4 because im cheap. If I could buy this, get all the Nintendo IPs I love as well as get all the other awesome AAA titles out there, I would gladly make the purchase just to have it as a dedicated console.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 20th, 2016, 2:32 pm

The one thing awesome about the Nintendo Switch is it could make companies switch from 3DS/PS Vita ports along with PS3/Xbox 360 to make all multi platform games be just PC/PS4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch in the near future once the Nintendo Switch gets popular.

I know the Wii U can do more then PS3/Xbox 360 in the right hands, but it looks like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Yooka-Laylee are going to be the swan song of showing what the Wii U can do with higher common denominator games.

But will see what happens.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 20th, 2016, 8:24 pm

I very much liked what I saw.

I even like the name. It doesn't sound stupid yet it also describes the nature of the product at the same time. Wii never did that and tacking a U at the end of it for the follow-up definitely didn't do that.

And since nobody has mentioned it, that's Skyrim Remastered that's shown in the trailer at one point. That one is quite a surprise and hopefully shows that Nintendo is going to work hard at getting 3rd parties on board. Too bad that no Switch version of Red Dead Redemption 2 was shown today as well in that reveal trailer, since that really would've surprised people in a good way and hopefully would allay fears that this doesn't have the horsepower to be taken seriously by major AAA 3rd party publishers.

Hardcore Sadism wrote:I think this is the ugliest console ever to exist outside the realm of really awful chinese knockoffs, but I think the modularity and versatility makes up for it. Now about those cartridges...

It only looks strange when docked.

And I'm glad that it looks strange, since the way they've designed it, the screen is actually protected while docked. Something like the Wii U charging dock, while it looks nicer, just leaves the screen vulnerable to damage from pets, collects dust, etc.

Return to “Modern Gaming”