Most Unreliable Console?

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby ptdebate1 » July 13th, 2014, 7:14 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]Currently have two PS3s, a 320 gigas for 'regular TV use' I've had for a while now. Can't complain, works like a charm. I also recently purchased the Ultra Slim 500 gigas, so that I could equip my recently acquired Vewlix L arcade machine (along with a Slim 360). It performs flawlessly, so far.[/QUOTE]

I have a super slim which I outfitted with an SSD. It just feels so cheap and flimsy in comparison to the slim!

Dogtanian1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Dogtanian1 » July 14th, 2014, 6:52 am

I've had similar experiences to many of you. Two Game Gears have succumbed due to the infamous capacitors. I had to send back a TurboDuo to Japan as there was no sign of life on arrival. Fortunately the TurboDuo RX is sturdier. My toaster NES is utterly unreliable, so I upgraded to an AV Famicom and use a converter.

The system I have had most trouble with is actually the Saturn. However, it was only after getting through two of them that I realised it isn't the system so much as the CDs themselves, and the necessity to read the outer layer for copy protection purposes means that even the tiniest scratches can be fatal. Getting the discs cleaned professionally makes all the difference. Conversely I have never had any problems with my Japanese Saturn, which is probably because the discs are less scratched due to the superior packaging.

bronZfonZ1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby bronZfonZ1 » July 19th, 2014, 7:05 pm

In my personal experience, the original Xbox 360 design (white and the black Elite) was the least reliable console. My Elite went RROD in less than a year. My 30+ year old ColecoVision and 26 year old NES are still going strong.

NuonGamer1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby NuonGamer1 » July 22nd, 2014, 10:36 pm

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, Astrocades are notoriously unreliable and prone to untimely failure due to overheating and chip failures. Even back in the day there were reports of abnormally high failure rates. I've owned 6 at different points, and only one has worked reliably, another works well for a half-hour before suddenly shutting off, two others powered on but displayed no video, and the other two were dead on arrival.

The original model of the Channel F is almost as bad in my experience. Even if you can find a fully working model that powers on and has no display issues you still have to be careful of the hardwired power supply and joysticks that can easily be worn off. The revised System II model of the Channel F has detachable joysticks and much greater durability in general.

Sut1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Sut1 » July 23rd, 2014, 3:39 am

I'm strangely interested in the Astrocade as it was never released in Europe, but I ain't hearing that it had much going for it. Is it a case of replacing capacitors like the Game Gear or are there numerous issues with the console ?
It would cost a small fortune to import one and if it ended up not being reliable or DOA, well I don't have money to burn.

NuonGamer1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby NuonGamer1 » July 23rd, 2014, 2:42 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]I'm strangely interested in the Astrocade as it was never released in Europe, but I ain't hearing that it had much going for it. Is it a case of replacing capacitors like the Game Gear or are there numerous issues with the console ? It would cost a small fortune to import one and if it ended up not being reliable or DOA, well I don't have money to burn.[/QUOTE]

Shipping one to Europe? As an Astrocade fan I'd say it isn't worth it. Overheating (especially via the bottom air vents) is the greatest concern, but the custom chips inside are also unreliable. If you are ever foruntate enough to visit a US collector who owns a working one or to see one at a convention then take the opportunity to play it. It truly is a unique experience!

Marriott_Guy1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » July 25th, 2014, 7:58 am

As has been said, the Astrocade (and its variants) is a sensitive system.  I have a couple of them, but in all honesty they do not get a great of play.  Plus, that plastic top tray is super fragile and prone to cracking. 

Sut

Re: Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Sut » December 16th, 2016, 5:18 am

OK it's not a console but my third (yes third) Atari ST has died. The power flashed for a second then no pulse. I've tried changing the lead to no avail.

I've posted on an actual ST forum to see if there is an easy fix. But rather looks like I'll be hunting for my forth ST.

To be honest the only reason I persist with an ST is the fact it's the system I had as a young teenager and it holds must nostalgia for me.

But this going again brings back some good memories. I think I was 14 or 15 my then ST just broke down for a second time that year, in retrospect with reasonably good timing a couple of weeks before Christmas (my Game Boy got a lot of love in this period). I asked my dad if I could have my ST repaired for Christmas.

Christmas came and my dad must have decided not to keep throwing money at the thing (it was second hand when he bought it me, my first computer the Spectrum was also second hand). To my absolute joy and surprise he bought me a Sega Mega Drive - brand new ! My first ever brand new gaming system. I fell in love with the system and Sega that very Christmas. I've stuck with consoles ever since after realising what a pain in the arse computers can be. Thanks dad.

scotland

Postby scotland » December 16th, 2016, 5:40 am

I hear you, my friend.

There is just so much more on those PCBs to fail, compared to something like the Mega Drive. I was weighing whether to get a VIC 20 multicart from the British 'thefuturewas8bit' company for Christmas. My VIC works fine, but I have had several C64 failures. It makes you hesitate to invest.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 16th, 2016, 7:07 pm

I'm also a former Atari ST owner - I had the 1040 model back in the day. Sometimes I think about picking up another one. I remember some excellent games like Time Bandits, Starglider, Winter Games, Double Dragon, and some motorcycle game. But hearing about their lack of durability makes me think twice.

Return to “Video Games General”