Favorite Comedians

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Favorite Comedians

Postby Retrology » December 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm

We all like to laugh, and comedy is arguably the most popular form of modern day philosophy. So which comedians are your favorites?

Here's mine

George Carlin: The master of communication in comedy. Always trying to make you laugh while being unafraid of challenging society and the barriers and limitations with language and combining both of them into one hilarious style. You could tell he was extremely hilarious but never if he was serious or kidding. That's what made him great.

Steven Wright: Imagine if the movie Airplane! was a real person. You'd get Wright. His deadpan humor was ahead of his time, and it was just nonstop jokes that nearly killed me from laughter. I love how nonchalant and monotone he was; it made him standout.

Jim Gaffigan: A southern Steven Wright, and the rare comedian that can avoid swearing without neutering his comedy. HOT POCKETS!!!

Dave Chappelle: How can you not love this guy? The Chappelle Show was gone way too soon, and this guy in general was just hilarious (The Prince parody being the funniest). His comedy pushes limits but it's also not tasteless. It's never obnoxious and that makes it all the funnier.

Bill Hicks: A younger more p***** off George Carlin for Gen X. Didn't care what people thought and had a lot of fun screwing with society's values. Exclusively dark humor.

Honorable Mentions: Daniel Tosh, Rodney Dangerfield, Jerry Seinfeld, Louis C.K., Chris Rock.

Atariboy

Re: Favorite Comedians

Postby Atariboy » December 10th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Danny Thomas, Lucille Ball, Tim Conway, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett, and Chevy Chase for starters.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 10th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Gerry D: He's Canadian, so I'm not sure how many people outside of here know him (he's pretty big here, and has his own sitcom). He used to be a teacher and does some incredible stuff insulting his students. He's really great live, and does a lot of audience interaction stuff. If you want to know his stuff, this is a great place to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4fc1cQI2Q

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » December 11th, 2016, 9:43 am

Retrology wrote:Jim Gaffigan: A southern Steven Wright, and the rare comedian that can avoid swearing without neutering his comedy. HOT POCKETS!!!

Dave Chappelle: How can you not love this guy? The Chappelle Show was gone way too soon, and this guy in general was just hilarious (The Prince parody being the funniest). His comedy pushes limits but it's also not tasteless. It's never obnoxious and that makes it all the funnier.

I second Jim Gaffigan. To this day I still chuckle a little at the mere mention of Hot Pockets. I love his take on how cake brings people together too.

Dave Chappelle's skit with Wayne Brady had to be one of the funniest things I ever saw.

Although his career was extremely short (I believe he passed from an aneurysm), I really enjoyed Mitch Hedberg. The jokes were good but his speech style and pattern were what really put him over the top for me.

Rev

Postby Rev » December 11th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Amy Schumer. I have had a lot of comedians I've liked over the years but none to the extent that I've liked her. I know get comedy is either hit or miss with people but to my she's comedy gold. In Kansas, I saw her in the Sprint Center live. She stayed way longer than she was supposed to and put on basically a second show after the first one. She'll probably never get invited to come back after that lol but it made the night special.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 11th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, Groucho Marx, Steven Wright, Eddie Murphy, Dean Martin, David Letterman, Jerry Seinfeld.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 11th, 2016, 5:20 pm

In no particular order:

Gad Elmaleh
Steven Wright
Groucho Marx
Spike Milligan
Gilbert Gottfried

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » December 12th, 2016, 9:11 am

Will do a combination of stand-up, variety show and movie performers.

Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, John Candy, Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Chris Farley, Denis Leary, Sam Kinison, Chris Kattan, Andrew Dice Clay, Mike Myers, Wayne Brady, Jay Leno, David Spade, Rodney Dangerfield.

Andrew Dice Clay was a guilty pleasure back in the day, too :roll:

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 17th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Mitch Hedberg, for sure. Not much material, since he died so young, but all of it is so classic.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » December 19th, 2016, 12:53 pm

John Pinette. I always loved his "Show Me the Buffet" album. If he was still alive, I'd pay top dollar to see him live.

Return to “Other Media”