Retro-Bit Generations Plug and Play?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
snakeboy

Retro-Bit Generations Plug and Play?

Postby snakeboy » October 13th, 2016, 12:00 am

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Genera ... ideo+Games

Has anyone seen this yet? I figured I would pass this along since I know several people here show interest in these, even the VGC. I'm always intrigued by plug and plays though I rarely buy them, as I only own the Colecovision Flashback and Atari Flashback 2.

This one caught my eye for a couple reasons. First of all, it has an HDMI port, which is nice to see. And secondly, the game selection is interesting with what looks like a mix of NES, SNES, and Genesis games from Capcom, Data East, Irem, and Jaleco.

There are quite a few familiar names here like Ghouls n Ghosts, Bases Loaded, and Bionic Commando, but also a bunch of odd-ball stuff -- games with names like Corn Buster, Creepy Bird, Operation Logic Bomb, Water Margin, and Zooming Secretaries (yes, Zooming Secretaries). One game that stood out to me is the Famicom-only platformer Holy Diver, which kind of plays like Castlevania meets NES Batman.

scotland

Re: Retro-Bit Generations Plug and Play?

Postby scotland » October 13th, 2016, 5:26 am

I had not heard about this.

What an odd collection of games. Is that Super 3D Noahs Ark now in HD. With a sega genesis like controller too - don't you need shoulder buttons for that game? Too funny.

Considering we canot even preorder that Nintendo mini NES, its nice to see other retrogaming alternatives.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 13th, 2016, 6:12 am

I heard Pat the NES Punk talk about this a while back. Pretty cool lineup as a lot of those games are japan only releases. I wouldnt drop $60 on that though. Maybe $30 at the most.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » October 29th, 2016, 10:52 am

snakeboy wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Generations-Console-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B01M3MXULZ/ref=sr_1_11/166-6826770-5072357?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1476324183&sr=1-11&keywords=Video+Games

Has anyone seen this yet? I figured I would pass this along since I know several people here show interest in these, even the VGC. I'm always intrigued by plug and plays though I rarely buy them, as I only own the Colecovision Flashback and Atari Flashback 2.

This one caught my eye for a couple reasons. First of all, it has an HDMI port, which is nice to see. And secondly, the game selection is interesting with what looks like a mix of NES, SNES, and Genesis games from Capcom, Data East, Irem, and Jaleco.

There are quite a few familiar names here like Ghouls n Ghosts, Bases Loaded, and Bionic Commando, but also a bunch of odd-ball stuff -- games with names like Corn Buster, Creepy Bird, Operation Logic Bomb, Water Margin, and Zooming Secretaries (yes, Zooming Secretaries). One game that stood out to me is the Famicom-only platformer Holy Diver, which kind of plays like Castlevania meets NES Batman.

Those oddball games are all later day homebrew releases. For instance Zooming Secretaries is an indie developed NES homebrew from recent years. Same with Creepy Bird IIRC. Not much money needed to license that type of thing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 29th, 2016, 2:55 pm

I'm intrigued because there are some big name titles on this! How did I not hear about it? I want one.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » November 1st, 2016, 10:58 pm

twilighthotel wrote:Those oddball games are all later day homebrew releases. For instance Zooming Secretaries is an indie developed NES homebrew from recent years. Same with Creepy Bird IIRC. Not much money needed to license that type of thing.

Thanks for the info - I had no idea. I kind of thought maybe they were Japan-only games with goofy English-translated titles.

The fact that they are homebrews intrigues me even more, though I won't get my hopes up too high as far as quality. I checked out a video of Zooming Secretary (apparently the actual title is singular), and its gameplay didn't look, uh, all that exciting. Who knows though - maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

rentdrestbb

Retro Bit Generations Plug and Play

Postby rentdrestbb » November 25th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Retro shops, some random game stores have them, and ebay. Online prices arent fantastic but sometimes cheaper of some of the retro shops around.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 26th, 2016, 6:09 am

This is a great option for those who like to listen to games without the audio, and who don't mind the input lag. The weird collection of random titles is a great way to remember the 90's, back when there were libraries of roms to try in Nesticle, ZNES, and Genecyst, and nobody to tell you which ones were worth downloading.

Return to “Classic Gaming”