Help! Game room ideas?

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Re: Help! Game room ideas?

Postby scotland » November 27th, 2016, 6:51 am

Came across this person's (Kirkwood Rietveld) game room. I think we have a winner
http://imgur.com/a/84kpy

Sut

Postby Sut » November 27th, 2016, 9:28 am

scotland wrote:Came across this person's (Kirkwood Rietveld) game room. I think we have a winner

That room is a Retro gamers wet dream ! Wonder how much time he spends playing. Seems he's got a quite few hooked up and ready to go.

Wonder if That Gen 1 Coleco Arcade console works ?

Love his boxed Atari collection as well looks like he's got all the Atari systems bar the Falcon.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 27th, 2016, 11:12 am

Make sure you hit the 'load 6 more pictures' button to see even more photos. There are even board games of video games, like a Pac Man board game.

You could use these photos to make a 'I Spy' book. I need a schematic to identify all the systems in these photos.

From what I can tell, this guy is pretty young.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 1st, 2016, 11:49 am

Forgot about this post! Thanks for the reminder. That guy's room that scotland posted is definitely nice...hopefully I can be that organized.

My room is coming along slowly but surely, especially with all the other projects around the new home. But I've been working on it..I have a vision in my head finally, and it sometimes changes itself as I go along. I've incorporated a lot of ideas from you guys (or plan to) and stolen some ideas from photos of other gamerooms, and then come up with some ideas of my own.

Fortunately, while my girlfriend doesn't like gaming much, she is a big fan of organizing, so it's become a group project and she's even doing a database of all my games and game values (thanks PriceCharting!), system by system. I tell you, decent furniture is not cheap for this room. I've spent more on furniture here than my living room! So far I've bought 5 good quality, large media shelves and it's cost me over $600!... I've also bought a small entertainment stand to fit my CRT TV and a few systems. And a cheap computer desk, which is my "retro computer station" where I have my Apple IIe set up right now. Right now I'm just working on getting all the games on shelves. Was hoping I'd only need 4 shelves, but now I'm going on #5 (it's weird how, once you start realizing how quickly space fills up, that you start hoping you have less games....like "jeez, I hope I don't find another box of 2600 games, because I don't know where I'll put them.."). After that, I'll have room for maybe one more shelf along the wall, which hopefully I can dedicate to my portable systems. I'm hoping that the small size of portable games and systems allows me to fit them all on one shelf..but I might be being over optimistic.

Hopefully, I'll remember this post next time, and I'll try to get photos as I go along. Thanks again for all the input and ideas.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 1st, 2016, 12:17 pm

Just for starters, here's my original "Before" photos.

IMG_3011.jpg
IMG_3011.jpg (117.65 KiB) Viewed 2270 times

So here is the room itself, as it looked when we first moved in. It's an extra upstairs bedroom. (Floors were since refinished and much has been added.)

IMG_3912.jpg
IMG_3912.jpg (173.33 KiB) Viewed 2270 times

Here's the same room from the other angle. Fortunately those shelves were already there from the prior owner. They're ugly, but too useful to get rid of (and I'm too lazy to remove them and repaint). I want to keep the brackets and get new wood shelf pieces, and then put my systems on them. With the TV underneath, so that the systems surround the TV.

IMG_3010.jpg
IMG_3010.jpg (132.74 KiB) Viewed 2270 times

Here's my "storage room", which is another extra bedroom. This is the majority of my gaming stuff, which I have to organize and get on shelves in the game room. Most of this was sitting in storage for years while I went through school and bounced around apartments, and I'm glad to finally have it all out. Big project, but looking forward to getting it all set up. Some of this is already on shelves now.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 1st, 2016, 2:20 pm

Looks like some of the photos are out of order with the captions in the post above, but you get the idea.

zetax

Postby zetax » December 1st, 2016, 7:02 pm

scotland wrote:Came across this person's (Kirkwood Rietveld) game room. I think we have a winner

It's a heck of a collection to be sure, but the picture I found to be the most interesting (curious?) was the one with the C-128 monitor sitting inside a...mirrored box? Then it hit me, it's a rear-projection LCD TV with the front screen removed! I always wondered what the inside of my old 50" Sony Wega looked like!

I know this is more a matter of personal taste, but I'm not a huge fan of displaying console boxes. I keep all of mine, just out of sight. I know they are big and colorful (usually) and fill an impressive amount of space, but I think things tend to get a bit too "warehouse" looking.... I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » December 1st, 2016, 8:43 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Just for starters, here's my original "Before" photos.

IMG_3011.jpg

So here is the room itself, as it looked when we first moved in. It's an extra upstairs bedroom. (Floors were since refinished and much has been added.)

IMG_3910.jpg

Here's the same room from the other angle. Fortunately those shelves were already there from the prior owner. They're ugly, but too useful to get rid of (and I'm too lazy to remove them and repaint). I want to keep the brackets and get new wood shelf pieces, and then put my systems on them. With the TV underneath, so that the systems surround the TV.

IMG_3012.jpg

Here's my "storage room", which is another extra bedroom. This is the majority of my gaming stuff, which I have to organize and get on shelves in the game room. Most of this was sitting in storage for years while I went through school and bounced around apartments, and I'm glad to finally have it all out. Big project, but looking forward to getting it all set up. Some of this is already on shelves now.

I see a room with plenty of potential. One question though. Are you keeping the cinder blocks? I actually used cinder blocks and some wood shelving for a tv stand in college.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 1st, 2016, 11:59 pm

zetax wrote: I know this is more a matter of personal taste, but I'm not a huge fan of displaying console boxes. I keep all of mine, just out of sight. I know they are big and colorful (usually) and fill an impressive amount of space, but I think things tend to get a bit too "warehouse" looking.... I dunno, maybe it's just me.

While I haven't personally tried it yet, I think I'm in favor of displaying boxes. Within the past month or two, I actually just bought about 5 system boxes that I was missing for certain systems, just for the purpose of displaying. To me, the box is like a piece of art about the console. I may change my mind once I set some up, but at the moment I'm leaning that way.

One thing I've decided against, though, is items like posters. For lack of a better word, I'm trying to go with a "professional" or "museum" type look to room (again, those aren't the right words, but can't think of better), and I worry that posters and art will detract from that and end up looking more bedroomy.

Luigi & Peach wrote:I see a room with plenty of potential. One question though. Are you keeping the cinder blocks? I actually used cinder blocks and some wood shelving for a tv stand in college.

Thanks. For the cinder blocks, no, I moved those to the basement. I bought a small TV stand. Nothing huge. This is actually the one I bought right here:

http://www.biglots.com/product/60-mango ... 4&pos=1:10

It's wide, so it fits my Samsung CRT TV on top with two consoles there (one on each side of the TV) and then 3 consoles below (one in each slot), plus drawers for controllers and hookups. I may also try to use the wall shelves behind the TV to set up more consoles and connect them directly from there. My goal when picking a TV stand was that it had to fit perfectly in the space below the wall shelves (wide but not too wide) and also not too tall (or else it would take away from the wall shelf space) and while still having room in it for some consoles of its own... and that TV stand fit the bill perfectly.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 29th, 2017, 11:34 am

Just as an update, I'm about half done with the room, and hope to finish it by March. Thanks to everyone for the ideas; you've helped a lot.

Return to “Video Games General”