Xbox One console review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Xbox One console review

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Let me know what you think about my brutally honest Xbox One review.

http://videogamecritic.com/xb1info.htm

Atariboy

Re: Xbox One console review

Postby Atariboy » November 11th, 2016, 2:59 am

Rise of the Tomb Raider, if it hasn't already appeared on the PS4, is just days away from release since Microsoft only had timed exclusivity and it was always set for a 2016 PS4 release.

So I'm afraid mentioning that as a Xbox One exclusive is already out of date.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 11th, 2016, 6:09 am

It is fair and I would agree with everything. I do think you need to put the proviso that it is now backwards compatible with 300 titles. That is a lot more that 360 managed and they work a lot better. Having said that I still think that the 360 was a better console as the online requirement still makes this console a pain to use at times.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 11th, 2016, 8:43 am

supports up to 7 controllers. wow. Surprised they used batteries.

I don't own one, but the always online thing would bother me. Just the thought of relying on something (internet) that could either be spotty or not there at all is something that would bother me. Internet goes out sometimes. I would think there would be a lot of waiting with this console. Waiting for installs. Waiting for updates. Waiting for your internet if it's slow or out. Waiting for opponents in an online game. With these new consoles, they think they've made everything better, but it seems to be a hassle.

I did like reading the part about collectability. It's a sad truth about these games. I don't think Microsoft really thought that one through. Just because you can (theoretically) be online 24/7 doesn't mean you should require it. I really only have one game that requires online, Super Mario Maker. What happens if my internet is slow or out? Even worse, what happens if I actually want to play the game in 5-10 years? There is offline stuff in the game, but it's not the main feature.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » November 11th, 2016, 1:21 pm

As someone who owns all three current-gen systems, I can safely say the Xbox One would be my least favorite even without the constant updates and general Internet-related nagging. Whenever there is a multiplatform game I really want, I always spring for the PS4 version because I find its controller more comfortable. For some reason, I always have to push in the "home" button (the one with the Xbox logo on it) rather hard to get a response out of it, even though my controller hasn't been used by anyone but me. Add that to the lackluster list of exclusives, and it's clear that the Xbox One is the weakest console of the generation (not counting the Ouya).

Tron

Postby Tron » November 11th, 2016, 11:57 pm

I'm starting to rethink if I want to get an Xbox One now.

My plan was to get it so I could play Skyrim with mods. After I got the mods installed I planned on taking the Xbox offline. Basically I wanted to use the Internet to get the mods and then quickly disconnect it. From what it sounds like this system is a pain, maybe even borderline not functionable without the internet.

So I'm not sure if I want nagging for Internet or a dashboard that can't work without the internet. I certainly don't want the system to constantly keep scanning for the internet and then reminding me of how much better off my life would be if only it could hook up to the Internet.

Any of you folks use the Xbox One offline and are happy with it?

ESauce

Postby ESauce » November 23rd, 2016, 4:34 pm

You mentioned Street Fighter V as a game for Xbox One but I believe that is a PS4 exclusive.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 23rd, 2016, 4:53 pm

Atariboy wrote:Rise of the Tomb Raider, if it hasn't already appeared on the PS4, is just days away from release since Microsoft only had timed exclusivity and it was always set for a 2016 PS4 release.

So I'm afraid mentioning that as a Xbox One exclusive is already out of date.

This actually released for the PS4 on October 11th.

So it hadn't been a Xbox console exclusive for a month before you posted your review. :oops:

There was also an excellent 360 port that appeared alongside the XB1 version last year, so it really was more a Microsoft exclusive in the console world anyways rather than a XB1 exclusive.

delmetrra

Xbox One console review

Postby delmetrra » November 24th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Theyre rolling out over 300,000 apparently, hopefully at least one will make its way here, unless they already have one...then two would be nice.

Return to “Review Feedback”